Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky

Imaginary Friend (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Stephen Chbosky (Author)

Single mother Kate Reese is on the run. Determined to improve life for her and her son, Christopher, she flees an abusive relationship in the middle of the night with Christopher at her side. Together, they find themselves drawn to the tight-knit community of Mill Grove, Pennsylvania. It's as far off the beaten track as they can get. Just one highway in, one highway out. At first, it seems like the perfect place to finally settle down. Then Christopher vanishes. For six awful days, no one can find him. Until Christopher emerges from the woods at the edge of town, unharmed but not unchanged. He returns with a voice in his head only he can hear, with a mission only he can complete: Build a tree house in the woods by Christmas, or his mother and everyone in the town will never be the same again. Soon Kate and Christopher find themselves in the fight of their lives, caught in the middle of a war playing out between good and evil, with their small town as the battleground.… (more)
Member:alicia.becker
Title:Imaginary Friend
Authors:Stephen Chbosky (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2019), 720 pages

Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky (2019)

“Everyone gets an ending. Whether or not it’s happy is up to them.”
― Stephen Chbosky, Imaginary Friend

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.
Kate Reese is on the run with her son Christopher from an abusive relationship. When they settle down in Mill Grove Christopher soon goes missing for 6 days. Then out of nowhere he back and taking about someone he calls the nice man. Now his dyslexia is gone and he is reading advanced books at a fast pace. Hes smart, real smart, and good things keep happening around him, but his nightmares send him to a bad place. A scary place known to him as the imaginary world. Now he says the nice man says that he and his friends need to build a tree house.
So I have seen this book all over goodreads for awhile. When I decided to read it I ordered it from the library and had hundreds of others ahead of me. Went to my library and there it was just sitting on the new releases shelf. So I got super lucky with this one. I'm glad I did though as this was an amazing book. Now it is really long, but believe me the extra time is well worth it. It didn't feel really long when I read it. There was always so much going on in the book that it never felt boring. I didn't find it particularly scary though. It had an edge of your seat quality but not a looking over your shoulder quality. It was a great book and I will be following the author for hopefully more great books to come.
How I choose my rating:
1* Did not finish, or hated it but forced myself to finish.
2** Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other then for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread again ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this again, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this books content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will definitely be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
I'm not 100% sure how I felt about this one. It took me a while to get into for some reason, but eventually it picked up. It's good, but there's so much here that's just straight out of Stephen King. I've read almost all of King's fiction, and Chris and his mother really pinged my King radar. It could have used more aggressive editing to tighten it up.

I enjoyed it, but at the same time I kept wondering why Chbosky felt so compelled to write it. I didn't get a huge sense of originality here.

I felt it would be churlish to downgrade it too far, so I'm rounding up instead of down. ( )
  arosoff | Jul 11, 2021 |
It started off okay but it lost its way halfway through and dragged on far too long. ( )
1 vote lost_in_here | Jun 23, 2021 |
Any novel that exceeds 500 pages — and especially one that tops 750 — faces a high bar in this reader’s mind (sorry, Stephen King). Chbosky’s twist-filled tale is creative, well-written, thought-provoking— but simply too long and occasionally maddeningly repetitive. I’ve said this before about otherwise fine books: “Imaginary Friend” would have benefited from a disciplined editor who consistently reminded the writer that “less is more” in many cases. By the time I reached Chapter 90 and realized there were still a couple hundred pages left, I was tempted to call it quits. There were ample unexpected twists, but it started too feel like a giant roller coaster with one too many peaks and dips. True, the story moved into intriguing territory by Chapter 102 (no spoilers in this critique). But by the time I reached Chapter 129 (yes, 129), I found myself muttering, “God, please let this end.” With fewer pages, fewer characters and fewer chases, “Imaginary Friend” could have been a riveting horror tale. In it’s current bloated form, it’s mediocre at best. ( )
1 vote brianinbuffalo | Apr 11, 2021 |
Not my usual type book but the library recommended it under Horror/Halloween and I thought I'd give it a go.
Didn't love the end, but getting there was interesting. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,274,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible