The skeptics' guide to the universe : how to…

The skeptics' guide to the universe : how to know what's really real in a… (edition 2019)

by Steven Novella

"It is intimidating to realize that we live in a world overflowing with misinformation, bias, myths, deception, and flawed knowledge. There really are no ultimate authority figures--no one has the secret, and there is no place to look up the definitive answers to our questions (not even Google). Luckily, THE SKEPTICS' GUIDE TO THE UNIVERSE is your map through this maze of modern life. Here Dr. Steven Novella--along with Bob Novella, Cara Santa Maria, Jay Novella, and Evan Bernstein--will explain the tenets of skeptical thinking and debunk some of the biggest scientific myths, fallacies, and conspiracy theories--from anti-vaccines to homeopathy, UFO sightings to N-rays. You'll learn the difference between science and pseudoscience, essential critical thinking skills, ways to discuss conspiracy theories with that crazy co-worker of yours, and how to combat sloppy reasoning, bad arguments, and superstitious thinking. "--Amazon.com.… (more)
Member:KieronMcNulty
Title:The skeptics' guide to the universe : how to know what's really real in a world increasingly full of fake
Authors:Steven Novella
Info:London : Hodder, 2019.
Rating:****1/2

Work Information

The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe: How to Know What's Really Real in a World Increasingly Full of Fake by Steven Novella

The first 200 pages of this is great. After that it's mostly fodder for fans, I think, with the author recounting various "adventures in skepticism" which are vaguely snarky and smack of superiority. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
I've been reading science and skeptical blogs for over a decade, so most of this wasn't new to me, but it was a well put together book. The bulk of the book is about concepts and how to think: confirmation bias, logical fallacies, the availability heuristic, and so on.

The section about specific adventures in skepticism is shorter, but fun--nothing new.

It's a good read for sharpening up your thinking, though occasionally it could do with acknowledging some of science's weaknesses--not so much the concept of scientific investigation, but the limits of our scientific knowledge. ( )
  arosoff | Jul 11, 2021 |
This should be required reading for everyone--not just the choir of scientific skeptics. ( )
  suzecate | Nov 2, 2020 |
I cannot praise this book enough. It's coverage of skepticism and critical thinking is comprehensive without belaboring the various topics (it does get long in a few parts, but the topics are complex or multi-faceted). It's longer than the standard ~300-page science writing books, so it doesn't scrimp or sacrifice on quality. It's a must have for skeptics, being practical in it's applicability. I've read scores of other books on skepticism and still learned from the SGU book. I came away with new and fresh insights. It doesn't try to be an end-all-be-all book, but it does a pretty good job. The tone and pacing are good, it's not dogmatic, but authoritative yet humble. ( )
  Zcorbain | Nov 10, 2019 |
A great guide on how to think skeptically and the logical fallacies to watch out for. A weighty tome, but doesn't have to be read cover to cover - you could use it more as a reference guide if you refer, just reading specific topics of interest. ( )
  adam.currey | Feb 9, 2019 |
Dedicated to Perry DeAngelis, A friend and skeptic of some note
Spock lied to me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,617,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible