Unthinkable: An Extraordinary Journey…

Unthinkable: An Extraordinary Journey Through the World's Strangest Brains (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Helen Thomson (Author)

"Award-winning science writer Helen Thomson unlocks the biggest mysteries of the human brain by examining nine extraordinary cases." -- Book jacket.
Member:robynclark
Title:Unthinkable: An Extraordinary Journey Through the World's Strangest Brains
Authors:Helen Thomson (Author)
Info:Ecco (2018), 288 pages

Unthinkable: An Extraordinary Journey Through the World's Strangest Brains by Helen Thomson (2018)

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
I didn’t expect to be called out so hard by this book but here we are. I thought I was just bad at directions, but I went online and did some assessment tests and it turns out I may have Developmental Topographical Disorientation! I’m not sure what to do with this information but thanks, I guess. ( )
  widdersyns | Jul 19, 2020 |
A light and quick tour through some of the more unusual mental conditions told through interviews with people with the conditions. A fun read for anyone with a casual interest in neuroscience. ( )
  duchessjlh | May 6, 2020 |
A good if somewhat bizarre collection of biographies of different people with strange and interesting brains that make you reevaluate the nature of humanity. I think there’s insight here and some of it is genuinely fascinating. Some of it however drags a little. A good book. ( )
  aadyer | Jun 24, 2019 |
A science journalist’s interest in rare brain disorders takes her around the world as she meets people with lycanthropy, audio hallucinations, Cotard delusion or Walking Corpse Syndrome (ie thinking you’re dead). I listened to the audiobook, read by Thomson herself, & I felt all the earnestness and hard work that she poured into her research as well as her fascination for the subject. #scienceseptember ( )
  RealLifeReading | Sep 20, 2018 |
Unthinkable is very interesting and very readable. Not terribly in depth, but a nice overview of some unusual workings of the brain. It does include good notes if one wants to read further. I enjoyed meeting these folks. I felt a bit voyeuristic, but I was glad these folks were open enough to share their lives with us. ( )
  njcur | Aug 6, 2018 |
For Mum
Introduction
The Strange Life of the Brain
It's not something you easily forget: the first time you see a human head sitting upon a table. The worst part is the smell. The unforgettable stench of formaldehyde, the chemical fixative in which bits of the body are hardened and preserved. It gets up into your nostrils and really sticks around.
I
Bob
Never Forgetting a Moment
In 500 BC, the poet Simonides of Ceos was sitting in a large banqueting-hall. Rather than enjoying the meal, he was angry with his host — Scopas, a rich nobleman. Simonides had been promised a fine sum of money to compose a poem in his host's honour, which he had recited to the guests. But Scopas had refused to pay him. He told Simonides that the poem spent too long referring to the mythical twins Castor and Pollux and not enough time on his recent victories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,715,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible