Dead Man Running (2018)

by Steve Hamilton

Series: Alex McKnight (11)

Alex McKnight--hero of Steve Hamilton's bestselling, award-winning, and beloved private eye series--is back in a high-stakes, nail-biting thriller, facing the most dangerous enemy he's ever encountered. On the Mediterranean Sea, a vacationer logs on to the security-camera feed from his home in Scottsdale, Arizona. Something about his living room seems not quite right--the room is bright, when he's certain he'd left the curtains closed. Rewinding through the feed, he sees an intruder. When he shifts to the bedroom camera, he sees the dead body. Martin T. Livermore is the key suspect in the abduction and murder of at least five women, but he's never been this sloppy before. When the FBI finally catches him in Scottsdale, he declares he'll only talk to one person: a retired police officer from Detroit, now a private investigator living in the tiny town of Paradise, Michigan. A man named Alex McKnight. Livermore means nothing to McKnight, but it soon becomes clear McKnight means something to Livermore...and that Livermore's capture was only the beginning of an elaborate, twisted plot with McKnight at the center. In a hunt that will take him across the country and to the edge of his limits, McKnight fights to stop a vicious killer before he can exact his ultimate revenge. And his grand finale will cut closer to home than he ever could have imagined.… (more)

Steve Hamilton continues his outstanding Alex McKnight series in Dead Man Running. The book is a primer on how to write fast paced, tightly woven, suspense novels. Ex-Detroit police officer, Alex McKnight is the only person Marvin T. Livermore, a deranged killer and kidnapper of at least seven women will talk with after he is caught by the FBI. He gives the FBI personal details of Alex’’s life in order to set the bait. Trouble is, McKnight doesn’t know the guy from Adam and has no idea or how he could possibly know such intimate details of his life. True to form, Livermore escapes from FBI custody. He sets off across the country, but not before leaving a trail of clues that only McKnight can follow. It seems Livermore is always two steps ahead of McKnight. If he wants to solve the mystery of who this guy is McKnight will have to delve deep into his past and solve the bread crumbs that Livermore is mockingly dropping across the country in order to play with his head. As the trail leads McKnight back to his old stomping grounds he finds his past is indeed catching up with him. ( )
  Ronrose1 | Jul 9, 2021 |
I really liked this series, and this is my least favorite of the lot. Probably because it involved a serial killer. ( )
  RobertaLea | Sep 12, 2020 |
A serial killer tells his FBI interviewers he will only talk to Alex McKnight. The killer leads them to a spot in the Arizona desert. Shackled and chained he kills all those present with the except himself and McKnight, who has no clue way the killer has chosen his as his antagonist. McKnight chases the Killer across states lines to find the answer. An excellent thriller. ( )
  lewilliams | Nov 23, 2019 |
Seems quite likely I'd have liked this story better without all those earlier Alex McKnight stories running through my head. The story is well-constructed, and the murders described are painful. McKnight's connection to the killer's pretty slim. I had some notion of that connection before it was explained, partly because I understand Alex's history, but I still think it's a weak reed to build this tale around.

For the first time I'm a bit bothered by the more general McKnight timeframe, too. His baseball career would have him aged about 25 in 1970 (check out Gene Lamont, who's mentioned in the story); that would put Alex over 70 today. The character in this book could be my age, but he really doesn't seem my age. I've the exact same problem with several other characters in this story--it makes more sense if they're 50ish than in their 70s. Gosh these old folks do a lot of driving in this book. ( )
  joeldinda | Jan 16, 2019 |
I thought this book started out great and kept my attention fairly well throughout. I haven’t read any of the other books in the series. It was a pretty good stand alone book. I think the end tailed off a little but maybe earlier books in the series had details that would have made the ending more significant. ( )
  mattstadtmueller | Jan 4, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,257,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible