Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Where the Crawdads Sing (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Delia Owens (Author)

For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. She's barefoot and wild; unfit for polite society. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark. But Kya is not what they say. Abandoned at age ten, she has survived on her own in the marsh that she calls home. A born naturalist with just one day of school, she takes life lessons from the land, learning from the false signals of fireflies the real way of this world. But while she could have lived in solitude forever, the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. Drawn to two young men from town, who are each intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new and startling world -- until the unthinkable happens.… (more)
Member:SheLovesMaisie
Title:Where the Crawdads Sing
Authors:Delia Owens (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2018), Edition: Later Printing, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Hardcover
Rating:****1/2
Tags:DDC800 Literature, DDC813 Literature-American Literature-American Fiction, JPK&S Book Club, 2019, debut novel

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (2018)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though much about these novels is dissimilar, both offer a historical Southern setting and a farcical trial that illuminates the small-minded nature of a town's inhabitants. Both atmospheric novels also feature young female protagonists who come of age under challenging circumstances.… (more)
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (kristenl)
    The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (SubrbnMom)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (gypsysmom)
    The Great Alone: A Novel by Kristin Hannah (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Girls come of age in the wilderness.
    The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel (kristenl)
    Let's No One Get Hurt by Jon Pineda (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both coming of age stories are character driven and center on young women living on the outskirts of society. Vivid imagery of locales in the southern United States feature prominently.
    A Drop in the Ocean: A Novel by Jenni Ogden (rainpebble)

English (161)  Dutch (1)  All languages (162)
I finished this riveting mystery last night, and it kept me on the edge of my chair until the last sentence! Packed with one surprise after another, this first novel is easily a masterpiece of magnificent proportions, from the characters to the moody setting to the masterly plotted story. Where the Crawdads Sing is destined to stay with its many readers for a long, long time. I wonder how Delia Owens is going to surpass this. ( )
  tluneau | Oct 14, 2019 |
Vivid scenes and a story based on a young girl who is generally abandoned, but seeks companionship from the natural world around her as well as the ultimately need for human companionship. Her inner dialogue connected me to her spirit and I cheered her along her journey. I seldom give 5 stars but will with this one because I want to read it again to soak in the nuances of Kya's journey with some of the natural descriptions as well as the poetry. I almost gave it 4 stars because I was not completely convinced of the premise of the story that an adolescent could be so independent and questions about some of the characters not necessarily answered. The ending sealed my rating. ( )
  kglattstein | Oct 9, 2019 |
Loved this story. Well written. ( )
  DPLyle | Oct 9, 2019 |
Nothing prepared me for this beautiful story. I was skeptical to say the least. Books with great hype I tend to veer from. The descriptive writing of the marsh lands became like poetry. I did not find a lull as a few others mentioned maybe because I was reading so intently as the story unfolded. Kya's desperation and loneliness seeped thru the pages but so did all the beautiful traits that made up the Marsh Girl. A story with a few twist and a "Oh my ending". I read in less than 48 hours even getting up 2 hours earlier before work to hold on to Kya's world. ( )
  BONS | Oct 4, 2019 |
Starts pretty strong, but then hits a long lull in the middle. During that lull I read another book that mentioned Pippi Longstocking, and once I had her in my head, this book just became a rather silly and dark retelling of that children's classic. Very dark, mind you, with domestic violence, murder, and sexual assault, but Pippi all the same with the unconventional orphan, odd house, menagerie of animals, a pile of cash, and a couple (bangable) neighbor kids.

Did Pippi also have a long, dull courtroom scene?

And while the ending is earned and makes sense, it just taints the whole book for me. ( )
  villemezbrown | Oct 2, 2019 |

I knowed ya
I loved ya,
Forever.
Marsh is not swamp.
Crows can't keep secrets any better than mud; once they see something curious in the forest they have to tell everybody.
"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot."

For years, rumors of the Marsh Girl have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life - until the unthinkable happens.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,798,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible