Feast: True Love in and out of the Kitchen…

Feast: True Love in and out of the Kitchen

by Hannah Howard

Bed/Time/Story by Jill Schary Robinson (lulaa)
    lulaa: My goodness -- these books are so similar, and complementary, both honest and gripping: while written so many decades apart they're both eloquent on the subject of addiction in the same ways, and both miraculously end in hope.

It's a great and informative read of a woman's journey into food addiction and recovery. Without giving anything away, certain aspects of it helped me to help someone else. I'm a volunteer listener at an online counseling site. There were parts of this book that allowed me to understand what someone was going through ( )
  LadyRakat | Apr 2, 2019 |
Read 14% on Kindle.
  bogopea | Jan 22, 2019 |
Interesting book about eating disorders. Not sure how accurate. Eating disorders complicated issue. ( )
  shazjhb | Dec 5, 2018 |
Wow! What an honest and remarkable story. The writing captured me and I felt like I was truly on this journey with her. I have nothing but respect for Hannah, she is an exceptional writer and her honesty is inspiring. ( )
  sunnydrk | Aug 21, 2018 |
From her teens, Hannah Howard had always been obsessed with food, especially fine food.

After an overly critical childhood, where her mother cared far more about Hannah's weight than Hannah did, she clawed her way into Columbia University and then searched for her place in the food industry. She started out at a gelato cart and then worked in a variety of venues: haute cuisine restaurants, gourmet food stores, and even a chain steak house restaurant.

She speaks frankly about the sexism and even rape within the industry where most chefs and managers are male.

During the time she relates, she bounced from anorexia to obesity while also being addicted to older, often married boyfriends always tied to the food industry.

I expected this to be light and fluffy and in many ways it was. But there was actually a bit of meat there, too (excuse all the food puns, please!) and it ended with quite a bit of hope as she seems to have found her path to recovery.

It was a well written, entertaining read. She writes in an engaging style that drew me quickly onward. I found it a pleasant book, but already in writing this review, many of the details have escaped me. She is currently working as a food writer, a topic I'm interested in, so I'll be interested to see her next offering. ( )
  streamsong | May 3, 2018 |

The compulsively readable memoir of a woman at war-with herself, with her body, and with food-while working her way through the underbelly of New York City's glamorous culinary scene. Hannah Howard is a Columbia University freshman when she lands a hostess job at Picholine, a Michelin-starred restaurant in Manhattan. Eighteen years old and eager to learn, she's invigorated by the manic energy and knife-sharp focus of the crew. By day Hannah explores the Columbia arts scene, struggling to find her place. By night she's intoxicated by boxes of heady truffles and intrigued by the food industry's insiders. She's hungry for knowledge, success, and love, but she's also ravenous because she hasn't eaten more than yogurt and coffee in days. Hannah is hiding an eating disorder. The excruciatingly late nights, demanding chefs, bad boyfriends, and destructive obsessions have left a void inside her that she can't fill. To reconcile her relationships with the food she worships and a body she struggles to accept, Hannah's going to have to learn to nourish her soul.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,178,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible