Always Forever Maybe by Anica Mrose Rissi

Always Forever Maybe (edition 2018)

by Anica Mrose Rissi (Author)

A powerful YA debut, told with astonishing insight and wit, about the depths and boundaries of true friendship and obsessive teenage love--perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, E. Lockhart, and Sara Zarr. When Betts meets Aiden at the candy store where she works, their connection is like a sugar rush to the heart. Betts already knows the two of them are infinite. Inevitable. Destined to become an us. Betts has only ever kept one secret from her best friend, Jo, but suddenly there's a long list of things she won't tell her, things Jo wouldn't understand. Because Jo doesn't see how good Aiden is for Betts. She finds him needy. Possessive. Controlling. She's wrong. With a love like this, nothing else matters.… (more)
Member:emwilliams
Title:Always Forever Maybe
Authors:Anica Mrose Rissi (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2018), 256 pages

Work Information

Always Forever Maybe by Anica Mrose Rissi

3.5 stars.

This was a hard read for me. I am not this girl, but I know several girls just like this at my high school. An important book I will buy. ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
Sometimes you’re driving around minding your own business then you see some idiot speeding by swerving in and out of lanes causing near accidents. It almost makes you wish you had a megaphone so you could yell into it and tell the person to slow down before something horrible happens but you can’t. Then the thing you know was bound to happen does and are left watching in horror as the driver enters a lane miscalculating the distance between their car and the other causing a horrible wreck. It doesn’t surprise you but that doesn’t make it any less horrifying.

Betts is in her senior year enjoying the last hurrah with her best friends and working to save up for college. She works at a candy shop where she meets this incredibly cute guy named Aiden. From there they meet up and instantly fall in love. Betts is on cloud nine but still can’t see the bigger picture.

There are many instances where you want to reach in and tell Betts to leave and get away but she doesn’t. Which is very realistic when it comes to an abusive relationship. They won’t listen and it’s hard for them to believe it’s not their fault because the abuser has groomed them for it. I can find the short timetable realistic because of how young Betts is. By the sound of her family life, a bit of rebellion was a long time coming.

One of the highlights of this book was Betts’ best friend Jo. She was a headstrong, blunt and very confident character. Jo sort of caught onto how shady of character her best friend’s boyfriend was but still gave Betts her space. Even then she never gave up and was there for the emotional support Betts needed to come to terms with the abusive relationship she was in. A weak point of the story was Jo’s twin brother Eric. Not that he wasn’t important but the almost triangle that could’ve happened was not necessary, at least not in this story. Betts’ friendship with him would have sufficed to show the angle of possessiveness that Aiden was slowly making more obvious.

I think it’s an important story young girls and boys should be reading. It could happen to anyone even those who seem like they have their whole life put together and figured out. There are many Tedtalks about strong confident women entering an abusive relationship and didn’t even realize it until it was almost too late. I highly recommend checking those out as well. ( )
  Jessika.C | Nov 4, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,316,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible