The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evans

The Smoke Jumper (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Nicholas Evans

Member:vandereyden
Title:The Smoke Jumper
Authors:Nicholas Evans
Info:Bantam Press (2001), Hardcover, 448 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction

The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evans (Author) (2001)

English (19)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (23)
Mixed response. The first section was interesting, because I learned about firefighting and each of the main characters had work they were passionate about. The romantic triangle was obvious, however. The second section was more staid, full of guilt and noble responsibility. The third section, mainly in Africa, was stretching plausibility quite a bit as the characters go through adventure to realize what has true value in their lives, and reunite. I did briefly enjoy the interchange of Connor with the Bantu guide, as it brought back memories of Laurens Van der Post's novels of the bushmen (and which may have been the inspiration for Evans here).
Running the Rift gave a more gut-level knowledge of an intertribal genocidal war in Africa.
Nothing in the book to motivate me to give it shelf space, but I'm not sorry I read it. ( )
  juniperSun | Sep 14, 2017 |
OK... Ammetto che, in parte questa è una storia d'amore e, dato che io proprio non le sopporto avrei dovuto "dare fuoco" al libro non appena mi è finito tra le mani.
Invece, però, mi sono convinta a leggerlo e ho scoperto che ha veramente poco delle storie d'amore che conosciamo tutto e che, dietro alle apparenze si nasconde qualcosa di veramente prezioso.
Ho letto questo libro un'infinità di volte (va beh, non proprio un'infinità ma saranno state almeno cinque o sei...!) e sento nuovamente il bisogno di prenderlo fra le mani e immergermi nuovamente nel mondo di Nicholas Evans, a volte, forse, un po' troppo dolce ma pieno di entusiasmo e di colpi di scena indimenticabili... ;) ( )
  Crissy8686 | Oct 6, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book!!! It is now one of my favorites! This story is so good and heartbreaking and I was sorry to finish it. It's one of those books you read, then start another one and it just doesn't stack up to what you just read. It stays with you long after you've finished it. Would definitely recommend this book! ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Three friends are connected by one summer’s events on a Montana mountain. Ed Tully and Connor Ford are smoke jumpers who both love the same woman. Julia is a social worker who is taking a group of “at risk” teens on a several day hike in the wilderness in an effort to rehabilitate them. When the draught-stricken forest is hit by lightning, the smoke jumpers have to come to the rescue.

You know where this is headed, don’t you? There will be tragedy, lots of guilt, miscommunication, silent (but very meaningful) looks. People behave stupidly and take unnecessary risks … not just with their own lives but with children’s lives. And of course, true love will win out.

Just unbelievable claptrap.

Actually I was pretty interested in the beginning and wish that Evans had found a way to explore the smoke jumpers, and the at-risk kids. But that ends on page 166 and then parts two and three get progressively more soap opera ridiculous. I rolled my eyes so much I made myself dizzy. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
It's been a while since I read this, but I remember being completely turned off by the many implausible turns the plot took. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |

Evans, NicholasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conger, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man may earn his heart's desire
Lest first he brave the smoke and fire.
For Harry, Max and Lauren
The important things in life always happened by accident.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440235162, Mass Market Paperback)

New York born and bred, Julia Bishop has no warning that spending the summer counseling troubled teens in Montana will change her life forever. Happily in love with smoke jumper and musician Ed Tully, she looks forward to spending the summer weekends with him in Missoula and is stunned and disturbed by the instant connection she feels to his best friend, Connor Ford. Connor, a Montana rancher and smoke jumper, loves fighting fires almost as much as he loves photography, and before the summer is barely started, he loves Julia Bishop just as deeply. The bond between the three is strong but the work of a smoke jumper is fraught with danger and the trio soon face death by fire. Survival changes their lives forever and places them on paths that divide Julia, Ed, and Connor just as surely as their individual journeys bind them irrevocably together. The Smoke Jumper is a tale of loyalty and guilt, honor and selfless love, and the human cost of choices made. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

A woman must choose between two men, best friends, who both love her, in a story of love, loyalty, honor, and guilt set against the perilous backdrop of wilderness firefighting.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,761,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible