Let No One Sleep by Juan José…

Let No One Sleep (edition 2022)

by Juan José Millás (Author), Thomas Bunstead (Translator)

"After the IT firm where she works shuts down, Lucía has a vision of her future career as a taxi driver, brought on by the intoxicating opera floating through her apartment's air vent. She obtains her taxi license and meets the neighbor responsible for the music. Calaf, he says, is his name, also the name of the character from Puccini's Turandot and the name of the bird Lucía received on her 10th birthday from her long-since-dead mother. When Calaf moves out of her building, Lucía becomes obsessed, driving through Madrid and searching for him on every corner, meeting intriguing characters along the way. What follows is a surreal tale of superstition and coincidence, featuring Millás's singular dark humor. Let No One Sleep is a delirious novel in which the mundane and extraordinary collide, art revives and devastates, and identity is unhinged by the forces of globalized capitalism"--… (more)
Member:joecanas
Title:Let No One Sleep
Authors:Juan José Millás (Author)
Other authors:Thomas Bunstead (Translator)
Info:Bellevue Literary Press (2022), 208 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

Let No One Sleep by Juan José Millás

English (6)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
Brillante. Me parece perfecto. ( )
  castordm | Jun 19, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A compelling and energetic story of devotion, art, fiction and reality. It was a wild ride and seeks to explore some deep questions through Lucia’s quest for meaning. For me, it was marred at times by the male writer’s point of view intruding when writing a female main character. Overall I enjoyed this book, which I received as an advanced review copy. ( )
  SiriJR | Sep 23, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I finished this book in a single sitting, and a day later I'm still trying to absorb it. It was unassuming but stealthy, and not until the end did I realize what a journey I'd been on with this this odd story about a taxi driver. I'm still contemplating -- what is it to be crazy, and what is it to act with cruelty? when does coincidence become conspiracy? The story is carried along on the current of the main character's obsession, but the extent to which she might actually be a very mentally ill person, and not merely a slightly strange and singular one, is something the author masterfully obfuscates. The prose moved the action along swiftly and this was a light and easy read; I tend to enjoy more literary writing -- allusions that make me stop and consider , sentences that have to be savored -- but this was ultimately a satisfying and sticky read.
  SLandis | Sep 1, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has the singular distinction of being the weirdest book I have ever read. I wouldn't have even finished it but I had insomnia and it was the book beside the bed. However, the ending did surprise me, so I gave it 3 stars for the ingenuity. ( )
  psychomamma | Aug 12, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an advanced reader's copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

From the Shadows, Juan Jose Millas' first book to be published in North America, was a dark and compelling theatre of the absurd. Let No One Sleep is a comic opera fueled by obsession, identity, revenge, and lots of Pucinni.

Lucia is a computer programmer turned taxi driver who is obsessed with finding the actor who used to be her neighbor and played the music of Turnadot loud enough that she could hear it through the vents in her bathroom. Lucia spends her days (and nights) traveling the streets of Madrid (and in her mind, Beijing) looking to pick him up. Along the way she meets an amazing collection of people.

Buckle up, its going to be a great ride because something is going to happen! ( )
  Felliot | Aug 4, 2022 |

Juan José Millásprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bunstead, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Juan José Millás's book Let No One Sleep was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,803,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible