Lead from the Outside: How to Build Your…

Lead from the Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Stacey Abrams (Author)

"Minority Leader is a guide to harnessing the strengths of being an outsider by Stacey Abrams, slated to become the first black female governor in the U.S. Networking, persistence, and hard work are the crucial ingredients to advancing a career, but for people like Stacey Abrams, and many in the New American Majority, it takes more than that to get ahead. Stacey, who grew up in a working poor family in Gulfport, Mississippi, rose from humble roots to Yale Law School, and through a career in C-suite businesses, to become the first woman to lead either party in the Georgia General Assembly and the first African American to lead in the House of Representatives. In Minority Leader, Stacey combines aspects of memoir with real-world advice for women and people of color, offering hard-won insights for navigating worlds that, until now, were largely the territory of white men alone. Stacey encourages her readers both to leverage otherness to their advantage and to recognize their own underlying feelings of unworthiness and legitimate fears. Sure, networking helps, but so do well-chosen mentors, thoughtful self-advocacy, and, above all, pinpointing one's genuine passions. Stacey applies her lessons to the recent graduate taking her big idea to the startup level, the Latino city councilman eyeing the mayor's office, and the young assistant navigating her way to a higher position. There is precious little such wisdom out there. Stacey is determined to change that."--Provided by publisher.… (more)
Member:Katie-Bell-Moore
Title:Lead from the Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change
Authors:Stacey Abrams (Author)
Info:Picador (2019), Edition: Reprint, 256 pages

Lead from the Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change by Stacey Abrams (2018)

Fairly self-help-y about owning your power etc., which means I have to update my opinion about the advice because clearly she knows what she’s talking about. One pull quote: “I have never heard of a student refusing admission to an Ivy League college because her father is why she got into the top-rated school. Likewise, we ‘others’ must be bold in our acceptance of quotas as a way to advance.” Abrams also breaks down the different types of people who can serve mentor-like roles, including peers, and suggests strategies for maximizing their assistance to you, including being clear about what you want from them because most people who want to help you want you to help them help you. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 19, 2021 |
I related to Abrams more than I thought I would; a book so focused on privilege is surprisingly universal. It's not about race or gender, it's about people who simply don't feel welcome. This obviously happens more often, and on a more fundamental level, for people from marginalized communities. But Abrams herself makes it clear this book is just as much for people who told they are too young, as it is for people who are told that women/POC cannot accomplish what white men can.

It's a bit cheesy, and less memoir-y than I expected. But it's a sweet and hopeful self-help book from somebody that genuinely wants to make the reader feel inspired. I'm sure writing this book was part of her spreadsheet's plan to become governor, but it reads like somebody who just wants to help and doesn't expect anything in return.

I like Stacey Abrams, and I expect we are only beginning to see her face and hear her name. There's more to come from her. ( )
1 vote MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |
As others have noted, this is an awkward mix of self help and political/personal memoir. I would have preferred none of the former. She’s great, though. I look forward to our collective future path. 🙂 ( )
  joyblue | Mar 20, 2020 |
At this point it isn't clear what Abrams next move is - run for GA gov again, VP on the Dem ticket next year? I am hopeful. This memoir/manual explains how to grab hold of opportunity as it bobs by in the stream. I cannot wait to learn what Abrams does next, she will have my full support. ( )
  kcshankd | May 12, 2019 |
Well, it seemed a very timely read and remains so as the GA governor's race not yet over. I had picked this up solely on the basis of the fact that she wrote it (plus that she used to write romance novels). I thought this would be a book about her life and times and how she got to where we are now.

Not quite. Unfortunately I wish I had read something, anything before picking this up but it turns out it's a little less of a memoir/autobiography and more of a book about self-help/motivation or a roadmap of how she got to the place to run for governor for the state of Georgia. Which could certainly be great and I'm glad to see a book like this since we've had so many from others (see 'Run For Something' for example), but it wasn't what I thought it would be.

There are pieces of her life story here and that's cool, but what I wanted and hope for was a biography. I also wasn't particularly interested as a reader--it could be because it's more of a self-help/motivational type book rather than a straightforward biography.

So I would imagine this is definitely for some, especially if (for example) you're a black woman who is considering running for office (good luck if you do!). But it wasn't quite what I was looking for and the library borrow was the best for me. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Nov 10, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,193,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible