By the Light of Camelot by J. R. Campbell

By the Light of Camelot (edition 2018)

by J. R. Campbell (Author)

Member:JeffV
Title:By the Light of Camelot
Authors:J. R. Campbell (Author)
Info:EDGE Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing (2018), 260 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Arthur, Fantasy

By the Light of Camelot by J. R. Campbell (Editor)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you've ever read Le Mort d' Arthur by Thomas Malory; then the concept of this book will be familiar to you. Just like the numerous stories by Malory that are tangentially connected to Arthur; this is a book of short stories ranging from the period of Arthur to modern times in which the Once and Future King rarely makes even a cameo appearance. Each story in itself is fine...nothing exceptional but there doesn't seem to be a really strong sense of theme in this collection. If you like Malory (and I have the same criticism of the original material) you would probably like this just fine. ( )
  JeffV | Sep 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Okay, I didn't read the introduction and jumped to where a story started. I guess if I had, I might have known that its a collection of short stories. Read the first one and it would be appropriate for a YA book. Need to go and finish the others.

The second story about Boris Bors had a sentence containing Lloyd Center and bikini coffee stands as well as all the Starbucks, so after reading it (good story too!) I checked the author and she is indeed located in Portland! Very cool.
  pnwbookgirl | Aug 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Excellent concept... and very nice collection of stories. They all fit within the overall idea, but each story was unique and different from the others. There was only one story that I did not care for... and 1 out of 13 is pretty good.
I was torn between 4 and 5 stars. These stories need line editing. The content was good, the storylines were consistent, there were only one or two minor POV issues... but there was no story that did not have a spelling error, an apostrophe error, a missing or repeated word, or a formatting error.

This was an Early Reviewer copy, so I've given it 5 stars, with the hope that the publisher gives this one more editing round before actually publishing it. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Aug 8, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This collection of arthurian tales varied incredibly. There were a few poems and tales that took place in modern and ancient times. I enjoyed that the tales gave you some background on lesser known knights of the round table, but not all of them were written as well as others. This became evident from story to story. When I got to the stories that were written well I devoured them, but the other stories just dragged. Over all the book was interesting and some of the tales were pretty fantastic, but be aware that some parts will absolutely drag. ( )
  Eunicakes | Aug 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a very interesting view on Camelot, from some vastly differing points of view. Jane Yolen contributed an wry poem that had me smiling for days afterward while Diane Paxson's evocative tale with its descriptive landscapes and emotions is still affecting me. Each tale added to the history that is Camelot, and together they made for a fabulous way to fill a rainy weekend. ( )
  Nightwing | Aug 5, 2018 |

Wagner, Wendy N.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Watt-Evans, LawrenceContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yolen, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

J. R. Campbell's book By the Light of Camelot is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,991,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible