dismiss

Limetown by Cote Smith
From the creators of the #1 podcast Limetown, an explosive prequel about a teenager who learns of a mysterious research facility where over three hundred people have disappeared--including her uncle--with clues that become the key to discovering the secrets of this strange town. On a seemingly ordinary day, seventeen-year-old Lia Haddock hears news that will change her life forever: three hundred men, women, and children living at a research facility in Limetown, Tennessee, have disappeared without a trace. Among the missing is Emile Haddock, Lia's uncle. What happened to the people of Limetown? It's all anyone can talk about. Except Lia's parents, who refuse to discuss what might have happened there. They refuse, even, to discuss anything to do with Emile. As a student journalist, Lia begins an investigation that will take her far from her home, discovering clues about Emile's past that lead to a shocking secret--one with unimaginable implications not only for the people of Limetown, but for Lia and her family. The only problem is...she's not the only one looking for answers. Zack Akers and Skip Bronkie are first-rate storytellers, in every medium. Critics called their podcast Limetown "creepy and otherworldly" (The New York Times) and "endlessly fun" (Vox), and their novel goes back to where it all began. Working with Cote Smith, a PEN/Robert W. Bingham Prize Finalist, they've crafted an exhilarating mystery that asks big questions about what we owe to our families and what we owe to ourselves, about loss, discovery, and growth. Threaded throughout is Emile's story--told in these pages for the first time ever.… (more)

it’s a no from me

i’m so disappointed in this lul. i didn’t mind season 2 of the podcast like most people did so i assumed my experience with the book would be the same and i was WRONG. the story is ...? not pointless but i generally didn’t care for most of it. the last 25% of the book opens up plot holes in the podcast and honestly it makes podcast lea look like an IDIOT. the last 10 minutes of the audiobook was just a whirlwind of overcompensating and connections.

i didn’t like this. the history of what leads to limetown was interesting but i didn’t like the way it was told.

unlike the promo from one of the creators on EVERY episode of the podcast, this is NOT essential to the podcast whatsoever. ( )
  readbybrit | Apr 16, 2019 |
I listen to a great number of books - but I also enjoy podcasts. One of the podcasts I have lined up to listen to is Limetown. But - there's a newly released audio book prequel called Limetown, written by the original creators - Cote Smith, Zack Akers and Skip Bronkie. So, I decided to listen to this audiobook first before delving into the podcasts.

From Simon and Schuster:

"From the creators of the #1 podcast Limetown, an explosive prequel about a teenager who learns of a mysterious research facility where over three hundred people have disappeared - including her uncle - with clues that become the key to discovering the secrets of this strange town."

I love stories like this - the unexplained, investigative journalism, conspiracies and more. Teenager Lia Haddock is the lead character. Candice Thaxton reads this characters. She's a favorite narrator of mine. She has such an expressive voice and interprets the books she reads very, very well. Her intonation rises and falls in a unique way.She emphasizes and depicts much with her voice. Her voice is also clear and easy to understand. And her voice matched the mental image I had created. Jacques Roy(another favorite) read the male roles - the missing Emile, Jack and more. He has a lovely measured pace of speaking that draws the listener in. He captures scenes of emotion and action with that same lower tone, but with urgency. Again, he's easy to understand and pleasant to listen to.

Listen carefully - the plot is fairly intricate and moves from present to past until the two catch up with each other. I was immediately drawn into the story. With this background, I'm looking forward to starting the podcast. ( )
  Twink | Dec 28, 2018 |
Turgid prose. Apparently, the ability to create a compelling podcast doesn’t translate into writing a novel. ( )
  hairball | Dec 24, 2018 |
LIMETOWN, by Cote Smith, follows Lia and her Uncle Emile as the both search for the truth and the purpose of Limetown. A facility clouded in mystery as to it's true purpose, Limetown is where Emile, whose has psychic gifts, ends up as a young man, and Lia stumbles upon it through some cryptic messages and some not so coincidental clues. Their unique bond becomes clear and their purposes become intertwined, but the real question is, to what end?
Lia and Emile's struggles to find themselves mirrors how many us struggle with who we are and who we want to be. As far as the plot, Smith slowly doles out morsels of knowledge, creating a near constant yearning for the reader to wonder what else they don't know. The progression of the story needlessly slowed down at times, but never did I find myself losing my desire to find out what was really going on at Limetown and what did happend to Emile and what will happen to Lia. Also, there we several minor characters I wished were either better deveoped or just left out completely; it was like a tease to meet them but not get to know them. Once finished with the novel, I was left pondering what will happen to Lia, Emile, and those around them and hoping their story continues.
Entertaining and thought-provoking from beginning to end, I found LIMETOWN to be a book not just about these characters, but it said something about family, sacrifice, and love.
Thank you to Simon & Schuster, Cote Smith, and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest opinion! ( )
  EHoward29 | Nov 3, 2018 |
This was an amazing listen/podcast. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 27, 2018 |

Cote Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Akers, Zackmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronkie, Skipmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) prequel to

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,600,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible