Club Dead (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book…

Club Dead (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 3) (edition 2004)

by Charlaine Harris (Author)

Member:BellaJean
Title:Club Dead (Southern Vampire Mysteries, Book 3)
Authors:Charlaine Harris (Author)
Info:Time Warner Books Uk (2004), 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:all-books-i-ve-read-over-the-years

Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

English (241)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (244)
HERE BE SPOILERS

I really wish there were more things in my house that I could throw. Seriously. Sookie's "Word of the Day" calendar, an dhow stupid she looks because of it, will drive me up the wall. Sookie, stop! If you have to use a word of a day calendar to learn some pretty simple words that adults hear all the time, like libido, and then fight to integrate it into your narrative, its time to stop. I'm glad you are trying to educate and better yourself, but I just don't need to know that you had to have a calendar teach you that word. I don't.

Now, to the plot, away!

There was a plot. It was there, I remember it. But there were some serious gaps. Maybe its just that I'm a speed reader, but the beginning was so poorly explained I had no idea why Bill left in the first place! We go from him sitting on a computer, working on a mysterious project of which Sookie isn't allowed to know the details of; to the end of the book where all of a sudden she and Eric know more than we were told they did, for no apparent reason. Bill's project was so underwhelming for the mass chaos it caused it was pathetic. I didn't think it was all the neat of a project, even after it was explained why it was so "important." Yeah I could see how it could be useful, but not worth the many deaths sprinkled throughout the book.

Sookie and Bill still act like children in this book, although admittedly less so than the second. However the relationship is obviously much worse. Here's major spoilers here, but somehow, and I don't understand how, Eric found out that Bill was going to leave Sookie for Lorena, who in the books is not Bill's maker, but instead his former vampire hoochie-mama that vampires aren't supposed to have. She turns on Bill, tortures him, Sookie comes to the rescue, gets locked in the trunk, and Bill rapes her and sucks her practically dry. Two paragraphs later they are snuggling. At least Sookie realized how wrong it was, not that she did a whole lot about it other than to huff off into the car with Eric and go home, which she had to do anyway. So he rapes her, and is still allowed into her house, which she finally reaches after being beat up, chased down, and then cornered in a gas station hold up. She gets home, only to get beat up, again! And Bill comes back, saves her butt, makes up some lame excuse as to why it took him forever to warn her she was being pursued, and brushes her hair! HE RAPED AND DRAINED HER. SOOKIE RESCIND YOUR INVIT--oh there you go. Finally.

Thank goodness Eric is at least entertaining. And Alcide is an actual person, not just a whiny skin bag.

And Bubba. Bubba kills me. I like the idea of a vampire like Bubba. I dislike who he was in a past life, and the use of it in this book. Ridiculous, just like jumping the shark on tv. Stop it now. I hope Bubba goes away and never has the last second answer to a giant plot point again!

The grammar and spelling have improved. The descriptions have not. An excerpt:

"The smaller man's head was covered with that no-color hair, the kind people call 'brown' because they have to call it something."

and the next page:

"The no-color man squeezed his eyes shut..."

People call it brown because it is actually the color brown! I know that there is a grey area for brown and dirty blonde, but seriously?

At least my mother gets some giggles from my outrage. ( )
  Chazlyn | Jun 30, 2019 |
My favorite book of the series so far. It's interesting to slowly see more and more of the supernatural world Charlaine Harris has created. In this book, Bill is missing, and Eric sends Sookie and a werewolf named Alcide to Mississippi to find him. Of course, it's not that easy, and there happen to be a few murders along the way.

On a side note, I really like Bubba. I understand why he wasn't put into the TV series, but he's very entertaining. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Bill betrays Sookie and is kidnapped and Sookie, with the direction of Eric and help of werewolf Alcide Herveaux she goes to Mississippi to find Bill. We learn about vampire King of Mississippi and the Queen of Louisiana. Sookie is attracted to and makes out with both Eric and Alcide, even while being heartsick for Bill and Bill's behavior is despicable as well. Very turned off by the characters.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
This was another great book in the Southern Vampire series. I read it in one day. Unfortunately, I had read books 4 and 5 before this one, so I knew the major plot points before I went in. Even so, it was an interesting and exciting. This is the book where Sookie meets Alcide, and Bill is kidnapped! So it is up to Sookie to find out where Bill is being held. We get more of Eric in this book, and Bubba! Always fun to see Bubba. This is a good addition to the series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
The only way I could get through all the Alcide was to try to picture him as Hugh Jackman. Even then, he was so not interesting or attractive to me. Then again, I'm just not a "man's man" type of girl. I have the feeling that most women who read vampire romances aren't into those kind of guys, either.
I'm fast learning that the parts I enjoy most include Eric. He was awesome in this book, and I loved that scene with him and Sookie in Russell's house. I also loved him flying up and knocking on Sookie's window. Next to Eric, I like all the vampire stuff (I love Pam), and the were stuff bores me immensely.
I do like that Sookie travels around the South. I'd never even heard of Jackson or Shreveport before reading these. Being from Canada, the American South is totally alien to me, and before True Blood it held very little interest, but I'm starting to appreciate the intricacies of Southern culture. Once you look past the rednecks and the bible-thumpers, there's a lot there. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |

Guarnieri AnnaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luengo, LorenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisz BöbeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my middle child, Timothy Schulz, who told me flatly he wanted a book all to himself.
My Thanks to Lisa Weissenbuehler, Kerie I, Nickle, Marie La Dalle, and the incomparable Doris Ann Norris for their input on car trunks, great and small. My further thanks to Janet Davis, Irene, and Sonya Stocklin, also cybercitizens of DorotyL, for their information on bars, bouree ( a card game), and the parish governments of Louisiana. Joan Coffey was most gracious with supplying information about Jackson. the wonderful and obliging Jane Lee drove me patiently around Jackson for many hours, entering thoroughly into the spirit of finding the perfect location for a vampire bar.
Bill was hunched over the computer when I let myself in his house.
From the back:

There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with (at least voluntarily) and that's Bill.

But recently he's been a little distant - in another state distant. His sinister and sexy boss, Eric, has an idea where to find him. Next thing Sookie knows, she is off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead It's a dangerous little haunt where the elitist vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some type O. But when Sookie finally finds Bill - caught in an act of Serious betrayal - she's not sure whether to saved him...or sharpen some stakes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441010512, Mass Market Paperback)

Sookie's boyfriend has been very distant-in another state, distant. Now she's off to Mississippi to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead-a little haunt where the vampire elite go to chill out. But when she finally finds Bill—caught in an act of betrayal—she's not sure whether to save him...or sharpen some stakes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:47 -0400)

Things between cocktail waitress Sookie and her vampire boyfriend Bill seem to be going excellently until he leaves town for a while. A long while. Bill's sinister boss Eric has an idea of where to find him, whisking her off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,065,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible