Super Sons Vol. 2: Planet of the Capes…

Super Sons Vol. 2: Planet of the Capes (Rebirth) (edition 2018)

by Peter J. Tomasi (Author)

"What starts as a simple training mission becomes a dimension-spanning adventure for the sons of Superman and Batman, and Superboy teams up with the Teen Titans for the first time in the stunning second volume of Super Sons! Superboy (Jonathan Kent) is excited to have a night out on patrol with Robin (Damian Wayne), at least until he learns that Robin thinks his job is to teach Superboy how to fight crime. But an emergency call from the Teen Titans leads to an encounter with a group of forgotten villains...one of whom bends time itself to make Robin too old to lead a team called the Teen Titans! And the battle's aftermath leads Robin and Superboy to another dimension, where they must help the last survivors of a decimated world defeat a planet-sized menace! All this, plus the long-awaited unveiling of the Super Sons' secret headquarters, unfolds in the newest collection showcasing DC's next-generation super-team!"--… (more)
Member:becca.helme
Title:Super Sons Vol. 2: Planet of the Capes (Rebirth)
Authors:Peter J. Tomasi (Author)
Info:DC Comics (2018), 128 pages

Work Information

Super Sons (Rebirth) Vol. 2: Planet of the Capes by Peter J. Tomasi

I'd rate this higher based on the great interaction between the titular characters and Jon's great heart, but the stories didn't grab me. The character bits--especially Jon showing Damien how to "fly"--were perfect, but I could hardly summon any interest in Kraklow & co (the villains). ( )
  SESchend | Nov 2, 2021 |
I'm torn because although I thoroughly enjoyed the story with Robin and Superboy (SO CUTE) I get really, really, really annoyed with the outright sexualisation of the women and even some of the men (boys). This shit is going on since the fifties! You would think people would get better and know WHY it gets annoying. I mean half naked women always are taken serious, right? *sigh*

But once I got my blinds on I enjoyed the story very much. The humor is spot-on and very witty. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Super Sons Vol. 2: Planet of the Capes (Rebirth) by Peter J. Tomasi (illustrated by Jorge Jimenez, Carmine Di Giandomenico, and Jose Luis) continues the story of Damian, the new Robin and son of Bruce Wayne and Talia al’Ghul and Jon, the new Superboy and son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. This graphic novel collects issues #6-10.

A training mission for Damian Wayne (Robin) and Jon Kent (Superboy), turns out to be an adventure in another dimension. This time the two team up with the Teen Titans.

I strangely found myself enjoying Super Sons vol 1: When I Grow Up and was looking forward to read Super Sons Vol. 2: Planet of the Capes (Rebirth) by Peter J. Tomasi (illustrated by Jorge Jimenez, Carmine Di Giandomenico, and Jose Luis). I was hoping to find the story of two mischievous boys, getting in trouble while coming of age – something similar to season 1 of Smallville.

The story in this graphic novel takes on too much, some stories are simply loosely tied together and are overly complex for what it is. I enjoyed the relationship between Jon and Damian but I think a less bombastic mission/adventure would have played better.

Even though this issue is more aimed at kids / young teens than the more adult oriented books, it’s still a lot of fun. I enjoy the new Robin’s dark sarcasm and attitude. For me, the last issue of the two young almost-heroes training together really saved the whole graphic novel. I wish more stories like that, somewhat of a smaller scale than a grand adventure, would make it into the series.

The two stories in this issue seemed to be slapped together rather quickly. The interaction between Superboy and Robin, as in the first graphic novel, is really the star here and makes it all worthwhile.

The book also focuses on the parenting styles of Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. While the Kents have their rules, they understand that Jon can’t be protected from what he is to become, and needs guidance. Bruce Wayne is less hands on, but still expects strict discipline from his snarky, controlling, brooding, and independent son.

Overall this is a fun title which, most likely, will not have many reverberating affects throughout the DC Universe. Awesome, eye popping art and best of all, who could ask for a better snarky teenage hideout than the Fortress of Attitude. ( )
  ZoharLaor | Jun 3, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,029,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible