Becoming by Michelle Obama

Becoming (edition 2018)

by Michelle Obama (Author)

"An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States. When she was a little girl, Michelle Robinson's world was the South Side of Chicago, where she and her brother, Craig, shared a bedroom in their family's upstairs apartment and played catch in the park, and where her parents, Fraser and Marian Robinson, raised her to be outspoken and unafraid. But life soon took her much further afield, from the halls of Princeton, where she learned for the first time what if felt like to be the only black woman in a room, to the glassy office tower where she worked as a high-powered corporate lawyer--and where, one summer morning, a law student named Barack Obama appeared in her office and upended all her carefully made plans. Here, for the first time, Michelle Obama describes the early years of her marriage as she struggles to balance her work and family with her husband's fast-moving political career. She takes us inside their private debate over whether he should make a run for the presidency and her subsequent role as a popular but oft-criticized figure during his campaign. Narrating with grace, good humor, and uncommon candor, she provides a vivid, behind-the-scenes account of her family's history-making launch into the global limelight as well as their life inside the White House over eight momentous years--as she comes to know her country and her country comes to know her. [This book] takes us through modest Iowa kitchens and ballrooms at Buckingham Palace, through moments of heart-stopping grief and profound resilience, bringing us deep into the soul of a singular, groundbreaking figure in history as she strives to live authentically, marshaling her personal strength and voice in service of a set of higher ideals. In telling her story with honesty and boldness, she issues a challenge to the rest of us: Who are we and who do we want to become?"--Jacket.… (more)
Member:Twinkles007
Title:Becoming
Authors:Michelle Obama (Author)
Info:Crown Publishing Group (2018), Edition: 1st Edition

Becoming by Michelle Obama (Author)

Barack and Michelle: Portrait of an American Marriage by Christopher Andersen (Cammie.m)
    Cammie.m: This book gives an insight to the Obama’s life, love, marriage, and parenthood. It also discusses the trials and tribulations of being the President of the a United States of America. This book is a wonderful read!
    A White House diary by Lady Bird Johnson (Elizabeth.Macyshyn)
    Elizabeth.Macyshyn: First Lady autobiographies are fascinating, after enjoying Becoming, try the one that started the trend.
    I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: similar sense of doing what needs doing, of her deeds being, not extraordinary, but a part of ordinary humanness
    Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg (JuliaMaria)
    Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama (TheLittlePhrase)
    A Promised Land by Barack Obama (Cecrow)

English (247)  German (4)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (260)
I really enjoyed her hubby’s book, but this is even better. A life more consistent with the American Dream than many others trotted out, we have a beautifully written memoir from the insider’s point of view. Honest and entertaining. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Jul 20, 2021 |
I can’t say enough about how great a writer and story teller Ms. Obama is. I started listening to this book on Audible and then had to purchase it so I could toggle back and forth from the printed version to the Audible version. Forget your political leanings this is just a flat out great read! ( )
  scoene | Jul 13, 2021 |
Even if you don't know Chicago you still can picture the Robinson family home on South Euclid Avenue, where Michelle grew up with parents and grandparents under one roof. That goes to both her strength as a storyteller and our love of the working-class success story. We've heard it, and often we've lived at least a piece of it, but it's good to hear a modest and authentic telling of it--one where she wins the big law firm job and it's not what she expected. Yeah, Barack's here too, but most profoundly in how Michelle's goals shift under his influence. She's modest about her civic activity; I first saw her in action on a city commission that goes unmentioned. Politics isn't her thing. What makes her run, even as first lady, are the profound everyday struggles of the old neighborhood. In the audiobook, Michelle is not the most dramatic reader, but it's hard to imagine her story in any other voice.
  rynk | Jul 11, 2021 |
Michelle Obama has accomplished much in her life, and sacrificed too. With loving and supportive parents encouraging her, Michelle strove for success from an early age. Getting into a competitive high school, Princeton University, Harvard Law School, and Chicago-based Sidley & Austin was based on hard work and determination. At Sidley & Austin, she mentored Barack Obama as a summer intern, and she found a soul mate. Eventually, she decided that she was miserable in a big law firm, and dedicated herself to helping others in Chicago: first in political roles and then in not-for-profit roles. As Barack's career blossomed, she decided that his work and message were paramount and helped him campaign for increasingly senior political roles, eventually landing them in the White House. And yet, throughout all of this, she worked to find the right school and environment for their two daughters. Michelle maintained her sense of self and dedication to principles, working on youth health (exercise, nutrition) and education issues as FLOTUS. I was very impressed with her choice of photos and sections recognizing all of the White House staff, who helped them during their eight years there. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Wonderful autobiography. Learned a lot and tried not to despair over the 180 degree turn the current administration and his puppy dog party have created. Michelle Obama writes beautifully and from her heart, something many in DC seemed to have excised. Book will make you cry, but also you'll celebrate the small victories during the Obama administration, especially for children and women of the world. Echoes of "Educated" and "The Moment of Lift". All three fantastic books! ( )
  SusanWallace | Jul 10, 2021 |
The summary of Obama’s White House initiatives relies on promotional language and well-worn anecdotes, and the book’s final pages are just a shade away from an overt advertisement for the Obama Foundation. The memoir’s “bombshell” revelations, which the media has projected as revelations of the female condition writ large—a discussion of Obama’s use of fertility treatment to conceive her daughters, and of a period of her marriage in which “frustrations began to rear up often and intensely”—belie how much the rest of the text withholds.

I suspect that some of Becoming’s power lies in the ways it employs the techniques of a novel more than those of a typical political memoir—in its honesty about human nature and ambivalence, yes, but also in its colorful and idiosyncratic details ... in its willingness to let anecdotes speak for themselves rather than pedantically spelling out their lessons.

Becoming is frequently funny, sometimes indignant or enraged, and when Michelle describes her father’s early death from multiple sclerosis it turns rawly emotional.
added by g33kgrrl | editThe Guardian, Peter Conrad (Nov 18, 2018)

But despite how close we get to her voice here, it’s never quite close enough. She lets us into all kinds of memories, including tender recollections, romantic dates, and triumphant moments on the campaign trail. But for all her candidness, there is still a veil of privacy around the inner workings of this reluctant public figure. She draws the reader in, but pauses at arm’s length. Maybe this is all we can expect, in text, from this woman with so much presence. As she says herself, she’s more of a hugger.
added by g33kgrrl | editVanity Fair, Sonia Saraiya (Nov 15, 2018)

Even if Becoming is not always interesting, it is much more interesting than it needed to be to qualify as a successful first lady memoir. And as an example of how to walk the tightrope — how to seem charming but not like an intellectual lightweight; how to get things done without seeming threatening; how to do all of the impossible things we demand of women in general, of first ladies in particular, and of the first black first lady as an absolute — Becoming is a straight-up master class.
added by g33kgrrl | editVox, Constance Grady (Nov 13, 2018)

Obama, MichelleAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Obama, MichelleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svensson, ManneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the people who have helped me become:

the folks who raised me---Fraser, Marian, Craig,
and my vast extended family,

my circle of strong women, who always lift me up,

my loyal and dedicated staff, who continue to make me proud.
To the loves of my life:

Malia and Sasha, my two most precious peas,
who are my reason for being,

and finally, Barack, who always promised me an interesting journey.
When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple. (Preface)
Grief and resilience live together.
I spent much of my childhood listening to the sound of striving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,288,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible