Around the world in 80 trees by Jonathan…

Around the world in 80 trees (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Jonathan Drori, Lucille Clerc (Illustrator.)

Trees are one of humanity's most constant and most varied companions. From India's sacred banyan tree to the fragrant cedar of Lebanon, they offer us sanctuary and inspiration - not to mention the raw materials for everything from aspirin to maple syrup. In Around the World in 80 Trees, expert Jonathan Drori uses plant science to illuminate how trees play a role in every part of human life, from the romantic to the regrettable. Stops on the trip include the lime trees of Berlin's Unter den Linden boulevard, which intoxicate amorous Germans and hungry bees alike, the swankiest streets in nineteenth-century London, which were paved with Australian eucalyptus wood, and the redwood forests of California, where the secret to the trees' soaring heights can be found in the properties of the tiniest drops of water. Each of these strange and true tales - populated by self-mummifying monks, tree-climbing goats and ever-so-slightly radioactive nuts - is illustrated by Lucille Clerc, taking the reader on a journey that is as informative as it is beautiful.… (more)
Member:ltfl_uvicca
Title:Around the world in 80 trees
Authors:Jonathan Drori
Other authors:Lucille Clerc (Illustrator.)
Info:London, United Kingdom : Laurence King Publishing, 2018.

Work Information

Around the World in 80 Trees by Jonathan Drori (2018)

You know trees are alive. But do you think of them as living beings? With individuality? And needs?

You will after reading this book.

Author Jonathan Drori, an Ambassador for the WWF and Trustee of the Eden Project, accompanied by illustrator Lucille Clere, takes us on a trip through trees around the world. He visits with trees I know well, like the Elm and the Lodgepole Pine and the Baobob and the Date Palm, but he adds stories and details about the familiar that are surprising and unexpected. He also makes stops with trees I knew little about including the Brazil Nut and the Neem and the Coco-de-mer and makes me add these to my list of favorite trees. Drori is a former documentary film maker for the BBC. I hope someone will make this into a documentary.

I know that not everyone is as enamored of trees as I am (yes, I even have a Goodreads tag of trees), but even if you don't think you are, you still might enjoy this book; I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't.

#2020ReadNonFic ( )
  debnance | Nov 9, 2021 |
A wonderful, informative and interesting opus. The great novelty presented by Jonathan Drori is the "Where to go next" chapter rather than the typical "List of references". This is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. This approach should be universally adopted for non-academic works. "Where to go next" is a few pages of books "To suit any enthusiastic lay reader", "Delving deeper", "By location", "By theme", "Even more specialized sources" and a page of "Online resources with free access". Big Thanks for that to the author and the editorial staff. ( )
  MatkaBoska | Sep 2, 2021 |
As others have, I read this book over many weeks - one or two trees at a time. Now that I am finished, I look back on it as a sort of leisurely botanical trip around the world. Very enjoyable. And Ms. Clerc's illustrations are marvelous - a vital contribution to the book. ( )
  heggiep | Jul 26, 2021 |
nonfiction (trees/biology)
Following his popular TED talks, the author briefly discusses each of 80 separate species of tree and how they have evolved alongside humans and other life forms. Includes color drawings that reflect the trees' histories. An interesting, leisurely read.

Also recommended: [bc:The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World|28256439|The Hidden Life of Trees What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World|Peter Wohlleben|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1464281905l/28256439._SX50_.jpg|48295241] ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Great book informative.
Only mistake I noticed was on Breadfruit, Artocarpus altilis should read William Bligh not Robert p195 line 6. ( )
  Bikebear | Oct 16, 2020 |

Jonathan Droriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clerc, LucilleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor mijn ouders, die me hebben geïnspireerd met botanische kennis en de schoonheid van planten
Ik ben opgegroeid in de buurt van
Kew Gardens in Londen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,425,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible