Where the Crawdads Sing Deluxe Edition by…

Where the Crawdads Sing Deluxe Edition (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Delia Owens (Author)

For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. She's barefoot and wild; unfit for polite society. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark. But Kya is not what they say. Abandoned at age ten, she has survived on her own in the marsh that she calls home. A born naturalist with just one day of school, she takes life lessons from the land, learning from the false signals of fireflies the real way of this world. But while she could have lived in solitude forever, the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. Drawn to two young men from town, who are each intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new and startling world -- until the unthinkable happens.… (more)
Member:MMKY
Title:Where the Crawdads Sing Deluxe Edition
Authors:Delia Owens (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2019), Edition: Deluxe, 384 pages
Tags:to-read

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (2018)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though much about these novels is dissimilar, both offer a historical Southern setting and a farcical trial that illuminates the small-minded nature of a town's inhabitants. Both atmospheric novels also feature young female protagonists who come of age under challenging circumstances.… (more)
    The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (SubrbnMom)
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (kristenl)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (gypsysmom)
    The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Girls come of age in the wilderness.
    Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: A book of a young girl's survival in a dysfunctional family in North Carolina.
    The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel (kristenl)
    Let's No One Get Hurt by Jon Pineda (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both coming of age stories are character driven and center on young women living on the outskirts of society. Vivid imagery of locales in the southern United States feature prominently.
    My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent (shaunie)
    shaunie: Both have a girl growing up in unusual, deprived circumstances at the centre of the story. My Absolute Darling, whilst flawed, is far better written.
    Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (WendyRobyn)
    WendyRobyn: Strong presence of nature and nature sciences, small town USA, romantic interest between protagonist and sensitive, educated man
    A Drop in the Ocean: A Novel by Jenni Ogden (rainpebble)

English (309)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (316)
An abandoned girl. A town who judged. A boy who loved. So many characters will pull you and grab you. You cannot help but fall in love with Kya, feel her pain, her loneliness, her rise above every obstacle life throws her way. An emotional story through and through! ( )
  Nora_Max | Sep 26, 2020 |
At 6, Kya watches her mother walk down the sandy lane of their home in the marshes, never to return. Later she learns about domestic abuse. Later her brothers and sisters go too, and then her father and she is left to survive alone.. The Marsh Girl is reclusive but befriends a young boy who teaches her to read and shares her love of the marshes and its creatures.
The story is sad and happy. A murder mystery.There is some beautiful writing and some overly wordy sections. After the slowness of the marshes i thought the ending rushed. Actually I didnt want to know the ending. ( )
  TheWasp | Sep 22, 2020 |
This did not have enticing beginning. It starts with a prologue and poetry and description and other crud. Not something happening or an intriguing event. It didn’t pull me in.

But I kept reading and I’m glad I did. This is a story about a woman raising herself in nature. (And almost by nature.) She’s one of those white trash families in the bayou: alcoholic father, living in a shack in a swamp, hillbilly, thick accent, tobacco-chawin’ types that has too many kids, like “Cletus” in The Simpsons. But this one’s played straight. Very straight. Basically her whole family abandons her by the age of ten and somehow she manages to survive.

At its core, it’s a coming-of-age book set in the deep south with the climax being a court trial. (Why do I keep finding these “To Kill a Mockingbird” remixes?) It takes place in two time periods. About 75% of the content is a survival story (a little reminiscent of “Island of the Blue Dolphins”) about how she managed to live alone in the swamp as a ten-year-old and not go crazy or starve to death. (Along with life and love and bullies and other things that come with growing up in 1952.) The other quarter is a murder-mystery trial taking place in the present (which for them is 1969).

Two big things stood out to me. One was the poetic descriptions. You really get a feel for how Kya embraces nature. She lives in it, soaks in it, it becomes her and she becomes it. She lives there so long she is symbiotic to nature. Very focused on the beauty and power of nature. If you like poetry, you’ll like this part.

But when it comes to any plot elements that involve anyone other than Kya and the marsh, it drops into cliches. There’s the teenage bully, the truant officer, the football quarterback. Classism, racism, and sexist asshole redneck archetypes. Anyone other than Kya sounds like a video I watched in health class.

It’s not my favorite book, but it’s a great book. It’s not for everyone, but this thing’s been on the NYT Bestseller list for years now. It’s got nearly a million ratings on GoodReads. So go read the reviews by people who can write them better than me. ( )
  theWallflower | Sep 18, 2020 |
While reading this book, I loved it - well-written, great story. But later a friend pointed out that things worked out just too well. And now I think it all was too good to be true, despite the harrowing parts of the saga. ( )
  Diane-bpcb | Sep 17, 2020 |
Rounding up for 4.5 stars. The dialogue is the only thing I don't like about this book. The storytelling and character development are amaze, beautifully descriptive. ( )
  mmsmcetc | Sep 17, 2020 |

I knowed ya
I loved ya,
Forever.
Marsh is not swamp.
Crows can't keep secrets any better than mud; once they see something curious in the forest they have to tell everybody.
"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot."

For years, rumors of the Marsh Girl have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life - until the unthinkable happens.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,796,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible