Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dearly Devoted Dexter (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Jeff Lindsay (Author)

Series: Dexter (2)

Life's tough for Dexter Morgan. It's not easy being the world's only serial killer with a conscience, especially when you work for the Miami police. To avoid suspicion, Dexter's had to slip deep into his disguise: spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world's first serial killing couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami -- a killer whose twisted techniques leave even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to do come out of hiding and hunt the monster down. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first ...… (more)
Member:Junction216
Title:Dearly Devoted Dexter
Authors:Jeff Lindsay (Author)
Info:Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (2006), 292 pages

Work Information

Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (2005)

The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: In every way a better book than any Dexter novel. Excellent villain and a more compelling story. This man can write.

English (100)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (102)
After the death of LaGuerta in Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dexter finds himself in a different role - the hunted rather than the hunter. Dead on his trails is Sergeant Doakes, whose suspicion of our Dark Defender is now ten-fold. Having to give up his dark duties, Dexter assumes the role of doting boyfriend as he puts on a show for Doakes' amusement. All the while, he bides his time for the moment Doakes is out of his life so he can resume his work on the second half of a murderous pedophile duo.

Opportunity knocks when Dr. Danco comes to town - a madman seeking revenge for a betrayal that happened years ago in El Salvador. Along with a love interest for Deborah by the name of Kyle Chutsky - who served on Special Forces with Doakes and Dr. Danco - Dexter is pushed into working with the very man who'd rather see him dead or behind bars. How can Dexter play Doakes into becoming Dr. Danco's next victim?

While the pace from the first novel seemed quick, with little time to enjoy what was going on, the second book seemed better paced, despite being of similar length. It seemed Jeff Lindsay learned how to create more developed secondary characters rather than the two-dimensional ones featured in the first book. Not to mention the dialogue improved, as well. Though, if the third book starts off with Dexter hunting a child-murderer, I'm going to assume that his creativity on the first kills is limited.

The only disagreeable aspect featured in both novels so far is Dexter's inability to kill the main bad guy. In Darkly Dreaming Dexter, he let's his murderous brother get away; in Dearly Devoted Dexter, Dr. Danco - spoiler alert! - is gun down by Deborah. Once again, I think the series has spoiled my ability to allow Dexter to do these things. But isn't that, essentially, who he is? The guy who takes out the bad guys? ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
I've read some comments saying that Jeff Lindsay is not good at the thriller aspect of his books. I would agree that Lindsay's strength is probably character rather than plot. However, I enjoy the character of Dexter so much, that I didn't mind if parts of the plot weren't that strong. I love Dexter's voice and the humor of it. He has a way of saying things that the rest of us may think but may never say out loud. I will definitely keep reading the rest of this series. ( )
  marymatus | Jan 12, 2022 |
I quit. Not captivating enough. Doesn't mean it's not good, it's just not good for me NOW, if you know what I mean...
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
Em Querido e devotado Dexter, um novo assassino em série assusta as ruas de Miami tanto pela técnica quanto por sua ousadia. Perturbado, Dexter se vê obrigado a deixar o disfarce de bom moço de lado para percorrer um caminho instigante, no qual por vezes se confundem caça e caçador.
  Joao_Bosco | Oct 18, 2020 |
Is it wrong to love Dexter... the serial killer with the heart of gold? ( )
  Carole0220 | Mar 21, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Dexter (2)
For Tommie and Gus, who have certainly waited long enough.
It's that moon again, slung so fat and low in the tropical night, calling out across a curdled sky and into the quivering ears of that dear old voice in the shadows, the Dark Passenger, nestled snug in the backseat of the Dodge K-car of Dexter's hypothetical soul.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,905,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible