Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark

Black God's Drums (edition 2018)

by P. Djèlí Clark (Author)

In an alternate New Orleans caught in the tangle of the American Civil War, the wall-scaling girl named Creeper yearns to escape the streets for the air - in particular, by earning a spot on-board the airship Midnight Robber. Creeper plans to earn Captain Ann-Marie's trust with information she discovers about a Haitian scientist and a mysterious weapon he calls The Black God's Drums.But Creeper also has a secret herself: Oya, the African orisha of the wind and storms, speaks inside her head, and may have her own ulterior motivations.Soon, Creeper, Oya, and the crew of the Midnight Robber are pulled into a perilous mission aimed to stop the Black God's Drums from being unleashed and wiping out the entirety of New Orleans.… (more)
Member:rayrile
Title:Black God's Drums
Authors:P. Djèlí Clark (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2018), 112 pages
Collections:Switzerland, Your library

The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark

Recently added byNoeshia, richardderus, MenloPark, private library, Nebulous40, Arina40
    Ganymede by Cherie Priest (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: AU Civil War + New Orleans intrigue.

I received this novella from Tor.com for a review.

I can't say this was a successful read for me, since [book:A Dead Djinn in Cairo|29635542] was so very, very satisfying; I'm not really excited by New Orleans, for one thing, and found this tale's supernatural elements closer to possession than I'm excited to read.

The fact is I'm just not sure why I can't get jazzed (!) for this one. But not every pitch connects! ( )
  richardderus | Oct 20, 2020 |
4/5 ( )
  wayfaring_stranger | Oct 12, 2020 |
This novella is richly imagined, an alternate-historical fantasy in which New Orleans is an independent state. It’s filled with adventure and some strong personalities -- I particularly enjoyed the thirteen year old protagonist’s attempts to convince an airship captain to take her on as crew.

I was unwell when I read some of this, which might be why I don’t feel more strongly about it. (Alternatively, it wasn’t written for me and that’s okay. I’m not sure which it is, and that’s okay too.)

The audiobook narrator, Channie Waites, is excellent. ( )
  Herenya | Oct 4, 2020 |
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed the world building in this story but the plot requires some deux ex machina and some last minute character building to fulfill it's mission. Overall a funny, fairly quick novella set in a world I'd like to see more of. ( )
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
I broke out in literal actual chills reading the climax of The Black God's Drums by P. Djeli Clark! This novella is perfection, the story pulls you along at a break neck seed yet somehow introducing fully fleshed out characters and leaves you feeling completely satisfied yet wanting more when you reach the end. I would happily read so much more in this world! ( )
  tattooedreader13 | Aug 27, 2020 |

P. Djèlí Clarkprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I have avenged America."

Jean Javques (Janjak) Dessalines
To those who survived the crossing, and who carried their Black gods with them.
The night in New Orleans always got something going on, ma maman used to say - like this city don't know how to sleep.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,567,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible