Luck in the Shadows: The Nightrunner Series,…

Luck in the Shadows: The Nightrunner Series, Book I: 1 (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Lynn Flewelling (Author)

Series: Nightrunner (1)

2,198515,242 (4.06)98
"A new star is rising in the fantasy firmament...teems with magic and spine-chilling amounts of skullduggery."–Dave Duncan, author of The Great Game When young Alec of Kerry is taken prisoner for a crime he didn’t commit, he is certain that his life is at an end. But one thing he never expected was his cellmate. Spy, rogue, thief, and noble, Seregil of Rhiminee is many things–none of them predictable. And when he offers to take on Alec as his apprentice, things may never be the same for either of them. Soon Alec is traveling roads he never knew existed, toward a war he never suspected was brewing. Before long he and Seregil are embroiled in a sinister plot that runs deeper than either can imagine, and that may cost them far more than their lives if they fail. But fortune is as unpredictable as Alec’s new mentor, and this time there just might be…Luck in the Shadows.… (more)
Member:ephemeralmochi
Title:Luck in the Shadows: The Nightrunner Series, Book I: 1
Authors:Lynn Flewelling (Author)
Info:Bantam USA (1996), Edition: Reissue, 496 pages
Rating:***

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (1996)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: These books share a "Gentleman Thief" Theme and some of the schemes plotted reminded me of Seregil's antics.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (FallenEldar)
    FallenEldar: Book had a similar feel as well as a character that made me think of Seregil.
    Night Angel Trilogy (3-in-1) by Brent Weeks (FallenEldar)
    FallenEldar: A darker world than in Nightrunner following an assassin rather than a thief. Still has intrigue and double lives.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.
    Prisoner by Megan Derr (themephi)
    Scarlet & the White Wolf by Kirby Crow (Isan)
    A Strong and Sudden Thaw by R. W. Day (Isan)
    A Business of Ferrets by Beth Hilgartner (puddleshark)
    Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner (pwaites)
    Daggerspell by Katharine Kerr (ligature)
    Brethren: Raised By Wolves, Volume One by W. A. Hoffman (infiniteletters)

English (49)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
On the second thought -1.5 stars, where half star is for the nice cover art.

It's not even the lack of m/m romance, it's the lack of adventure and consistency, the fact that the opening line of the story is dropped and forgotten by 30%, the fact that prose takes on purplish tint through the middle for no reason at all that bothers me.

Mysteries pop up left and right, but they are never revealed for the exception of one or two minor instances. I do realise there are more books in the series, but I don't want to find out what the commotion in the beginning of the first volume was about at the end of the last installment. If I invest my time and money in series this long, I expect the author to give me something back in return. Something other than boredom and frustration.

Not sure if or when I will find time to read the second book. There are more exciting and entertaining one-star reads out there, like [b:Taken|18697536|Taken (The Harvest, #1)|M.A. Church|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1382431633s/18697536.jpg|26550291] or [b:Command and Compliance|15774844|Command and Compliance (Of Werewolves and Men, #6)|Tadgh Faolan|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343508810s/15774844.jpg|21485762]. Laugh at me, but I will read the next installment of "Command..." for it was quite entertaining in its unbelievably awful freakishness. ( )
  Mrella | Mar 8, 2021 |
No idea how I've not run into this series (and author) sooner, but this was bloody fantastic, and far better put together than most sword and sorcery material. Plain old beautiful writing and plot always makes my day. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
3 1/2

A lot of the material is standard fantasy: naming, world-building, plotting, etc. However, the characters (also of a type) are *fun.* I enjoyed spending time with them, there was some good snark. Will read on and see if that is developed further. ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
A great story with enjoyable characters, but there was way too much exposition. I found myself skipping paragraphs of history/legend. I'm looking forward to reading the second book, but I'm hoping Flewelling learnt to blend the story with the world building a bit better. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
I had tons of really smart things to say about this book, but I cant remember them. You see, I am writing this after finishing the whole 7.5 book series.

All I can say is this

FANTASY- All of the elements of good high fantasy are there. Magic, Fae,Swords and Sorcery, High seas adventure, etc. it just has it all

Characters- I have read a lot of books and I don't think I have come across many books with characters that are so well thought out, so relevant, so great. Good guy or bad guy, you will love or love to hate these wonderful characters.

Romance- Alec and Seragil relationship is so great. Its not in your face, yes this is m/m but absolutely no stereotypes were used. And while this is a small rant about Book One, the relationship just unfolds so lovely book after book until the end.

SO that's a small rant, I don't include synopsis because they are easily available and better than what I could come up with

BUT.....READ this book. I RECCOMEND IT !!!! ( )
  AndrewGH | Oct 10, 2019 |
added by gsc55 | editRainbow Gold Reviews (Nov 4, 2014)

Lynn Flewellingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Norey, VirginiaMap makersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarez-Santullano, Manuel MataTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grixa, SusiÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Todd, RaymondNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for you, Doug, for all the best reasons. LBF.
Mouldering bone crumbled beneath their boots as Lord Mardus and Vargul Ashnazai lowered themselves into the tiny chamber beneath the earthen mound.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,680,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible