Jake, Lucid Dreamer by David J. Naiman

Jake, Lucid Dreamer (edition 2018)

by David J. Naiman (Author)

721,600,305 (5)None
Member:DavidNaiman
Title:Jake, Lucid Dreamer
Authors:David J. Naiman (Author)
Info:Kwill Books (2018), 136 pages

Jake, Lucid Dreamer by David J. Naiman

bullying (1) epub (1) fiction (1) loss of parent (1) LTMG (1) magical realism (1) MG/YA (1) mobi (1) novel (1) pdf (1) won (1) YA novel (1)

I really enjoyed how this book dealt with death. It does read like a book for younger teens, but it doesn't sugar coat grief for the age group. The dream sequences are a nice way to introduce the targeted demographic to figurative language, larger topic, and themes

The only downside I saw came from the characterization of some of the other (not Jake and the main characters) school students. They sometimes came off as simple stereotypes, and that allows the audience to dismiss them as irrelevant. ( )
  sbgill | Sep 1, 2018 |
This coming-of-age young adult novel is told from the point of view of a twelve- year- old boy, Jake, who is grappling with bullies at school and the loss of his beloved mother through cancer. In order to cope, he seeks out answers through his vivid dream world, ultimately learning how to control his feelings and responses to these difficult challenges.

As the grandmother of several middle-school boys, Jake’s voice and story resonated with me. The scenes, dialogue and characters were realistic and believable and the story is engaging and fast paced. Naiman’s storytelling abilities and crisp writing style held me hostage to the pages. This story has a particular meaning to this reader as one of my grandsons experienced bullying in school and although he has moved on from it, I can attest to the harmful effects it has on a young person’s mind to say nothing of what it does to those who love them. In this regard, I found the story relevant for both the middle school age group and the adults in this person’s life.

A compelling, well-crafted, timely story that addresses relevant topics of loss, healthy boundaries and the challenges of coming–of–age in our current society. In addition to being an entertaining read, I recommend it to middle schoolers, teachers, health care providers and parents. It breaks the silence about two devastating scenarios—death of a parent and bullying in school-- that our young people face. If one child is helped by reading it, it will be worth it. I ordered a copy for my grandson. ( )
  kathleen.pooler | Jun 23, 2018 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

David J. Naiman's book Jake, Lucid Dreamer was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

David J. Naiman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,520,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible