Western Garden Book

by Sunset Editors

"The editors of Sunset-the West's most trusted source of gardening information for more than 80 years-have completely redesigned and updated The Western Garden Book in this new 2012 Ninth Edition. This edition includes a fresh new look, thousands of color photographs, fresh illustrations, and an easy-to-follow format."--Publisher.… (more)

I really should give 5 stars for this 1986 edition of Sunset’s classic Western Garden book ... I have an old-pre-ISBN-era copy from the 1970's. This updated edition is delightful and very useful in additional layout designs for problem gardening situations. The ½-star off is due to the poor coverage of the British Columbia area of the Pacific Northwest. Why stop at the 49th parallel?!!

In comparison, I subsequently found a copy of the 8th (2007) edition, and decided not to keep it. It is not nearly as user-friendly. Sections in what were previously landscaping designs for specific situations are so embellished with glossy photographs and plant cultivar close-ups as to render this information less detailed. As well, opening spreads are glossy postcard layouts, reminiscent of coffee table books emphasizing pretty views. Rather than this edition being a solid reference, these additions have reduced the book to a more general overview. So I'm preferentially keeping the 1986 edition (and my earliest Western Garden edition from the 1970's). ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Nov 3, 2019 |
My go to gardening book ( )
  LGandT | Feb 7, 2018 |
I like this edition better than the older one. The photos are a great improvement. ( )
  slwalker | Jul 21, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0376039175, 0376039167

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,460,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible