Nothing Good Can Come from This: Essays by…

Nothing Good Can Come from This: Essays

by Kristi Coulter

Kristi Coulter inspired and incensed the internet when she wrote about what happened when she stopped drinking. Nothing Good Can Come from This is her debut--a frank, funny, and feminist essay collection by a keen-eyed observer no longer numbed into complacency. When Kristi stopped drinking, she started noticing things. Like when you give up a debilitating habit, it leaves a space, one that can't easily be filled by mocktails or ice cream or sex or crafting. And when you cancel Rosé Season for yourself, you're left with just Summer, and that's when you notice that the women around you are tanked--that alcohol is the oil in the motors that keeps them purring when they could be making other kinds of noise. In her sharp, incisive debut essay collection, Coulter reveals a portrait of a life in transition. By turns hilarious and heartrending, Nothing Good Can Come from This introduces a fierce new voice to fans of Sloane Crosley, David Sedaris, and Cheryl Strayed--perfect for anyone who has ever stood in the middle of a so-called perfect life and looked for an escape hatch.… (more)

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Funny, sad and relevant. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Sep 16, 2019 |
Love her voice, if not her conclusions. ( )
  libraryhead | Apr 6, 2019 |
"This is why I drank, you know. Because I wanted every day to be like that. I wanted every day to feel like a movie montage, or at least to end in an epiphany, or at least to have a clear narrative arc, or at least to make some level of sense."

A memoir told in essay form, Nothing Good Can Come from This, is the non-chronological tale of Coulter’s life from alcoholic to sober woman. As with most books of essays some were stronger than others, but on a whole Coulter does a great job of making you feel her emotion and understand her journey. Feminism, love, politics, and culture all make an appearance and create for some hard-hitting, and sometimes humorous, stories and anecdotes.

"What's a girl to do when a bunch of dudes have just told her, in front of an audience, that she's wrong about what it's like to be herself?

I can see some people finding this a bit "woe is me" as she is an upper class white female with a good job, loving husband, and a childhood only partially marred by her parents. I, however, think it goes to show that alcoholism can consume anyone, not just those with downtrodden lives or no money in the bank.

"Take away my money or my extreme whiteness, and it might be clear that getting a lot of ethanol into my bloodstream as fast as possible is all I really care about." ( )
  Kristymk18 | Jul 17, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,623,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible