Skyward: The First Skyward Novel by Brandon…

Skyward: The First Skyward Novel (edition 2019)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

Series: Skyward (1)

Spensa's world has been under attack for hundreds of years. An alien race called the Krell leads onslaught after onslaught from the sky in a never-ending campaign to destroy humankind. Humanity's only defense is to take to their ships and fight the enemy in the skies. Pilots have become the heroes of what's left of the human race. Spensa has always dreamed of being one of them; of soaring above Earth and proving her bravery. But her fate is intertwined with her father's - a pilot who was killed years ago when he abruptly deserted his team, placing Spensa's chances of attending flight school somewhere between slim and none. No one will let Spensa forget what her father did, but she is still determined to fly. And the Krell just made that a possibility. They've doubled their fleet, making Spensa's world twice as dangerous . . . but their desperation to survive might just take her skyward . . . Praise for Brandon Sanderson's #1 New York Times Bestselling Reckoners series: 'Another win for Sanderson . . . he's simply a brilliant writer' Patrick Rothfuss 'Action-packed' EW.com 'Compelling . . . Sanderson uses plot twists that he teases enough for readers to pick up on to distract from the more dramatic reveals he has in store' AV Club… (more)
Member:caroline_r
Title:Skyward: The First Skyward Novel
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2019), Edition: 01, 528 pages

Work Information

Skyward by Brandon Sanderson

Another enjoyable series from Brandon Sanderson. Had me guessing until the end. Looking forward to more. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
Abandoned at 20%.

I am sorry to say this, but the story did not catch my interest at all. I just found it very plain. ( )
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
This was more and more addictive as the story unfolded. I got this book because I’m in a weird science fiction mood and as I’m not ready for the very heavy part of that genre I thought this was a good start.

The book is about Spensa. She and her colonie liv eon a planted that had nothing but dry land. After attacks from an alien race drove all the people to live under the surface, only the best of the best are selected to be pilots. Pilots who fight for the people and try to keep the aliens away. Spensa’s dream is to become one. There is only one problem, her dad was a pilot in the most important battle in history. In that battle he ran away from his flight mates and he was labeled as a coward. Spensa had to live her whole life with the notion that her father turned his back on everyone. In this book we follow spensa as she tries to navigate flight school and much more.

So as I’m pretty new to science fiction and even Brandon Sanderson I thought it was a good start to begin with a young adult novel by him. The story starts is impressive world building. I think that was the only part that kept me going through the first half of the book to be honest. The reason for it is that the first part did feel a little repetitive after a while. We get to know Spensa and her very unlikeable personality (trust me she has a great character arc), we follow her while she’s in flight school and I have to say that until 50% that was all there was. She took her classes we got to know a little about the flights and that was it. There wasn’t as much action or wow factor for me. Only to be turned around completely in the last half of the book. All of a sudden, the plot was fast paced and things were happening that made it hard for me to put it down. Like I said in the beginning the world building is really good. You read it like you know something is going to happen but you can’t really figure out that it is. Which made the book all that more exciting. The characters were so unlikeable in the beginning, even so much that I almost put the book down and had a thought of dnf’ing it. I’m really glad I didn’t do that as I would have missed the start of an amazing series I think. The writing is very simple in a way that it’s really easy to follow what it going on. Usually in fights or heavy action scenes you have no idea what the f is happening. Sanderson makes it easy to follow how things work and look, which is really helpful with all the air battles.

If you’re looking for a introduction into sci-fy, look no further. You got a great series to look forward to.
  luclicious | Sep 20, 2021 |
Winter 2020 (Dec);

Where do I even start?

This was the third series by Sanderson that I've read, and I had just finished [b:Edgedancer|34703445|Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)|Brandon Sanderson|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1499706661l/34703445._SY75_.jpg|54097500] & just gotten seriously into beginning [b:Oathbringer|34002132|Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)|Brandon Sanderson|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1507307833l/34002132._SY75_.jpg|23840254], when I realized the new book club book for my city library was none other than this. As I said, I'd read one other series, unlisted, which was that I had read all but the last book of The Reckoners' series, so I was no novice to what to expect from Sanderson's forrays into young adult literature, as well as his main series.

But I don't think I ever could have been prepared for taking Sanderson's brilliant ability to characterize and plot lengthy arcs and matched it with my true, deep abiding love for science fiction. This is regarded as Sanderson's first real attempt at sci-fi, and he absolutely knocks it out of the water.

I was absolutely captivated by the main character and the world around her, both figuratively and literally. I love Spensa's sharpened down hunger and refusal to let the world get between her and the stars, and putting her father's legacy to rights. I fell in love with so many of the characters along the way (especially Jerkface and Skyward Flight, but also her teacher, her grandmother, her best friend, and, of course, M-Bot and Doom Slug). I love the undercurrent battle between pride and passion and survival taking place inside several of our characters, which are just important as the fights taking place in the sky.

Everyone is so fleshed out, and rather like I've started to come to expect from Sanderson's writing/arcing, he defies the expectations of what you think can't be changed or turned upside down any further than it already was. I'm so so so pleased, and I jumped straight from this book into [b:Starsight|42769202|Starsight (Skyward, #2)|Brandon Sanderson|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1569876576l/42769202._SY75_.jpg|66521196] the next day, so give me a few seconds, and I'll be diving right into that one as well. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
I imagined those broken rocks as the broken bodies of my enemies, their bones shattered, their trembling arms reaching upward in a useless gesture of total and complete defeat. I was a very odd little girl.

Spensa (Spin) is an odd girl in an odd world. Humanity is trapped on an alien planet for reasons (initially) unknown. The sky is filled with rubble and debris that occasionally rains down on them and from time to time aliens come down and try to kill them. Spin's father is a pilot, trying to protect them, but he dies early in the book (before a timeskip), called a coward--seemingly one of the worst things you can call someone in this world.

It's fascinating world building, a hallmark of Sanderson. Well done that.

So of course Spin has to make it into pilot training, to prove to everyone that she can fight--and hopefully to prove that the stories about her father can't possibly be true. It's a 'magical school' type book, grounded in SciFi, reminiscent of Ender's Game among others. Only far more brutal. As her classmates drop or are pulled by rich parents left and right, you get a feeling for just how desperate the world is. And yet, there's a sense of wonder to being a pilot to share with Spin:

We watched the debris fall, burning light reflecting against my canopy.

“So…,” I said. “You’re saying that by the end of our training, you expect us to be able to use grappling hooks made of energy to smash our enemies with flaming chunks of space debris?”

“Yes.”
“That…,” I whispered, “that’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.”

The last neat bit comes across with the discovery of an old but technically advanced crashed starship with an AI that gives it a wonderful personality all its own. Like those 'teen outcast finds a dragon and raises it in hiding' gone scifi. Well done that. Well done.

If there was absolutely anything negative to say about the story... it's that only 1 of the planned 4 books is out so far! Book 2 is due out this fall, but 3 and 4 not for a few years. And that's only because Sanderson has to finish his 10 book doorstopper fantasy Epics, the second trilogy of a 4 arc fantasy epic across time, and all the other projects he's still working on.

Sanderson, you are a wonderful mad genius... and you've done it again.

Give it a try. I don't think you'll regret it. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

For Karen Ahlstrom,
who counts all the
days I forget
Only fools climbed to the surface.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,534,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible