Thornton Wilder Three Plays: Our Town, the…

Thornton Wilder Three Plays: Our Town, the Skin of Our Teeth, the… (edition 1985)

by Thornton Wilder (Author)

From celebrated Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Thornton Wilder, three of the greatest plays in American literature together in one volume. This omnibus edition brings together Wilder's three best-known plays: Our Town, The Skin of Our Teeth, and The Matchmaker. In includes a preface by the author, as well as a foreword by playwright John Guare. Our Town, Wilder's timeless Pulitzer Prize-winning look at love, death, and destiny, opened on Broadway in 1938 and continues to be celebrated and performed around the world. The Skin of our Teeth, Wilder's 1942 romp about human follies and human endurance starring the Antrobus family of Excelsior, New Jersey, earned Wilder his third Pulitzer Prize. The Matchmaker, Wilder's brilliant 1954 farce about money and love starring that irrepressible busybody Dolly Gallagher Levi. This play inspired the Broadway musical Hello, Dolly!… (more)
Member:HobbyHorse33
Title:Thornton Wilder Three Plays: Our Town, the Skin of Our Teeth, the Matchmaker
Authors:Thornton Wilder (Author)
Info:Harpercollins (1985), Edition: Rep, 416 pages

Three Plays: Our Town, The Skin of Our Teeth, and The Matchmaker (Perennial Classics) by Thornton Wilder

Loved the reread of "Our Town", of course. Did not enjoy "The Skin of Our Teeth", and "The Matchmaker" fell somewhere in between those two. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I only read the first, Our Town, to preview it as a possible drama for the 8th graders next year as we are changing up some novels. I thought I had read it before, but after reading it, I don't think I had. I really enjoyed the story, and appreciated the subtlety of message. Simplistic and profound. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
A classic playwright? Or a postmodern playwright before postmodernism was the buzz? Wilder has a touch for the absurd, creating characters who are charming while being surly, ridiculous but recognizable, and so outlandish you just know they have to be for real. The settings are a mixture of the realist period that shaped his youth, with set descriptions that would do Arthur Miller proud, but they aren't actually realistic - there's always something a bit off about them. Ladders for second floors, walls that suddenly jump for no reason, just little touches of craziness and absurdism that help take the edge off plays that could be gritty and realistic if he hadn't made them so outlandish. A true masterpiece of theatre. ( )
  Devil_llama | Aug 16, 2012 |
I teach "Our Town" every year. It is my favorite play, but I enjoy the other 2 almost as much. I was on the prop crew when my college drama department did "Skin of Our Teeth" many years ago. ( )
  MerryMary | Apr 16, 2007 |

Thornton Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tsao, AlexIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No curtain.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,274,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible