El Chupacabras

by Adam Rubin

A long time ago, a girl named Carla lived on a goat farm with her father, Hector. One night, a goat disappeared from the farm and turned up flat as a pancake. Only one creature could do that-El Chupacabras, the goatsucker! Legend has it that El Chupacabras is a fearsome beast, but you can't believe everything you hear...and sometimes the truth is even more interesting. Told in equal parts English and Spanish by bestselling author Adam Rubin, and cinematically illustrated by acclaimed Hollywood creature creator Crash McCreery, this lighthearted take on a modern legend is not told in the traditional bilingual style. Each sentence is half-Spanish/half-English followed by a repetition of the same line translated the other way around. This mirroring technique allows the languages to intermingle equally. A fun and unique way to introduce either Spanish or English to new readers. A note from author Adam Rubin- "I decided to tell this story in an unusual way to explore the beauty of harmony. It's easy to dismiss the unfamiliar, but compassion takes a little more effort. With so many people trumpeting divisiveness right now, it's more important than ever to teach kids that there is more than one way to understand the world."… (more)

Funny, and truly bilingual -- each sentence with both Spanish and English parts, transposed beneath it, which is a fascinating way to read a book. The goat pancakes are amazing. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
This book was a wonderful retelling of the legend of el chupacabras. The sentences in the story are told in a mixture of Spanish and English, making El Chupacabras, a spectacular bilingual read. Carla lives with her father Hector on a farm. One night, Hector and Carla hear a suspicious sound. When they investigate the next morning they find a goat sucked dry. Aware of the legend, they fear for the rest of the goats. Hector, in search of a way to protect his precious goats, ends up making a mess of things. Their salvation comes from the unlikeliest of sources: el chupacabras himself. Rubin's version of the legend of el chupacabras does a fantastic job of showing you how things are not always what they seem. I can see myself using this book as a fun teachable moment! ( )
  RaquelRomero | Sep 21, 2020 |
This is one of the best children's books I have ever read. It is hilarious. The art is fantastic. The story is fun. I love that, unlike most bilingual books, it isn't a straightforward division of the story-in-English here and the story-in-Spanish there. Sentences are mixtures of both languages. It takes a minute to get used to, but once you get the feel for it, it flows. Even better, all of the author's proceeds go to the Hispanic Federation!

I love this book so much. I have to get my own copy. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Aug 5, 2018 |
This is the legend of the Chupacabra a beast that sucked the life out of the farm animals. This book is in Spanish and English, but more like Spanglish. Sentences are a mix of both languages. The story was very funny and I enjoyed it. ( )
  SarahTrenticosta | May 2, 2018 |
I can confidently this is my favorite picture book I have ever read. In preschool, we were not allowed to say his name. in Primary we were told in P.E. to run on the track because el Chupacabras lived behind the trees and he could easily confuse us with a goat and eat us...there is no Hispanic child that has never heard of this haunting creature I love how the text of this book is made.perfect for the ones that are bilingual and the ones who aren't. it starts
" This all happened a long time ago, en una granja de cabras.
Todo esto ocurrió hace mucho tiempo, on a goat farm."
the hilarious plot twist on this book makes el Chupacabras the hero. After finding a flat goat pankae that was attacked by the creature, Hector, the owner of the farm sprays a magic powder on the goats to protect them but they grow into giants and start eating the town. the farmer's daughter Carla goes to get the Chupacabras who saves the day by sucking the "gigantness" of the goats away. I laughed so much with the book. the cute tiny chupacabras and the goats are so funny. ( )
  MonikaNicole | Apr 27, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,091,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible