Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Where the Crawdads Sing (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Delia Owens (Author)

Member:amywhorton
Title:Where the Crawdads Sing
Authors:Delia Owens (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2018), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, 384 pages

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (2018)

A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (gypsysmom)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though much about these novels is dissimilar, both offer a historical Southern setting and a farcical trial that illuminates the small-minded nature of a town's inhabitants. Both atmospheric novels also feature young female protagonists who come of age under challenging circumstances.… (more)
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (kristenl)
    Let's No One Get Hurt by Jon Pineda (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both coming of age stories are character driven and center on young women living on the outskirts of society. Vivid imagery of locales in the southern United States feature prominently.
    The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel (kristenl)
    A Drop in the Ocean: A Novel by Jenni Ogden (rainpebble)

English (81)  Dutch (1)  All languages (82)
What can anyone add to reader reviews of a book that has an incredible average rating of 4.8 from almost 10,000 readers? Not much I’m guessing, unless you want to get picky about a couple of things. So that’s what I’ll do. “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens is a very nice story that really doesn’t need its flashback structure. I thought that added nothing and often was a bit of a distraction, and unnecessarily confusing. The story is about Kya, a seven year old girl, who is abandoned by her mother as a consequence of the Pa’s drunken beatings. Really? – Mom abandons girl to Pa who has already hit the kid? Yet Kya is left with Pa and an older brother (older siblings had drifted off years earlier). But a couple of years later the remaining family has disappeared and Kya is left with no money, no education, no friends, no nothin’. And somehow survives out of sheer grit and reading lessons from an older boy who lives in town.

Kya loves the marsh, and is known to the locals as The Marsh Girl. She loves the critters, particularly the birds that cluster all about her when she tosses them crumbs at water’s edge. But it’s not just the animals; she loves the insects especially the sexy fireflies, the grasses, the trees (great hiding places) and all the colors – interestingly no snakes(?). She borrows books from her friend Tate, and even the University library. She draws, paints and makes notes of what she sees. And then writes a book, then another, then….Really(?) And she has become a young woman, who speaks better than most college grads. Really(?)

Ok, I am getting a bit picky here. After all, this is a story, a grand story and some things are real stretches, and I haven’t even gotten into the characters yet, some of whom are a bit too. As in “too good”, “too mean”. In some ways, this book reminded me a bit of “Gone With The Wind” – another great story, with some flaws, but a great story nevertheless.

There is a very long, very tense well-done section toward the end of the book. An excellent court room drama that spans about two months. My only criticism of those chapters is that a central character seems to disappear unaccountably for most of the period. Post climax, there is a quick summary of the next 30 years or so that I thought was unnecessary and a bit overdone (hankie material). But that was the author’s choice and I can live with it.

This is a debut novel. I enjoyed the story very much and find Delia Owen’s background very interesting – a great fit for this story. I am hopeful of more from Ms Owen. Given the success of “Where the Crawdads Sing” I think it will be a great challenge for her to write something that will meet reader’s expectations. ( )
  maneekuhi | Apr 23, 2019 |
Well written, a bit obvious. ( )
  sberson | Apr 22, 2019 |
This book is worth all the praise it gets. It’s a book that really does paint pictures in the mind of the reader as it is being read. I am a sucker for well-written southern fiction, and this story is a hum-dinger. ( )
  brangwinn | Apr 18, 2019 |
In the marshlands of North Carolina a little girl, named Kya, watches her mother walk away from their run down shack of a house. She thinks she will be back. Then her brother leaves as well, leaving her to try and make a life skirting the drunken abuses of her war disabled dad. "Over the next few days, Kya learned from the mistakes of the others, and perhaps more from the minnows, how to live with him. Just keep out of the way, don’t let him see you, dart from sunspots to shadows."
Soon enough he disappears also and she grows up on her own, known as the Marsh Girl to the townspeople. Their are a few people who help her, including a boy who teaches her how to read and a black family who provide clothes and advice.
Another thread in the novel is the death of a rich town football hero who at one time also befriended Kya and wound up using her. When Kya is suspected, it seems to confirm all the prejudices that the wealthy town felt about the wild child that grew up dirty and uneducated. Kya though is smarter than they think.
Ms. Brown seems to have used her expertise in nature writing to nicely describe this unique area of land, for example, "The red spot on a herring gull’s bill, Kya knew, was more than decoration. Only when the chicks pecked at the spot with their bills would the parent release the captured food for them. If the red spot was obscured so that the chicks didn’t tap it, the parent wouldn’t feed them and they would die. Even in nature, parenthood is a thinner line than one might think."
Though the scenes of what Kya learns from nature are interesting, this is mostly a plot oriented novel complete with courtroom drama. I can see why it is a popular novel, but the writing didn't do much for me. I'm sure it will be a movie soon. ( )
  novelcommentary | Apr 15, 2019 |
Wow, what a story. I didn’t want it to end. Normally i don’t like romantic books but about Kya I could read and read and read. Just great character and I like her a lot. I hope this author will write more novel books in the future. ( )
1 vote futrzak13 | Apr 14, 2019 |

I knowed ya
I loved ya,
Forever.
Marsh is not swamp.
Crows can't keep secrets any better than mud; once they see something curious in the forest they have to tell everybody.
"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot."

For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life - until the unthinkable happens.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,219,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible