Springfield Confidential: Jokes, Secrets, and Outright Lies from a… (2018)

by Mike Reiss

The longest-serving writer and producer for "The Simpsons" offers a humorous look at the writing and making of the legendary Fox series that has become one of the most revered artistic achievements in television history.

Excellent. Laugh out loud good! I loved it. ( )
  gmonne | Mar 22, 2020 |
SPRINGFIELD CONFIDENTIAL is chock full of exactly what every Simpson fan would want-behind the scenes information, (so to speak, it's a cartoon), a little background on the main writer and all the others, a bit of name dropping, (and maybe a little dirt?), on the hundreds of guest stars, and finally, the stories about how certain jokes came about. It's a quick, breezy, informative and fun book.

Mike Reiss has been writing for The Simpsons from almost day one. He and everyone else on the show never thought it would last, but here we are right now, with The Simpsons being the longest running primetime scripted series to ever run in the history of television. With that many years under his belt, you can bet Mike has a lot of information for the die-hard fans and the causal fans alike. Things like the fact that one episode of the show takes 9 months from the idea to the airing. The show is written here in the U.S., but it's animated in South Korea. (Who knew?) There's some celebrity mentions as well, but I'll leave those nuggets for those of you who are interested enough to check out the book.

Being from Springfield, (MA, which is NOT the home of The Simpsons show, darn it!), I've been a fan of the show since it had a short spot on The Tracey Ullman Show, back in the day. Boy has it improved since then! I believe that I've always been smart enough to realize that I don't get all of the jokes in every episode, (Mike Reiss reads Voltaire, for heaven's sakes, I do NOT). But I do think I'm smart enough to get most of them, and that's why I've stuck with the show for all these years. If you want to know how Homer got his name or how Krusty's dad became Rabbi Krufstofski, you'll have to read this book!

Highly recommended for serious fans of the show, and for the casual fan that wants to know more!

*Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This is it.* ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
As a huge fan of The Simpsons, I was really looking forward to reading this book. I was excited to learn the inside workings of the cast and crew. It was there, but there was a lot of fluff in between. This book definitely seemed to be more about the author than the actual show. His jokes were a bit too much for me. I wish he would have split this book into two - his own witty biography and a book about the show. ( )
  lyzrdpye | Feb 16, 2019 |
You like The Simpsons. Everyone likes The Simpsons. Nobody doesn’t like The Simpsons. If you say you don’t like The Simpsons, you’re wrong.

It’s a fast read. It’s got the Simpsons-style humor (some of it’s more Dad jokes than I expected). It tells stories of behind the scenes stuff, how writing the TV show works (spoiler: it’s as unexciting as you think it is). Mike Reiss isn’t a terribly interesting individual by himself, but the things he’s seen make him interesting.

You won’t find any secret to The Simpsons success here (spoiler: there is none, except maybe the lack of studio interference) but there is an amusing recounting of his years. There’s even talk about The Critic, but it doesn’t feel like there’s enough detail, which would be my biggest gripe.

It’s a trip down memory lane for us old folks who were there when it premiered. Good for trivia night. I can’t say anything bad about this book, but I can’t say much exceptional about it. It’s a memoir, and in the top three of memoirs I’ve read. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 15, 2019 |
Amusing memoir by a comedy writer best known for his work the the Fox comedy THE SIMPSONS. Interesting insights into what goes into each episode of television's longest-running show, but the author's insistence on constantly making jokes grows old quickly. ( )
1 vote dickmanikowski | Aug 10, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,486,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible