Strange Fruit, Volume II: More Uncelebrated Narratives from Black History

by Joel Christian Gill

Series: Strange Fruit (Vol. 2)

Learn about more uncelebrated narratives of African American heroes or events in Black history.

I liked it even better than the first volume. Fantastic. ( )
  widdersyns | Jul 19, 2020 |
Strange Fruit, Volume II from Joel Christian Gill builds on the foundation of the first volume to become even better and more inclusive.

There are so many lesser known people of color who are regularly overlooked in history, especially US history. Even after quite some time of rediscovering these people it can be a task to find information about them. This book, and the one before it, helps to both fill that need and make the information more accessible to younger readers. And it is with them that the success or failure of society rests.

As with volume I, the artwork is very good and the way each person's story is told is a treat. It is not simply a brief recounting of birth date, an accomplishment or two, and their death. It is a scene from their life, or a series of small vignettes from their life to illustrate the arc, and ongoing obstacles, of their life's work and success. And equally important, the message all of their lives have for us today.

Highly recommended for any reader who wants to learn more history and especially those with children. Teaching our young about the contributions and struggles of everyone are lessons that will pay huge dividends down the road.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Aug 9, 2019 |
I very much enjoyed this comic. I knew the letter of Jourdon Anderson and about Victor Green, but the rest of the people showcased were new to me. I appreciated the artwork and the straightforward storytelling - not skipping the negative truths in history but focusing on uplifting parts of the stories as much as the upsetting. I think this will be a good book to share with my daughter someday.

I received this book on Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  g33kgrrl | May 25, 2019 |
Strange Fruit, Volume II
More Uncelebrated Narratives from Black History
by Joel Christian Gill is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary.
Wow, I am glad there were people in this book I haven't read about before! Each had unique stories from about slavery to civil war or after. This is a graphics novel for teens but I am well past that and enjoyed it too!
My favorite person was Mary Fields! She was a stage coach driving, tough gal that was not going to put up with no messing! Lol!
All the people in here should be known, not an unknown hero in history! They deserve it even if they aren't around to see it.
Great historic graphic novel! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Apr 25, 2019 |
An excellent, inspiring continuation of Volume 1, and this time women were included! Both volumes would make first-rate additions to any high school history curriculum -- there are many opportunities for meaningful discussion. I regret only that the graphic formats are such quick reads, making it difficult to pace oneself in order to savor the experience. ( )
  ryner | Jul 28, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Strange Fruit (Vol. 2)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,911,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible