World's End (The Age of Misrule : Book 1) by…

World's End (The Age of Misrule : Book 1) (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Mark Chadbourn

301937,236 (3.57)8
Member:fussycat
Title:World's End (The Age of Misrule : Book 1)
Authors:Mark Chadbourn
Info:Gollancz (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 557 pages
Rating:*****

World's End by Mark Chadbourn (1999)

Marvelous book I highly recommend for anyone with an interest in Celtic mythology, urban fantasy, or anything in between. If I had to pitch this at Hollywood, I'd say it's The Dresden Files on a Lord of the Rings scale. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer. Title: World's End Series: Age of Misrule Author: Mark Chadbourn Rating: 1 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: Abandoned Synopsis: The Age of Reason and Science is Over. The Pact between the Forces of Light and Dark has fallen and both return to our world to renew their war. The Age of Inimical Forces is upon humanity. A time of Heroes and Villains. My Thoughts: I really wanted to like this. The idea was just awesome. I love a good Apocalypse! However, 2 things really kept me from it. First, Chadbourn's singling out Christianity as the "bad" religion. I'm not denying his examples, but the way it is used is just wrong. Also, Chadbourn makes a very pointed mention of 4 other religions and that they are simply "all connected". It really bordered on the hypocritical and I have no interest in reading an author who is out to bash Christianity. Second, negating the rules of the Universe because "of Magic" is just ridiculous. It also goes against my underlying belief in an ordered universe because God is a God of order. So this was another philosophical difference and a major one to be honest. Magic can work under another set of rules, but negating the rules of science, well, the sun would go out and the earth would shatter. The Rules that govern electricity govern a whole lot more! So a swing and a double miss. If anyone has read further and Chadbourn stops singling Christianity out for his low blows, I'd be interested in continuing but definitely not on my own. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A gripping and fun beginning to a Celtic-apocalypse trilogy (technically, I suppose, a trilogy of trilogies). I'll be making sure that I get the next two books at the very least. The covers of the Pyr edition, done by John Picacio, are especially gorgeous. ( )
  CKmtl | May 23, 2014 |
I LOVED this book!! It's so different than anything else I have read lately. I'm not usually a big sci-fi book fan, but this was brilliant. Mythical creatures from British Celtic folklore slipping through into modern day Britain and causing chaos. What I loved most was the fact that the author had taken the time to learn about the areas mentioned in the book. I'm from the SW and the references to the Jamaica Inn, the Moors and Buckfastleigh were spot on. I will now always imagine the huntsman when driving along that stretch of the A38!! ( )
  moosenoose | Mar 30, 2013 |
In contemporary Britain, the age of reason ends and the age of magic comes back into being. Ordinary people find themselves thrust into the role of champions and obliged to search for talismans with which to resist evil powers which will plunge the land into perpetual darkness. But the forces of "light" are not necessarily friendly. And the allies they have are not all that helpful. The world around them is collapsing, and the way forward is uncertain. ( )
  Fledgist | Jan 27, 2013 |

Mark Chadbournprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sullivan, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And now the world turns slowly from the light.
Weltendämmerung und Zeitenwende ist die gleiche Reihe. Zeitenwende ist die Neuauflage des Verlags Feder & Schwert.

When Jack Churchill and Ruth Gallagher encounter a terrifying, misshapen giant beneath a London bridge, they are plunged into a mystery that portends the end of the world as we know it. All over the country, the ancient gods of Celtic myth--together with terrifying creatures of folklore--are returning to the land from which they were banished millennia ago. As technology starts to fail, Jack and Ruth are forced to embark on a desperate quest for four magical items--the last chance for humanity in the face of powers barely comprehended.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible