A Spark of Light: A Novel by Jodi Picoult

A Spark of Light: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Jodi Picoult (Author)

1,1958112,610 (3.65)42
"The #1 New York Times bestselling author of Small Great Things returns with a powerful and provocative new novel about ordinary lives that intersect during a heart-stopping crisis. The warm fall day starts like any other at the Center a women's reproductive health services clinic its staff offering care to anyone who passes through its doors. Then, in late morning, a desperate and distraught gunman bursts in and opens fire, taking all inside hostage. After rushing to the scene, Hugh McElroy, a police hostage negotiator, sets up a perimeter and begins making a plan to communicate with the gunman. As his phone vibrates with incoming text messages he glances at it and, to his horror, finds out that his fifteen-year-old daughter, Wren, is inside the clinic. But Wren is not alone. She will share the next and tensest few hours of her young life with a cast of unforgettable characters: A nurse who calms her own panic in order save the life of a wounded woman. A doctor who does his work not in spite of his faith but because of it, and who will find that faith tested as never before. Apro-life protester disguised as a patient, who now stands in the cross hairs of the same rage she herself has felt. A young woman who has come to terminate her pregnancy. And the disturbed individual himself, vowing to be heard. Told in a daring and enthralling narrative structure that counts backward through the hours of the standoff, this is a story that traces its way back to what brought each of these very different individuals to the same place on this fateful day. Jodi Picoult one of the most fearless writers of our time tackles a complicated issue in this gripping and nuanced novel. How do we balance the rights of pregnant women with the rights of the unborn they carry? What does it mean to be a good parent? A Spark of Light will inspire debate, conversation. and, hopefully, understanding"--… (more)
Member:janinesherman
Title:A Spark of Light: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2018), 381 pages

Work Information

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult

Not a fan of this book. I disliked that she wrote it in reverse order. It was like we are punched in the face with this controversy and at that point, we make the decision to continue reading it. And they if we do continue reading it, it is in REVERSE order (we start at the end of the day and wind up at the beginning. ) ( )
  RockinLibrarian23 | Oct 22, 2021 |
This starts off with a hostage situation in a women’s reproductive health services clinic. The daughter of one of the police is in there. Along with many others.

It was good, but hard to follow – maybe more-so because I listened to the audio. Lots of characters, and all over the place in time/chronology with all the different characters made it really hard to follow. I don’t even know if the hostage situation was finished or how it finished! If it was finished off somehow, I missed it. I suppose the book wasn’t really about the hostage situation, and there wasn’t really tension with the hostage storyline at all.

There were a couple of interesting twists that I hadn’t expected. Speaking of that, there was another storyline for one of the characters that I’m not quite sure how it ended, either. Actually there was more than one, now that I think of it. I could have done without the abortion descriptions. Good parts: I learned a few things, an interesting author’s note at the end. I was going to rate it “good” at 3.5, but the end (or too many ends that weren’t tied up – or if they were, I missed them all) brought my rating down a bit. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 28, 2021 |
The book starts with the ending and goes backward to the beginning. This is not a format I really like so I spent most of the book really really annoyed. I found it slow, slightly predictable and not up to par with Picoult's other works.

*I received this book in exchange for a review. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for continuing to fulfill my book habit. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Review to come.. ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
Tackling the issue of abortion, Jodi Picoult takes us through a day in the life of ten different characters when a gunman opens fire in a women’s clinic, taking lives and hostages. Moving backwards hour by hour, the story unfolds as each person reveals what brought them to the clinic that day and how their lives intertwine with each other’s: a doctor, a nurse, a woman who recently had an abortion, an undercover pro-life protester, the gunman himself, the teenage daughter of the police negotiator called to the scene.

I have read quite a few of Picoult’s books now, and I think this one has been the most enjoyable. She often misses the mark when it comes to representing Christian characters and perspectives, but in this case I think she presented the issue pretty fairly for both sides. The structure of the narrative, moving backwards in time through a single day, was very engaging and allowed the backgrounds and decisions of each character to be revealed in a way that was interesting yet not confusing. And it had not one, but two twists at the end: one that I predicted from the beginning, and one that I did not expect but that felt very fitting! ( )
  vvbooklady | Apr 28, 2021 |
The question is not whether we will be extremists,
but what kind of extremists we will be. Will we be extremists for hate or for love?
--REVEREND DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
For Jennifer Hershey and Susan Corcoran
If you are lucky, you wind up with colleagues you love.
If you are luckier, they feel like sisters.
                           XOX
The Center squatted on the corner of Juniper and Montfort behind a wrought-iron gate, like an old bulldog used to guarding its territory.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,462,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible