Dead Man Running (An Alex McKnight Thriller)…

Dead Man Running (An Alex McKnight Thriller)

by Steve Hamilton

Seems quite likely I'd have liked this story better without all those earlier Alex McKnight stories running through my head. The story is well-constructed, and the murders described are painful. McKnight's connection to the killer's pretty slim. I had some notion of that connection before it was explained, partly because I understand Alex's history, but I still think it's a weak reed to build this tale around.

For the first time I'm a bit bothered by the more general McKnight timeframe, too. His baseball career would have him aged about 25 in 1970 (check out Gene Lamont, who's mentioned in the story); that would put Alex over 70 today. The character in this book could be my age, but he really doesn't seem my age. I've the exact same problem with several other characters in this story--it makes more sense if they're 50ish than in their 70s. Gosh these old folks do a lot of driving in this book. ( )
  joeldinda | Jan 16, 2019 |
I thought this book started out great and kept my attention fairly well throughout. I haven’t read any of the other books in the series. It was a pretty good stand alone book. I think the end tailed off a little but maybe earlier books in the series had details that would have made the ending more significant. ( )
  mattstadtmueller | Jan 4, 2019 |
The serial killer in this thriller is both brilliant and totally wacko, and obsessed with Alex McKnight, a retired police officer who was featured in some of Hamilton’s earlier books. After the killer's latest gruesome attack in Arizona, he allows himself to be caught, and insists he will only talk to Alex.

The FBI brings Alex from Paradise, Michigan to Scottsdale, Arizona, even though Alex insists he has no idea who this man is.

The killer, Martin Livermore, is a robotics engineer, so can come up with all sorts of clever ways to abuse his victims. And after he is caught the FBI is able to use his DNA to tie him to all the women tortured and killed in similar ways in a number of states in the west. But what ties him to Alex?

Evaluation: The pace and tension will keep you riveted, but I am hoping the story isn’t realistic. (Ha ha, at every author’s panel I’ve attended, crime authors say they get the same comments, and reveal that in fact, they get their ideas from the news. Frightening!) ( )
  nbmars | Sep 19, 2018 |
Kind of like a David Baldacci Amos Decker novel. A serial killer seems fixated on Alex McKnight. Why? Eventually all is revealed and more Alex McKnight sequels would seem to be in the future. ( )
  velopunk | Sep 3, 2018 |
Five long years have past since Steve Hamilton let us visit with Alex McKnight. I thought we would never go back to Paradise, Michigan. Thank you Mr. Hamilton for our return. Alex hasn't changed much...still seems to be haunted by his past and struggling to make something of his future. He really didn't need a serial killer he has never heard of but who obviously knows every moment of his life, making demands and bringing the FBI to his door. I enjoyed the book but Alex didn't seem like himself in this one...hence the 4.5 stars instead of 5. I don't think the old Alex would have been this careless or made this many mistakes. I also missed the close friendships between Alex and the people of this small Michigan town. In spite of this...it's good to have Alex back and please Mr, Hamilton don't make us wait another 5 years! ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 30, 2018 |

"Alex McKnight--hero of Steve Hamilton's bestselling, award-winning, and beloved private eye series--is back in a high-stakes, nail-biting thriller, facing the most dangerous enemy he's ever encountered. On the Mediterranean Sea, a vacationer logs onto the security camera feed from his home in Scottsdale, Arizona. Something about his living room seems not quite right--the room is bright, when he's certain he'd left the curtains closed. Rewinding through the feed, he sees an intruder. When he shifts to the bedroom camera, he sees the dead body. Martin T. Livermore is the key suspect in the abduction and murder of at least five women, but he's never been this sloppy before. When the FBI finally catches him in Scottsdale, he declares he'll only talk to one person: a retired police officer from Detroit, now a private investigator living in the tiny town of Paradise, Michigan. A man named Alex McKnight. Livermore means nothing to McKnight, but it soon becomes clear McKnight means something to Livermore. and that Livermore's capture was only the beginning of an elaborate, twisted plot with McKnight at the center. In a hunt that will take him across the country and to the edge of his limits, McKnight fights to stop a vicious killer before he can exact his ultimate revenge. And his grand finale will cut closer to home than he ever could have imagined"--"The 11th book in the Alex McKnight series"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,357,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible