Dead Man Running (An Alex McKnight Thriller)

by Steve Hamilton

Series: Alex McKnight (11)

Alex McKnight--hero of Steve Hamilton's bestselling, award-winning, and beloved private eye series--is back in a high-stakes, nail-biting thriller, facing the most dangerous enemy he's ever encountered. On the Mediterranean Sea, a vacationer logs on to the security-camera feed from his home in Scottsdale, Arizona. Something about his living room seems not quite right--the room is bright, when he's certain he'd left the curtains closed. Rewinding through the feed, he sees an intruder. When he shifts to the bedroom camera, he sees the dead body. Martin T. Livermore is the key suspect in the abduction and murder of at least five women, but he's never been this sloppy before. When the FBI finally catches him in Scottsdale, he declares he'll only talk to one person: a retired police officer from Detroit, now a private investigator living in the tiny town of Paradise, Michigan. A man named Alex McKnight. Livermore means nothing to McKnight, but it soon becomes clear McKnight means something to Livermore...and that Livermore's capture was only the beginning of an elaborate, twisted plot with McKnight at the center. In a hunt that will take him across the country and to the edge of his limits, McKnight fights to stop a vicious killer before he can exact his ultimate revenge. And his grand finale will cut closer to home than he ever could have imagined.… (more)

I really liked this series, and this is my least favorite of the lot. Probably because it involved a serial killer. ( )
  RobertaLea | Sep 12, 2020 |
A serial killer tells his FBI interviewers he will only talk to Alex McKnight. The killer leads them to a spot in the Arizona desert. Shackled and chained he kills all those present with the except himself and McKnight, who has no clue way the killer has chosen his as his antagonist. McKnight chases the Killer across states lines to find the answer. An excellent thriller. ( )
  lewilliams | Nov 23, 2019 |
Seems quite likely I'd have liked this story better without all those earlier Alex McKnight stories running through my head. The story is well-constructed, and the murders described are painful. McKnight's connection to the killer's pretty slim. I had some notion of that connection before it was explained, partly because I understand Alex's history, but I still think it's a weak reed to build this tale around.

For the first time I'm a bit bothered by the more general McKnight timeframe, too. His baseball career would have him aged about 25 in 1970 (check out Gene Lamont, who's mentioned in the story); that would put Alex over 70 today. The character in this book could be my age, but he really doesn't seem my age. I've the exact same problem with several other characters in this story--it makes more sense if they're 50ish than in their 70s. Gosh these old folks do a lot of driving in this book. ( )
  joeldinda | Jan 16, 2019 |
I thought this book started out great and kept my attention fairly well throughout. I haven’t read any of the other books in the series. It was a pretty good stand alone book. I think the end tailed off a little but maybe earlier books in the series had details that would have made the ending more significant. ( )
  mattstadtmueller | Jan 4, 2019 |
The serial killer in this thriller is both brilliant and totally wacko, and obsessed with Alex McKnight, a retired police officer who was featured in some of Hamilton’s earlier books. After the killer's latest gruesome attack in Arizona, he allows himself to be caught, and insists he will only talk to Alex.

The FBI brings Alex from Paradise, Michigan to Scottsdale, Arizona, even though Alex insists he has no idea who this man is.

The killer, Martin Livermore, is a robotics engineer, so can come up with all sorts of clever ways to abuse his victims. And after he is caught the FBI is able to use his DNA to tie him to all the women tortured and killed in similar ways in a number of states in the west. But what ties him to Alex?

Evaluation: The pace and tension will keep you riveted, but I am hoping the story isn’t realistic. (Ha ha, at every author’s panel I’ve attended, crime authors say they get the same comments, and reveal that in fact, they get their ideas from the news. Frightening!) ( )
  nbmars | Sep 19, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,828,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible