Left: A Love Story by Mary Hogan

Left: A Love Story (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Mary Hogan (Author)

"It started as a dream vacation in Spain, with Fay and Paul Agarra enjoying all the delights of a European holiday. A respected New York City judge, Paul has always been the man Fay can rely on no matter what. When he inexplicably disappears from a Granada street corner, Fay knows something is terribly wrong. Once they are reunited, Paul shrugs off the episode as a simple misunderstanding -- but Fay suspects her almost perfect life has taken a dark and sudden turn. Soon there are more signs that Paul is beginning to change. Bouts of forgetfulness lead to mistakes in the courtroom. Simple tasks cause unexplainable outbursts of anger. Fay's worst suspicions are realized when she learns her husband -- her rock, her love, her everything -- is succumbing to the ravages of dementia. As her husband transforms before her very eyes, Fay copes with her fears by retreating into a fantasy life filled with promise instead of pain. In Fay's invented world, she imagines herself living a glamorous life free from heartache, with a handsome neighbor she barely knows rescuing her from a fate she can't accept." --… (more)
Member:aburger222
Title:Left: A Love Story
Authors:Mary Hogan (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2018), 256 pages
Rating:***

Left: A Love Story by Mary Hogan (2018)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It could have kept it going a little better. It took me a long time to read this book. I read about half of it and set it down for a year before I finished it yesterday. But it was a nice story and am glad I finally finished it. ( )
  aburger222 | Dec 2, 2019 |
Story of a younger wife and her older husband of 20+ years who develops dementia. Very nicely written. ( )
  LivelyLady | May 22, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fay and Paul have had an intriguing marriage, with both physical and intellectual compatibility. A trip to Spain, that initially delights, brings fear and a sense of foreboding when Fay realizes the very astute, Paul , a Judge, a man of the world, is slipping away into the beginnings of dementia. Her life begins to exist in both its realistic challenges and in her own daydream fantasies of a parallel life. There were very sincere moments here, believable relationships, and a plot that held interest. ( )
  plumcover3 | Nov 5, 2018 |
A wife’s journey as her husband begins to leave her. But not in the way you think. Very well written and very touching. The author’s first hand real life witnessing of this is evidenced by her accurate writing. My only question is who would be the target audience? ( )
  LivelyLady | Sep 21, 2018 |
3.5 He was much younger than her, a respected state supreme Court judge, already married once with a son. He was kind, funny, smart, and from the moment Faye saw Paul, they clicked, married. Now after many years of a successful marriage, Paul surprises her with a trip to Spain. At first things go marvelously, but then she begins to notice little things, and then something major happens.

There is such a realistic feel to this book, a honesty that is compelling and heartbreaking. Watching someone you love, leave you unwillingly in body and mind. Caregiving such a demand on the spirit, the emotional toll on the person. Family who try to help but don't understand, and then a granddaughter and a caretaker who have words of wisdom, much needed.

The author has watched someone she loves struggle with Alzheimers, and does a wonderful job here conveying the emotional and physical struggle on all involved. A difficult book to read, but one that provides an important insight into this horrific condition. ( )
  Beamis12 | Aug 2, 2018 |
Very well written! I liked this book. It kept me interested. I'm glad I read this book.
added by aburger222 | editLeft, Ashlee (Dec 2, 2019)

"the past beats inside me like a second heart."
JOHN BANVILLE, THE SEA
To my dad
Edward Arthur Barbera
1924-2012
I never meant for it to happen.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Hogan's book Left: A Love Story was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,160,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible