Becoming by Michelle Obama

Becoming (edition 2018)

by Michelle Obama (Author)

2,0201175,008 (4.51)166
Member:CandG
Title:Becoming
Authors:Michelle Obama (Author)
Info:Crown Publishing Group (2018), Edition: First Edition, 448 pages
Collections:Claire Read
Rating:*****

Becoming by Michelle Obama

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama (TheLittlePhrase)
    A White House diary by Lady Bird Johnson (Elizabeth.Macyshyn)
    Elizabeth.Macyshyn: First Lady autobiographies are fascinating, after enjoying Becoming, try the one that started the trend.

English (113)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (117)
Becoming
by Michelle Obama
2018
Crown
4.5 / 5.0

Michelle Obama's 'Becoming' is one of the best memoirs I've read. Candid and from the heart, her sincere desire to help humanity are done with such grace. A welcome, refreshing and inspiring read. Her respectful manner and her vast experience make this very relatable. She is never afraid to share her thoughts and speak her mind and does so with eloquence.
Growing up on the south side of Chicago is an education all it's own. She remembered her childhood on the Southside, setting up an Office of Business Diversity at the University of Chicago to include more women and black people .
Michelle formed Let's Move! to help fight childhood obesity that can lead to lifelong health problems and complications.
Michelle formed Reaching Higher to encourage youth to go to college and to stick with it, it's not easy.
Michelle formed Let Girls Learn to help to help women continue their educational and career pursuits.
Michelle is an extraordinary woman and example to us all. She always puts people, families, communities, education and health first. Her biggest worry being a First Lady was the affect it would have on her 2 daughters, wanting them to have as little interruption to their life as possible.
Excellent memoir.
Extraordinary woman.
That is what Micheele Obama has Become. ( )
  over.the.edge | Jun 23, 2019 |
Harcover and also Audiobook
  zenscribe | Jun 21, 2019 |
Becoming is an excellent book. One is invited into Michelle Obama's life from childhood to becoming The First Lady. The book was written by a very intelligent woman who married an even more intelligent and great man. This is the kind of book that one must savor every word. It is one of the best biographies that I have read. ( )
  lbswiener | Jun 21, 2019 |
I loved this book. Michelle is an inspiration and her story of hard work, dedication, perseverance and ambition should be shared with all young women of all races in this country. Nothing is just handed to those who are successful. Success requires hard work, a desire to achieve, and focus to get there. Even when things happen to go your way, or lcuk presents itself, you have to act or do something with that opportunity. This is a message that falls on deaf ears too commonly in our nation.

Becoming shares the struggles and challenges along with the beauty and love of a family that deserves nothing less than the American people's utmost respect. ( )
  Kdichard09 | Jun 20, 2019 |
My respect for and admiration of Michelle Obama runs deep, so I was expecting to enjoy this book even though memoirs aren't usually my preferred genre. I was not disappointed, I loved everything about this book.

The narrative is divided into three sections representing three fundamental periods in her life. The first section focuses on Obama's childhood in working class Chicago; she remembers her neighborhood and the strength of their community, and the deep undercurrent of familial love and high expectations that ran through her early years, eventually following her to Princeton and then Harvard Law. The second section of the book covers Michelle's early years with Barack. She honestly and openly shares her personal distaste for politics, her reluctance related to her husband's early campaigns, and her frustration at the ways in which politics negatively impacted her family life. Her love for Barack is palpable on every page, even when she highlights the difficulty of being married to such a driven, mission-filled partner. The final section of the book covers her family's time in the White House. She discusses the stress and heartache alongside what she recognizes to be the insane privilege of their position; she highlights victory and defeat, and describes the process of finding her own voice and her own mission for her time as First Lady.

Obama's writing is clear and evocative. She doesn't sugarcoat the hard times, nor does she seem to embellish the good times. Her honesty about the compelling and incredible journey she has been on thus far in life was engaging and easy to read, and I highly recommend it to everyone, irrespective of political opinion -- her illuminating tale should resonate with any reader. ( )
  smileydq | Jun 20, 2019 |

Michelle Obamaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svensson, ManneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the people who have helped me become:

the folks who raised me---Fraser, Marian, Craig,
and my vast extended family,

my circle of strong women, who always lift me up,

my loyal and dedicated staff, who continue to make me proud.
To the loves of my life:

Malia and Sasha, my two most precious peas,
who are my reason for being,

and finally, Barack, who always promised me an interesting journey.
When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple. (Preface)
I spent much of my childhood listening to the sound of striving.
Barack and I walked out of the White House for the last time on January 20, 2017, accompanying Donald and Melania Trump to the inauguration ceremony. (Epilogue)
Grief and resilience live together.

In a life filled with meaning and accomplishment, Michelle Obama has emerged as one of the most iconic and compelling women of our era. As First Lady of the United States of America, she helped create the most welcoming and inclusive White House in history. With unerring honesty and lively wit, she describes her triumphs and her disappointments, both public and private. A deeply personal reckoning of a woman of soul and substance who has steadily defied expectations.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,708,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible