Flip the Silver Switch by Jackie Yeager

Flip the Silver Switch

by Jackie Yeager

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Kia and her team from New York, the Crimson Five, made it through Nationals. Now they are on their way to the Piedmont Global Championships in Quebec. There they will compete against other kids just like them, inventors and problem solvers from around the world.
But when they arrive, the team is presented with a new task that they must solve, and in only two weeks. When lack of inspiration and nasty rumors leave the team with doubts. Kia knows that they will have to do something to bring them all back together before it is too late or they will lose the competition.
This was a very entertaining story about a group pf five very creative and intelligent young people as they compete for the chance to have their invention created.
Kia is the main character of this story, but in reality it follows all five of her team members. These kids are very bright for their age, but they are still young children so they have doubts, and worries and fears.
I loved the ideas and the inventions the Crimson Five and the other teams came up with. I wish I had read book one beforehand in order to know more about their first invention, but despite that fact, I was still able to follow along.
The settings were very imaginative and intriguing. Their tree-houses were very creative, as well as the thinking pool. Though I wish I had been able to know how to get across those jungle gym bars.
All in all, I really enjoyed this book and would give it four out of five stars. I would recommend it to young readers with a love for invention.
I received my copy of this novel from Librarything.com for the sole purpose of providing an honest review. The image featured above is my own.
stephanietiner.weebly.com
  Stephergiggles | Sep 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

It took me a little bit to get into the story, as I had not read the first one and was trying to figure out the characters and what had happened to lead them to the challenge they were at today. I like the premise of the story, having a group of children working together to create a new invention and compete against teams from around the world. I think I would have liked it more had the author included some of the challenges the team had to solve and how they did it. ( )
  JaxlynLeigh | Sep 21, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was not scientific enough for me. It is about a group of student inventors going to an international championship. If their idea for an invention wins, it will be developed. Their idea is an ancestry app. There is never any explanation of how it will work and what technology will make their idea possible. There are too many tasks for these students and the tasks have nothing to do with inventions. In order to explain how hover scooters work the author just says it uses hover gel--at least say air pressure here. They have things called Piedmont watches which track the students. That technology already exists--the author did not need to make up something here--our phones and smartwatches do this. The French was terrible. The author did not use any accents and just added le to English words. She also forgot to drop the e in le before a vowel. Much time was spent with the group working on a skit instead of inventing. There was no explanation of why they would do a skit at an invention competition. Finally, there were attempts at meaningful quotes that failed. "Our team is not a team until every team mate is here" was just annoying. Because there was no science in this book, I couldn't tell if the author was going for Sci Fi or Fantasy. Either way, If I can't tell what genre the author is going for, then the book is a failure. ( )
  AmandaSanders | Sep 20, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not read the first book in this series and had little problems diving into the story with book two. It did, however, take a few pages to get a hold on the characters and situation. So, I would recommend starting at the beginning of the series even if it's not completely necessary.

Imagination, team work and determination make this a read packed with great things for the middle grade audience.

The Crimson Five are back again, this time heading to Quebec to take part in the next level of the science/invention competition. Not only do the five face unexpected challenges, but soon uncover somethings which make them question several things about themselves and the competition.

This book is solidly written for the intended age group. The writing, vocabulary, character interactions, scenes and problems fit the age slot perfectly and never risk going over board. Each of the five kids demonstrates a distinct personality, making sure that readers will find at least one they can easily identify with. The kids have thoughts and problems which are easy to relate to, and the book is sprinkled with words of wisdom and good messages which inspire team work, friendship, determination, and inspiration.

The story takes place on a future Earth which lets imagination flow while still keeping close enough to our modern world to keep everything familiar. There's a mixture of imagination, science, math, arts, and cultures which creates a well rounded read. A little more exactness in the science area would have been nice, considering this is a science competition, but it's still an enjoyable read. There's a hint of something dark and sinister lurking in the background, but it's never really made clear what the evil intentions are...something which promises excitement for the books to come.

All in all, this is a nice futuristic and wholesome read. There are many great messages in these pages, while keeping the story exciting yet never too harsh for the age group.

I received a complimentary copy and found it such a nice read that I wanted to leave my honest thoughts. ( )
  tdrecker | Sep 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a real fun book for kids, full of imagination, problem solving, teamwork, and the right amount of pathos. The series could definitely become a movie for Disney Chanel. ( )
  mrmapcase | Aug 27, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jackie Yeager's book Flip the Silver Switch is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Jackie Yeager is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible