The Clockmaker's Daughter: A Novel by Kate…

The Clockmaker's Daughter: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Kate Morton (Author)

"A rich, spellbinding new novel from the author of The Lake House - the story of a love affair and a mysterious murder that cast their shadows across generations, set in England from the 1860's until the present day"--
Member:LittleBookishInkblot
Title:The Clockmaker's Daughter: A Novel
Authors:Kate Morton (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2018), 496 pages
Collections:Bookstore Finds
Tags:lbi-shelf

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton

English (82)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (86)
You know those kinds of stories that are made up of a bunch of different smaller stories connected by a few details that bring everything together in one larger story? I love those stories. This is a prime example of that.

In The Clockmaker’s Daughter, the threads that tie everything together are an old house in England and a mystery surrounding a fatal incident that took place there in 1862. A century and a half later, the mystery begins to unravel as we uncover pieces of the puzzle one by one, tracing the story through history as it is told by the characters who played a part in its unfolding.

One woman dead, and another missing; a priceless heirloom and a special painting disappeared; and the questions hovering over everything: what really happened that day? And who is the clockmaker’s daughter?

This was the first Kate Morton book I’ve read, and I plan to read more! ( )
  vvbooklady | May 12, 2021 |

This book just didn't work for me. It felt too disjointed. There were perspectives that got more development then they needed, leaving me wanting something that wouldn't even be relevant to the story and there were underdeveloped perspectives that had a lot to do with the main plot that could have benefitted from some more page time. I think in the end she was trying too hard to make this feel like one of her older works when it was really something different and should have been treated as such. The author has found something that works for her, and that I really enjoyed, and I wouldn't be opposed to her trying something new, but I don't think adding unnecessary subplots and characters just to give it the Morton "feel" is the right way to go about it. If Elodie's perspective had been a prologue/epilogue type thing, Lucy's getting more page time and more relevance and Birdie's being a bit more everywhere and a bit more comprehensible in the beginning, this really could have been a gem. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Told as several tales set between 1860s and 2017 with the threads weaving into each other through the setting of a house. Bit confusing at the start of some chapters trying to find who was voice or the focus of the chapter. Well finished with all threads tied off. ( )
  ElizabethCromb | Apr 6, 2021 |
Elodie Winslow loves her job analyzing and cataloging antiquities. When she stumbles across an old, leather satchel with a mysterious photograph of a beautiful woman and the lost journal of an infamous artist she begins to wonder how they are connected to James Stratton...the satchel's owner. As Elodie begins her search for answers, she stumbles upon a mystery with consequences deeper than anyone could have imagined. Who is the mysterious woman in the photograph? Is she the tragic fiancee of artist Edward Radcliffe? What is the secret held in Edward Radcliffe's artist retreat-turned museum Birchwood Manor that holds the key to the mysterious woman, the tragic artist, his lost fiancee, a missing jewel, and a history of tragedy?

This was a fantastic book and I had no doubt it would be since it was by Kate Morton! I have loved all the previous novels I have read by her and this was no exception. ( )
  chrirob | Mar 23, 2021 |
Like a gohthic novel. ( )
  rolnickj | Dec 17, 2020 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Froggatt, JoanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Didee, weil sie eine von den Müttern ist, die uns ein Leben auf dem Gipfel des Berges hat führen lassen, und weil sie mir den besten Rat für das Schreeben gegeben hat, den ich je bekommen habe.

To Didee, for being the sort of mother who took us to live on a mountaintop and for giving me the best piece of writing advice I've ever received.
Wir waren auch Birchwood Manor gekommen, weil Edward gesagt hast, dort spuke es.

We came to Birchwood Manor because Edward said that it was haunted.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,201,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible