Becoming by Michelle Obama

Becoming (edition 2018)

by Michelle Obama (Author)

"An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States. When she was a little girl, Michelle Robinson's world was the South Side of Chicago, where she and her brother, Craig, shared a bedroom in their family's upstairs apartment and played catch in the park, and where her parents, Fraser and Marian Robinson, raised her to be outspoken and unafraid. But life soon took her much further afield, from the halls of Princeton, where she learned for the first time what if felt like to be the only black woman in a room, to the glassy office tower where she worked as a high-powered corporate lawyer--and where, one summer morning, a law student named Barack Obama appeared in her office and upended all her carefully made plans. Here, for the first time, Michelle Obama describes the early years of her marriage as she struggles to balance her work and family with her husband's fast-moving political career. She takes us inside their private debate over whether he should make a run for the presidency and her subsequent role as a popular but oft-criticized figure during his campaign. Narrating with grace, good humor, and uncommon candor, she provides a vivid, behind-the-scenes account of her family's history-making launch into the global limelight as well as their life inside the White House over eight momentous years--as she comes to know her country and her country comes to know her. [This book] takes us through modest Iowa kitchens and ballrooms at Buckingham Palace, through moments of heart-stopping grief and profound resilience, bringing us deep into the soul of a singular, groundbreaking figure in history as she strives to live authentically, marshaling her personal strength and voice in service of a set of higher ideals. In telling her story with honesty and boldness, she issues a challenge to the rest of us: Who are we and who do we want to become?"--Jacket.… (more)
Member:Val221
Title:Becoming
Authors:Michelle Obama (Author)
Info:Crown (2018), Edition: 1st Edition, 448 pages

Becoming by Michelle Obama (Author)

Recently added bymdibaiee, Gretchen_Dursch, Bombadil77, open-parens, H-k, sharrya, srhuff, private library, PinaB
    Barack and Michelle: Portrait of an American Marriage by Christopher Andersen (Cammie.m)
    Cammie.m: This book gives an insight to the Obama’s life, love, marriage, and parenthood. It also discusses the trials and tribulations of being the President of the a United States of America. This book is a wonderful read!
    A White House diary by Lady Bird Johnson (Elizabeth.Macyshyn)
    Elizabeth.Macyshyn: First Lady autobiographies are fascinating, after enjoying Becoming, try the one that started the trend.
    I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: similar sense of doing what needs doing, of her deeds being, not extraordinary, but a part of ordinary humanness
    Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg (JuliaMaria)
    Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama (TheLittlePhrase)

English (257)  German (4)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (271)
Loved reading about Barry O & Mich’s love story ( )
  jgallo123 | Sep 14, 2021 |
  BLTSbraille | Sep 4, 2021 |
Absolutely loved this book from start to finish. As the title suggests, this is a candid, up-close look at Michelle and the Obama family. It very much shows the history and attributes of this remarkable woman (and her husband and daughters) who has had such a tremendous impact on American society. So much in this book serves as a model for all of us to follow—from perspectives on life and politics to the importance of family and community. Michelle is an authentic original and this book made me appreciate and admire her even more. ( )
1 vote bentleymitchell | Aug 27, 2021 |
Spring 2020 (Audiobook);

I don't even know where to start with this book. I knew within two chapters this book would be a 4 or 5 star. The way Michelle writes, the passion and heart and honesty that she infuses into her words is poetic, genuine, heart-touching. The humility and humor she puts into every mistake, every stumble is bolstering to everyone still finding their way.

I loved learning so much more about her, about her time before, during, and after her husband's presidency. This was so much more moving than I feel I can even put into words, and it brought home, incredibly hard, how important the primaries were and our next choice of our next president. I should have read it so much sooner and I recommend it to everyone. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
I listened to this audiobook in very small doses for many months now because I just didn’t want it to be over.

What more can I say about this brilliant role model of a woman that is Michelle Obama that hasn’t already been said. Her story is inspirational, her narration is excellent and this memoir is a must read. Go read it or listen to it if you haven’t already because you are missing out. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
The summary of Obama’s White House initiatives relies on promotional language and well-worn anecdotes, and the book’s final pages are just a shade away from an overt advertisement for the Obama Foundation. The memoir’s “bombshell” revelations, which the media has projected as revelations of the female condition writ large—a discussion of Obama’s use of fertility treatment to conceive her daughters, and of a period of her marriage in which “frustrations began to rear up often and intensely”—belie how much the rest of the text withholds.

I suspect that some of Becoming’s power lies in the ways it employs the techniques of a novel more than those of a typical political memoir—in its honesty about human nature and ambivalence, yes, but also in its colorful and idiosyncratic details ... in its willingness to let anecdotes speak for themselves rather than pedantically spelling out their lessons.

Becoming is frequently funny, sometimes indignant or enraged, and when Michelle describes her father’s early death from multiple sclerosis it turns rawly emotional.
added by g33kgrrl | editThe Guardian, Peter Conrad (Nov 18, 2018)

But despite how close we get to her voice here, it’s never quite close enough. She lets us into all kinds of memories, including tender recollections, romantic dates, and triumphant moments on the campaign trail. But for all her candidness, there is still a veil of privacy around the inner workings of this reluctant public figure. She draws the reader in, but pauses at arm’s length. Maybe this is all we can expect, in text, from this woman with so much presence. As she says herself, she’s more of a hugger.
added by g33kgrrl | editVanity Fair, Sonia Saraiya (Nov 15, 2018)

Even if Becoming is not always interesting, it is much more interesting than it needed to be to qualify as a successful first lady memoir. And as an example of how to walk the tightrope — how to seem charming but not like an intellectual lightweight; how to get things done without seeming threatening; how to do all of the impossible things we demand of women in general, of first ladies in particular, and of the first black first lady as an absolute — Becoming is a straight-up master class.
added by g33kgrrl | editVox, Constance Grady (Nov 13, 2018)

Obama, MichelleAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Obama, MichelleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svensson, ManneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Willemijn deNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the people who have helped me become:

the folks who raised me---Fraser, Marian, Craig,
and my vast extended family,

my circle of strong women, who always lift me up,

my loyal and dedicated staff, who continue to make me proud.
To the loves of my life:

Malia and Sasha, my two most precious peas,
who are my reason for being,

and finally, Barack, who always promised me an interesting journey.
When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple. (Preface)
Grief and resilience live together.
I spent much of my childhood listening to the sound of striving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,398,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible