SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly…

Pictures of Hollis Woods (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Patricia Reilly Giff (Author)

A troublesome twelve-year-old orphan, staying with an elderly artist who needs her, remembers the only other time she was happy in a foster home, with a family that truly seemed to care about her.
Member:CarlsonLibrary
Title:Pictures of Hollis Woods
Authors:Patricia Reilly Giff (Author)
Info:Yearling (2004), Edition: DGS REP, 176 pages

Work Information

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff (2002)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (rbtanger)
    The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson (Anonymous user)
    Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: Although Ellen Foster was written with an adult audience in mind and Pictures of Hollis Woods was written for YA, the two books share a common theme as well as being beautifully written. The joy of Hope is central to both.
    Another Place at the Table by Kathy Harrison (meggyweg)
    My Louisiana Sky by Kimberly Willis Holt (meggyweg)
    Returnable Girl by Pamela Lowell (meggyweg)

A troubled 12-year-old orphan stays with an elderly artist who needs her.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 27, 2021 |
Patricia Reilly Giff is one of my favorite middle grade authors. She is able to bring the past alive with engaging characters and fascinating stories. I find her very engaging and I thoroughly enjoy all her books. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I picked this one up at a local used book store for less than $2. I hadn't watched the movie, though I do plan to now, and was curious as to how they made a film from such a short book (probably a one day read or shorter.) I was completely surprised by how much emotion and substance the author has packed into what appears at first glance to be a pre-teen book. It definitely still qualifies as being for teens, even young teens, but is an excellent book for any age. The story follows an orphan, Hollis Woods, as she moves into a new foster home under the care of an eccentric artist who is quickly becoming lost in the effects of dementia. Hollis frequently looks back on her past experiences in foster homes, many of which she ran away from, including the only foster family where she felt like she belonged. I loved her care and loyalty to Josie Cahill. I think it shows that even those children the system deems as troubled and perhaps not worth their time, are really just lost children needing to find their place of belonging. This is one book I'm so glad I picked up. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
A great story! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Oct 27, 2019 |
Voor Alice Tiernan, die vaak in de Delaware-rivier gaat vissen;
en voor Bill Reilly, die altijd met haar meegaat.
For Alice Tiernan, who fishes in the Delaware River. And for Bill Reilly, who fishes with her
This picture has a dollop of peanut butter on one edge, a smear of grape jelly on the other, and X across the whole thing.

Follows the story of a Hollis Woods, who was a foster child and moves around a lot. She leaves a place she really likes then finds her way back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,369,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible