Stranger by Albert Camus

Stranger (original 1942; edition 2005)

by Albert Camus

26,91835068 (3.96)1 / 591
Member:ramisaddler
Title:Stranger
Authors:Albert Camus
Info:Recorded Books (2005), Audio CD

The Stranger by Albert Camus (Author) (1942)

The Trial by Franz Kafka (chrisharpe, DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: Two protagonists on trial without really understanding what they're being accused of - it's just a question of degree.
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (chrisharpe, DLSmithies, edelpao)
    DLSmithies: A compare-and-contrast exercise - Raskolnikov is all nervous energy and hypertension, whereas Meursault is detatched, calm, and won't pretend to feel remorse. Two masterpieces.
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (hiddenpunk)
    Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (roby72)
    The Meursault Investigation by Kamel Daoud (Philosofiction, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Meursault ist der Protagonist in dem existentialistischen Roman "Der Fremde", auf den sich Daoud in seiner Gegendarstellung bezieht.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (SanctiSpiritus)
    No Exit and Three Other Plays by Jean-Paul Sartre (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: I read both works in French class. Though Albert Camus denied being an existentialist, both L'Étranger (The Stranger) and Huis Clos (No Exit) have some common themes and are among some of the most important 20th century French works of literature.
    The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By by Georges Simenon (thorold)
    thorold: Respectable bourgeois discovers absurdity of life and commits motiveless crime.
    Whatever by Michel Houellebecq (sanddancer)
    Barabbas by Pär Lagerkvist (Troddel)
    The Fall by Albert Camus (chrisharpe)
    She Came to Stay by Simone de Beauvoir (JuliaMaria)
    The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo José Cela (thatguyzero)
    The Pigeon by Patrick Süskind (P_S_Patrick)
    P_S_Patrick: Short, deeply existentialist novels of literary character.
    The Adversary by Emmanuel Carrère (bertilak)
    At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails with Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Albert Camus, Martin Heidegger, Maurice Merleau-Ponty and Others by Sarah Bakewell (JuliaMaria)
    Cosmos by Witold Gombrowicz (Bitter_Grace)
    The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick by Peter Handke (lewbs)
    Just Revenge by Alan M. Dershowitz (LCBrooks)
    LCBrooks: Complementary works that create a powerful foundation for a philosophical debate on revenge.
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (SanctiSpiritus)

1940s (3)
Wanted (1)
Find (4)

English (301)  French (10)  Spanish (8)  Italian (7)  Dutch (5)  Portuguese (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Hebrew (1)  Basque (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (1)  All languages (344)
“E anche io mi sentivo pronto a rivivere tutto. Quasi che quella grande rabbia mi avesse purgato dal male, svuotato della speranza, di fronte a quella notte carica di segni e di stelle mi aprivo per la prima volta alla tenera indifferenza del mondo. Nel riconoscerlo così simile a me, finalmente così fraterno, ho sentito di essere stato felice, di esserlo ancora.” ( )
  alecande95 | Jan 20, 2019 |
I had similar feelings about this novel as I did to the previous Camus novel I read back in 2012, The Plague. Like that one, the events surrounding the life of the narrator have an otherworldly feel, seeming to take place in a time bubble, we only know it is set in the author's native French Algeria through the references to unnamed Arab characters and swelteringly hot weather. The first half of the novel was very banal, dealing with the death of the narrator's mother and his interactions with his neighbours, including the unpleasant Raymond, and with his lover Marie. Then a dramatic incident half way through leads to a change of pace, and the narrator is tried for murder. His own character and temperament do not help him in this situation, and his circumstances deteriorate. While the second half was a more dramatic read, it is still told in an impersonal and distant style, not typical of a first person account.

When I did my French A level back in the mid-80s, this was one of set texts some of us studied - though in my class we did Sartre's Les Mains Sales, which was more interesting than this, and for which I am retrospectively grateful to my teachers of 1984. ( )
  john257hopper | Jan 14, 2019 |
A philosophical novel about a French man who is waiting to be executed for the murder of an Arab man, set into pre-world war two Algiers. It philosophically focuses on remorse (or lack of it), human indifference towards each other, religion, possibly even racism etc.

One of those books that gets you thinking.

Read this in Slovene under the title Tujec. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
If I have to name one book which changed my way of viewing the world it would be this book. It was published as "The Insider" when I read it first and the theories this book brings out via fiction have haunted my sense of reality ever since. The book shakes your soul and in that really pushes you to question your existence. This book propelled me to read a lot about the theories of absurdism and existentialism. I then read Camus' essay "Myth of Sisyphus" and it was in the same league. A rare book which is not horror, but yet it's not for the faint-hearted. ( )
  Varun.Sayal | Nov 15, 2018 |
Unlike his three well-known novels – ‘The Stranger’, ‘The Plague’ and ‘The Fall’, all written with a 1st person narrator, Albert Camus’s ‘The Guest’ has an objective 3rd person narrator telling the tale. Easily located as an on-line PDF, ‘The Guest’ can be read in less than an hour, a story written in 29 short paragraphs, each paragraph sectioned off with its own paragraph number, giving the impression Camus wanted to clearly delineate his existential musings at each point in the story.

The story begins when the main character, a schoolmaster by the name of Daru, watches from his empty schoolhouse built on a steep hillside in the Algerian desert as two men approach, one an old gendarme (French police officer) on horseback and the other an Arab walking with his hands bound by a rope. Once they are all seated in the schoolroom, Daru asks where the two of them are headed. The old gendarme, Balducci by name, a man Daru has known for a long time, tells Daru how it is with him and the Arab. Here are Camus’s words:

"No. I'm going back to El Ameur. And you will deliver this fellow to Tinguit. He is expected at police headquarters."
Balducci was looking at Daru with a friendly little smile.
"What's this story?" asked the schoolmaster. "Are you pulling my leg?"
"No, son. Those are the orders."
"The orders? I'm not . . ." Daru hesitated, not wanting to hurt the old Corsican. "I mean, that's not my job."
"What! What's the meaning of that? In wartime people do all kinds of jobs."
"Then I'll wait for the declaration of war!"
Balducci nodded. "O. K. But the orders exist and they concern you too. Things are brewing, it appears. There is talk of a forthcoming revolt. . . . “

As the story unfolds, we are given an opportunity to see how these three men respond to the challenge of making choices. For existential writers such as Albert Camus and Jean-Paul Sartre, accepting the responsibility of freedom and making our own decisions and choices, thereby defining who we really are as individuals, is of prime importance. Sidebar: this 3 character tale shares some common ground with Jean-Paul Sartre’s 3 person play, ‘No Exit’. At Sartre’s request, Albert Camus was the first director and the first actor to play Joseph Garcin in ‘No Exit’. Quite possibly, Camus’s experience with ‘No Ext’ influenced his writing of this short-story.

And Camus writes with the same sparse, clean prose we find in ‘The Stranger’. For example, here is a quote when Daru and the Arab are out in the desert: “Daru breathed in deeply the fresh morning light. He felt a sort of rapture before the vast familiar expanse, now almost entirely yellow under its dome of blue sky. They walked an hour more, descending toward the south. They reached a level height made up of crumbly rocks. From there on, the plateau sloped down, eastward, toward a low plain where there were a few spindly trees and, to the south, toward outcroppings of rock that gave the landscape a chaotic look.”

I read this short-story and listened to the audiobook multiple times. What really strikes me is the precision of language. Nothing is wasted -- not a word, not an image, nor the briefest encounter. It is as if Camus is performing laser surgery on the human condition.

Glenn_Russell | Nov 13, 2018 |
It is quite a trick to write of life & death, as Camus does, in terms of an almost total social and moral vacuum. He may get philosophical satisfaction from it. Most readers will call it philosophic doodling.
added by Shortride | editTime (May 20, 1946)

"The Stranger,” a novel of crime and punishment by Albert Camus, published today, should touch off in this country a renewed burst of discussion about the young French writers who are at the moment making more unusual literary news than the writers of any other country.

Camus, AlbertAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ward, MatthewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yentus, HelenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zevi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mother died today. (Stuart Gilbert translation)
Maman died today. (Matthew Ward translation)
Aujourd'hui, maman est morte. Ou peut-être hier, je ne sais pas.
And I, too, felt ready to start life all over again. It was if that great rush of anger had washed me clean, emptied me of hope, and, gazing up at the dark sky spangled with its signs and stars, for the first time, the first, I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe. To feel it so like myself, indeed, so brotherly, made me realize that I'd been happy, and that I was happy still.
Pubblicato nel 1942, "Lo straniero" è un classico della letteratura contemporanea: protagonista è Meursault, un modesto impiegato che vive ad Algeri in uno stato di indifferenza, di estraneità a se stesso e al mondo. Un giorno, dopo un litigio, inesplicabilmente Meursault uccide un arabo. Viene arrestato e si consegna, del tutto impassibile, alle inevitabili conseguenze del fatto - il processo e la condanna a morte - senza cercare giustificazioni, difese o menzogne. Meursault è un eroe "assurdo", e la sua lucida coscienza del reale gli permette di giungere attraverso una logica esasperata alla verità di essere e di sentire.
(piopas)
Je suis étranger.

Aujourd'hui, maman est morte.

Et je ne pleure pas.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679720200, Paperback)

The Stranger is not merely one of the most widely read novels of the 20th century, but one of the books likely to outlive it. Written in 1946, Camus's compelling and troubling tale of a disaffected, apparently amoral young man has earned a durable popularity (and remains a staple of U.S. high school literature courses) in part because it reveals so vividly the anxieties of its time. Alienation, the fear of anonymity, spiritual doubt--all could have been given a purely modern inflection in the hands of a lesser talent than Camus, who won the Nobel Prize in 1957 and was noted for his existentialist aesthetic. The remarkable trick of The Stranger, however, is that it's not mired in period philosophy.

The plot is simple. A young Algerian, Meursault, afflicted with a sort of aimless inertia, becomes embroiled in the petty intrigues of a local pimp and, somewhat inexplicably, ends up killing a man. Once he's imprisoned and eventually brought to trial, his crime, it becomes apparent, is not so much the arguably defensible murder he has committed as it is his deficient character. The trial's proceedings are absurd, a parsing of incidental trivialities--that Meursault, for instance, seemed unmoved by his own mother's death and then attended a comic movie the evening after her funeral are two ostensibly damning facts--so that the eventual sentence the jury issues is both ridiculous and inevitable.

Meursault remains a cipher nearly to the story's end--dispassionate, clinical, disengaged from his own emotions. "She wanted to know if I loved her," he says of his girlfriend. "I answered the same way I had the last time, that it didn't mean anything but that I probably didn't." There's a latent ominousness in such observations, a sense that devotion is nothing more than self-delusion. It's undoubtedly true that Meursault exhibits an extreme of resignation; however, his confrontation with "the gentle indifference of the world" remains as compelling as it was when Camus first recounted it. --Ben Guterson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:42 -0400)

A young Algerian, Meursault, afflicted with a sort of aimless inertia, becomes embroiled in the petty intrigues of a local pimp and, somewhat inexplicably, ends up killing a man. Once he's imprisoned and eventually brought to trial, his crime, it becomes apparent, is not so much the arguably defensible murder he has committed as it is his deficient character. In the story of an ordinary man who unwittingly gets drawn into a senseless murder on a sun-drenched Algerian beach, Camus was exploring what he termed "the nakedness of man faced with the absurd". Now in a new American translation, the classic has been given new life for generations to come.… (more)

5 2084

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182504, 0241950058, 0141389583

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,799,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible