Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air (2)) by…

The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air (2)) (edition 2019)

by Holly Black (Author)

As seneschal to High King Cardan, Jude must fight to keep control of the Faerie throne while her younger brother, Oak, enjoys the childhood she never knew.
Member:therealdelia
Title:The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air (2))
Authors:Holly Black (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2019), 336 pages

The Wicked King by Holly Black

Recently added byprivate library, avanders, SeanMarlow, coffeefairy, sprainedbrain, kathycook25, zombiibean

English (50)  Spanish (1)  All languages (51)
Raise your hand if you’ve ever been personally victimized by Holly Black? What an awesome sequel - I can honestly say I liked it better than the first book, and I loved the first book. But that ending? How am I supposed to wait for the third book to come out in 2020 when I couldn’t even wait for the second one’s actual release date? Here’s hoping the ARC gods shine down on me once again. ( )
  zombiibean | Nov 20, 2020 |
Wooo! More Jude kicking ass and taking names. I was so pleased to see the relationships progress throughout this book and the depth of character development that I didn’t quite expect. Again we get to see characters sink to their absolute lowest and then fight their way back to the top. ( )
  m.reoch | Nov 16, 2020 |
Took me half the book to really get into this one - I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it but once things started moving it was great - and the ending though, I just wanted to read the other one ASAP I can't believe it - I'm a little disappointed by the first half of the book though, way slower than the other book for me and a struggle... I still can't wait for book 3 damnnit ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
Kind of a grudging 4-stars, as it wasn't quite as compelling as its predecessor, likely because plotwise it's a bit of an Empire Strikes Back and can't stand on its own (not that that stopped Empire from being anything but awesome!)

Presumably if you liked the first one, you will also like this, and vice versa, it's very much a continuation and not a contradiction or tangent.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
3.5 ( )
  Jonez | Oct 8, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For Kelly Link, one of the merfolk
Jude lifted the heavy practice sword, moving into the first stance - readiness.

After the jaw-dropping revelation that Oak is the heir to Faerie, Jude must keep her younger brother safe. To do so, she has bound the wicked king, Cardan, to her, and made herself the power behind the throne. Navigating the constantly shifting political alliances of Faerie would be difficult enough if Cardan were easy to control. But he does everything in his power to humiliate and undermine her even as his fascination with her remains undiminished.

When it becomes all too clear that someone close to Jude means to betray her, threatening her own life and the lives of everyone she loves, Jude must uncover the traitor and fight her own complicated feelings for Cardan to maintain control as a mortal in a Faerie world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,478,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible