An Affair with a Spare

by Shana Galen

"An endearing love story that kept me up all hours reading... Wonderful!" --SABRINA JEFFRIES, New York Timesbestselling author, for Third Son's a Charm He's turned seduction into an art form... Rafe Beaumont, fifth son of an earl, uses his irresistible charm with the ladies to glean dangerous war secrets. Now he's putting those skills tothe ultimate test: capturing an elusive assassin by seducing his daughter. The problem? She's entirely immune to Rafe's flattery. Never before has Collette Fortier met a man as attractive as Rafe. But her father's life is at stake, and succumbing to Rafe would be disastrous. But when Rafe turns the tables on her, offering support and friendship instead of a fleeting affair, Collette finds herself tempted in ways she never could have imagined... "Bright, funny, poignant, and entertaining--everything historical romance fans could ask for." --Kirkus ReviewsStarred Review forNo Earls Allowed The Survivors Series: Third Son's a Charm (Book 1) No Earls Allowed (Book 2) An Affair With a Spare (Book 3) What People Are Saying About Shana Galen: "Shana Galen charms readers with poignantand unforgettable characters, humor, and a passionate page-turning tale that's impossible to put down... Galen is an amazing talent and never disappoints." --Lorraine Heath, New York TimesandUSA Todaybestselling author, for Third Son's a Charm "Shana Galen delivers again!...A sharp, poignant battle of wills between a wonderful wounded hero and the only heroine brave enough to get past his defenses. Don't missit!" --Eileen Dreyer, New York Timesbestselling author, for Third Son's a Charm… (more)

An Affair With A Spare is the third book in the Survivor's Series and I was shocked with how much I actually enjoyed this book here. More than the first two books I believe, it definitely had more of a "Shana Galen" stamp on it than the previous two books and this book has lots of SPIES AND LOVERS themes and I adored it. The dialogue has some contemporary phrasing, which is what keeps this book at a 4 rating but the story was solid and adored the romance that develops here.

Our tale begins with our heroine who is from France, and this story takes place shortly following the fall of Napolean Bonaparte and our heroine is out to save her father. He has been taken prisoner since he did work as an assassin for Napolean. But Collette, knows her father and knows that he is a good man that did bad things to save his family. And Collette adores her father and will do anything to save his life. So when they ask her to find England's secret codes, she does it even if she wishes that there was another way to save her father. Then enters our hero of the story.

Rafe Beaumont is the fifth son and so he is at the bottom of the food chain in his family and has always been the "forgotten" child. His mother left them when he was just a boy and he has blamed himself for his mother leaving their family. He has always been on his own though, his siblings have always dismissed him so he found his own way into the Survivor's group where he serves his country through the foreign office and found his brothers in their gentleman club. But then he is put on a new mission, to seduce Collete, suspected to be a French Spy and to gain her secrets and kill her if necessary. What begins as a hunt for secrets turns into a secret love affair where they will have to choose between loyalty and love....

What a fantastic book this story turned out to be and very reminiscent of some of the older novels by Shana Galen where she excelled at writing espionage and boy this book worked for me in so many ways. This was an audiobook, and this narrator was excellent especially in portraying the French accent by Collette, so well done in being able to switch from English and French accents between the characters and the narrator really opens up the story so well and the emotional display we hear is superb, so I can't wait to look up this lovely lady so I can listen to more of her work.

The story itself is fantastic and I really loved seeing this enemy to lovers trope and this is more they are enemies in secret, although who they come out much earlier in the book than I expected it to....so BRAVO to Shana Galen for bringing some twists that I didn't expect. I like that they begin to work together to save Collette's father, although the hero is still struggling because he has a difficult choice to make. Collette's father is an enemy to England but he is falling in love with Collette, so if he chooses to save her father he is betraying his country and everything he holds dear or he could take her father prisoner and lose his Collette forever so there are many dynamics to this story that show true emotion and what difficult choices these two are faced with. But they find their way to their happy ever after and love seeing them on their journey and seeing their love story develop.

What I was really impressed with is seeing how both Collette and Rafe battle with themselves internally throughout the story. You can see how much they hate what they are being forced to do but feel like they have no choice otherwise. And seeing them find their way out together is so precious and poignant. I was impressed with seeing the chemistry between these two, much more steamier than I have come to expect from Shana Galen so very well written here.

Overall I found An Affair With A spare to be a thrilling addition to the stories, a book that brings together two enemies and where they find a love to fight for and find their HEA!! THRILLING FROM BEGINNING TO END! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 28, 2019 |
Oh, this series!

Rafe's story was all I hoped it would be when he got stuck babysitting the orphans at Juliana's orphanage in the last book. ;) One knew there had to be something lurking behind his love-'em-and-leave-'em ways (his nickname in the war was "the Seducer") and oh, did it tug at my heartstrings to hear what it was. There were some guilty giggles, too--no, it's not amusing that a small child is forgotten by the rest of his large family, yet somehow Ms. Galen's retelling of a few of the situations made me smile. More than once. (Not my fault! Blame her excellent storytelling skills...)

Speaking of amusement, Collette's tendency to spout off random hedgehog facts when she's nervous (more often than not having to do with their mating habits--apparently these are the books she read to help her learn English???) had me out-and-out LOLing so. Many. Times. Add in the drama and danger of spying and (possible) double-crossing and/or double-agenting, and it's pretty much a given that I'm going to love this book. Likable, relatable characters, humor, andespionage? Yes, please!

Ms. Galen definitely piques our interest in her epilogue about what is going on with the scarred and mysterious Jasper--that had better mean that his book in next! In the meantime, I'll get caught up by listening to Ewan's story in an attempt to buy patience...

Rating: 4 stars / A-

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. ( )
  beckymmoe | Jul 8, 2018 |
An Affair with a Spare is #3 in the "The Survivors"series, but can be read as a stand alone. This is the story of Rafe Beaumont the fifth son of an earl and who uses his charm with the ladies to find out secrets. Collette Fortier father’s life is at stake, so she has to spy for the French to try to save him. A page turner for me, grab me from the beginning to end. Filled with secrets, spies, danger, trust, passion, love and romance. But can Rafe and Collette find their HEA and save her father?
Well crafted with charming and engaging characters. The storyline flows seamlessly and effortlessly. What a joy to read!
"I voluntarily received a complimentary copy, however, these are my honest opinions. I was in no way required nor compensated to write a review."

Rating: 4.5
Heat rating: Mild
Reviewer: AprilR ( )
  tarenn | Jul 4, 2018 |
Series: The Survivors #3
Publication Date: 7/3/18

This book is filled with spies, assassins, danger, trickery, betrayal, and yes, love and lust. The writing is excellent, the plots well thought-out and executed and the characters are very relatable and likable. The series focuses on the few survivors of a suicide team from the Napoleonic wars – they were spare heirs whose lives were expendable and they took on the most dangerous secret missions of the war. Most didn’t make it back, but these are the stories of the few who did survive. Rafe Beaumont is one of those survivors and you just always knew there had to be more to him than was apparent and that there was a story buried deep within him. I certainly loved learning what that story was.

Rafe Beaumont, the fifth son of an earl, is seen by everyone as a fribble, a seducer, someone with no real substance. The truth is, he isn’t a seducer – those women chase him with one purpose – being seduced. He’s drop-dead gorgeous, a skilled lover and the most charming man anyone would want to meet. Everybody loves him. Rafe is one of the survivors and he’s always been a little resentful that he was never given the dangerous, exciting missions. His missions were always about seducing information from the wife or lover of someone who held knowledge of French war strategies, etc. Those were easy tasks for Rafe because he never got attached to anyone – he never had a problem walking away. As a matter of fact, he always did the walking away. He’d never give anybody the chance to make him care and then walk away from him.

Imagine Rafe’s total shock when, after being given an assignment, the lady in question seems totally immune to his charms. She’s just not interested. That is just not possible. Is he losing his touch? He’s never actually had to pursue anyone, so he’s not sure how to proceed. Can he figure it out and complete his mission?

Collette Fortier is the daughter of Napoleon’s most successful assassin. The wars are over, but the English would love to get their hands on him. Actually, the English aren’t the only ones. The French royalists have already taken him prisoner and are forcing Collette to spy for them. Her mission – to obtain the codes England uses in its communications. If she doesn’t succeed, her father doesn’t survive. It is just that simple. So, Collette absolutely cannot allow her attraction to Rafe Beaumont to show or to act upon it in any way.

Collette’s ‘cousin’ in England, Lady Ravensgate, is actually no relation at all. Collette had never met the woman before. However, this 'cousin' now holds the future of both Collette and her father in her hands. She sees that Collette gets to all of the important social functions that would allow Collette to collect information and meet the people who can lead her to the codes she needs. Collette is focused on Lieutenant Colonel Draven, but she cannot get her to engage with her – and then, suddenly, Rafe Beaumont is paying her attention. When he can’t seduce her, he offers to be her friend. Can she be friends with him and not let her attraction show? Is he really offering friendship or does he have ulterior motives? Can she use him to get the information she needs?

There is always an element of humor involved in these books – and this one is no exception. Collette used a natural history volume on hedgehogs in order to learn English. So, when she is nervous – quotes from the manual escape her mouth. It is totally entertaining and smile-worthy to see where and when these quotes pop out of her mouth.
"During courting rituals the hedgehog sow continually rejects the boar, turning to give him her
blank."
"The majority of snorting during hedgehog courtship originates from the sow."

Epilogues are one of my favorite things in a book, and this one had a lovely one. However, I would have liked the epilogue to either be longer – or for the epilogue to have an epilogue – something. I wanted to know more about the trip, what happened at the end, how they survived with no money, etc. I just wanted more. Since the end seemed rushed, I really did want more substantive answers to my questions.

Now, to begin my impatient wait for the next book which will feature Jasper.

Please check out my reviews at:
Blog: https://flippinpages.blog/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/flippinpages...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FlippinPagesRev
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BarbBookReview

"I requested and received this e-book at no cost to me and volunteered to read it; my review is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher." ( )
  BarbaraRogers | Jun 27, 2018 |
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley to read in exchange for a fair review. An Affair With A Spare by Shana Galen is the 3rd book in her Survivor series. This book could be read as a stand-alone but I think you will enjoy it even more if you have read the first two books as they are both excellent as well. Collette Fortier is in England pretending to be a sweet young debutante in order to obtain codes used by the British during secret correspondence. Her father is being held captive in a French prison to ensure her compliance. Rafe Beaumont one of the Survivors aka The Seducer has been assigned the task of discovering just who Collette is and preventing her from obtaining what she seeks. What he thought was an easy assignment ... seduce the girl get her secrets ... eliminate her if necessary turns out to be not so easy when she turns him down flat ... something that has never happened to him before. If you like a bit of adventure, mystery and danger with your romance then you will most likely enjoy this book as much as I did. Quite steamy. Publishing Date July 3, 2018 #NetGalley
#AnAffairWithASpare ( )
  nmgski | Jun 21, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Shana Galen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,760,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible