Sound of Distant Thunder (The Amish of…

Sound of Distant Thunder (The Amish of Weaver's Creek) (edition 2018)

by Jan Drexler (Author)

Member:CafinatedReads
Title:Sound of Distant Thunder (The Amish of Weaver's Creek)
Authors:Jan Drexler (Author)
Info:Revell (2018), 352 pages
Collections:2018 Reads, Christian Fiction, Your library, Amish Fiction Novels, LibraryThingWins

The Sound of Distant Thunder (The Amish of Weaver's Creek) by Jan Drexler

An old-order Amish community, making every effort to keep itself separate from the world, finds it cannot escape the distant rumblings of war. We view the Weaver’s Creek community mostly through the eyes of young Katie and Jonas, who hope to wed but are slowed by their youth and the worldly changes that intrude even upon those who would ignore them.

War is such a divisive subject in any era. In the United States, the Civil War was arguably one of our most contentious as it divided friends and families and our nation itself. Then add to that, the idea of an Amish man considering joining ranks of the volunteers, and the incredibility of the situation just skyrockets. Indeed, the Amish of Weaver’s Creek believe they can look the other way until conscription begins...and names on the list include Englischers and Amish alike.

What didn’t I like about the book? It made me think. I couldn’t find any easy answers. I wanted to vilify one character (and his choices) or the other. The black and white lines blurred into gray and blue... and red. Red for loss of life, loss of a way of life, loss of innocence and standing apart from the world.

A wise quote for today: “Labeling folks with ideas different from your own as “them” and calling yourself “us” is the surest way to create division.” Hm... I do believe many, many groups today could profit from this bit of wisdom.

What a heart-warming, yet heart-wrenching family-centered novel about one of the darkest times in our nation’s history.

I gratefully received a complimentary copy of this book from the author and the publisher. This in no way affects my opinions, for which I am solely responsible. I was not required to leave a positive review. ( )
  Becky_L | Oct 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A wonderful, fast read and well written. Jan Drexler has captured this reader once again with her fantastic writing style and her lovable characters. Highly recommended and 4 stars! ( )
  CafinatedReads | Oct 11, 2018 |
I think this is the first book that I have read that talks about the Amish during the Civil War. I love how the author handles what each of the family members are feeling during this crisis. I loved Katie and Jonas. It is hard enough for a person that wants to fight but then to add your religious beliefs into the mix can be very trying. I loved how this was all handled. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Oct 9, 2018 |
The Sound of Distant Thunder by Jan Drexler is the first story in The Amish of Weaver’s Creek series. Katie Stuckey is seventeen years old in 1862 and lives with her family on their farm near Millersburg, Ohio. She is ready to marry Jonas Weaver, but her father wants her to wait until she is eighteen. Jonas begins work on their home in his spare time. The Civil War is raging on and Jonas is against slavery. He knows the stance of the church on fighting, but Jonas has yet to be baptized. Conscription is enacted and the names for their county are drawn. Jonas is spared, but his married brother, Samuel is on the list. Samuel has a choice of paying the $200 fee or get a substitute. Samuel does not wish to pay the fee because the funds would go to the war effort nor is he comfortable with having someone go in his place. Jonas takes matters into his own hands and goes in Samuel’s place. He leaves a letter for his family, Katie and his friend, Levi. He asks Levi to keep an eye on Katie for him while he is away. Can Jonas and Katie’s love survive the choice he made and the separation? Join them on their journey in The Sound of Distant Thunder.

The Sound of Distant Thunder takes us back to April of 1862 to an Amish settlement in Ohio. I felt the author captured the time period with the viewpoints of the characters and the description of their everyday lives as well as their homes, clothing, literature, conveyances, and methods of construction. It must have been a difficult time to be a pacifist with the Civil War going on around them. Conscription had them battling their conscience versus their church teachings. Jan Drexler did a wonderful job at capturing the differing thoughts and the inner conflict. I thought The Sound of Distant Thunder was a slow paced story (it plodded along like an old horse). The first half of the book is Jonas and others rehashing the same issues regarding war over and over. Jonas debating if he will stay at home or go off to fight. The pace improves slightly after Jonas goes off to war. Christian views are prevalent throughout the book. Prayer, faith and turning our worries over to God are some of the themes. We get to see how the various Amish settlements had differences and their attempts to find common ground. The Amish in the story are portrayed as hardworking and caring individuals. I did not feel like I was reading the first book in the series. The backstory on the main characters was lacking. I was confused by Katie and her fear. She has a fear that men who are attracted to her will die. It is not fully explained until late in the book. It seemed unreasonable because she was not afraid Jonas would die if they married. Wouldn’t she be afraid to marry the man she loves? The ending was abrupt and felt incomplete. I was left with several unanswered questions. The romance between Katie and Jonas is sweet and heartwarming in the midst of such brutality. I am giving The Sound of Distant Thunder 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 4, 2018 |
I agree with several other readers that this book read like the second book in this series and not the first. Although, I only had a bit of an issue with this factor for a short period in the beginning as I got myself established with the characters and their back stories.

Yet, I liked Katie and Jonas. They did share a nice connection with one another. Jonas had a mature nature about him. While, it des come back to the fact that I did feel like I had missed something with the way this book read like the second one in the series; the characters were engaging.

The second half of the book is better than the first half. The first half was slower to set the story and the mood. Yet, in the second half there was no need to explain anything. Plus, in the second half is where the story really picked up with action. Overall, a good story. ( )
  Cherylk | Oct 3, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jan Drexler's book The Sound of Distant Thunder is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,522,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible