Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum

Bourne Supremacy (original 1986; edition 2004)

by Robert Ludlum

Series: Jason Bourne (02)

Super-diplomat Raymond Havilland sets up the kidnapping of Jason Bourne's wife, in order to draw Bourne out of retirement and into a Taiwanese plot to seize Hong Kong and incite China against the West.
Member:Catherine_Connors
Title:Bourne Supremacy
Authors:Robert Ludlum
Info:ORION, 2004

The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum (1986)

Recently added byRennie80, apeagan, GeigerLibrary, Siki10, private library, ChrisMManno1974

English (37)  Dutch (5)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
Married now to Marie St. Jacques, David Webb is being drawn in to another maelstrom covert government project. This one devised by Ambassador without portfolio, Raymond Haviland and National Security Council member, John (Jack) Reilly. The two of them entice diplomat, Edward McAllister to assist and swear him to utmost secrecy. The Jason Bourne myth has been revised by an evil and ambitious Chinese minister of state, Sheng Ghou Yang who intends to take over Hong Kong and who has used an assassin posing as Bourne to take out those highly placed who do or might oppose him.
Haviland and Reilly proposes: "An imposter is posing as the myth, but if the original myth takes out the imposter, he's in the position to reach Sheng." They device a diabolical plan which McAllister, against his better nature, puts into effect using the apparent bloody abduction of Marie to trigger David's alter-ego.
Marie tries to inform David during a call allowed by the abductors with a coded response: "my favorite tree". David in his alter-ego self does not attempt to decode but later, after Marie manages to escape with the help of Catherine Staples of the Canadian consulate, McAllister does, putting the G-men hot on her trail.
Jason, meanwhile, though warned explicitly not to, extends his chase from Hong Kong to Macao then to Mainland China. He has joined with Philippe d'Anjou, Medusa agent Echo. D'Anjou has "created" the neo-Bourne by transferring his Medusa skills and attitudes, but, d'Anjou was not able to control him and now the assassin is free-lancing. While dAnjou and Bourne are hot on the trail of the assassin, Marie has faced her own terrors. Again she has been sexually assaulted. This time David can not come to her aid. She fights her assailants valiantly and when nearly overcome is rescued by residents ashamed by the criminality of the local youths.
This brings us to the half-way mark of the novel. The reader can anticipate another half of thrilling action by both David and Marie, an outrageous scene in Tian An Men Square, wild changes in plot and a surprising denouement.
  RonWelton | Jul 9, 2021 |
Ludlum is such an awesome story teller! ( )
  n9kju | Feb 18, 2021 |
For me, this book was a lot better than the first. I really enjoyed it and only needed the marker for one line this time. Still a lot of swearing. ( )
  mcsp | Jan 25, 2021 |
I enjoyed it, but it was definitely not what I would call a "page-turner". Ludlum's got nothing on John Grisham or Vince Flynn in that regard. The story seemed to be a little slow to start with, but it did pick up about halfway through. In a nutshell - the novel has absolutely nothing in common with the film other than the character of David Webb (Or Jason Bourne, depending on what name you wish to call him by). Marie is killed in the opening scene of the film, but she is a major character in the novel. Conklin is alive in the book, while he is very much dead in the film. Go figure. At any rate, I hesitantly recommend the novel, as it is an enjoyable read, even if the pacing is a little off at times. I now move on to The Bourne Ultimatum, hoping that I will not be cursing myself (& Ludlum) in short order. On Amazon.com the general consensus is that the third book is a piece of crap. The anal-retentive completionist in me says I must see for myself :) ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
Not quite as good as books one and three (identity and ultimatum), but still good. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |

Laine, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shannon Paige Ludlum
Welcome, my dear
Have a great life
Kowloon. The teeming final extension of China that is no part of the north except in spirit-but the spirit runs deep and descends into the caverns of men's souls without regard for the harsh, irrelevant practicalities of political borders.
ISBN 8817113689 is for Doppio inganno; original title The Bourne Supremacy

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,405,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible