The Well of Ascension

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Cosmere (3), Mistborn (2)

Vin, the former street urchin and protege of Kelsier, is now heir to the Mistborn and the new world Kelsier created. When a mad race of giants attempt to take the former capital, Luthadel, Vin and her rebel allies must save the city and its hidden cache of allomancy metals from siege.

English (170)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (174)
Fruitless- which is typical of the second of a trilogy. A good trilogy- which this is proving to be not- at this point has a set of interesting and emotionally involving characters which carry the plot. Maybe it's because I currently live in this "emotional train-wrecking" and "decisional limbo" time of life but I found the constant back-and-forthness of the Vin/Elend relationship rather repetitive... It does not bode well. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Nothing I can say besides that Mr Brandon Sanderson has the ability to make me power through a book this dense and still desire to immediately jump into the next.

And I'm just sitting on my bed at 3:56am, sleep not coming, after having my mind blown by the terrific twists of events in the book. ( )
  violetbaleine | Sep 22, 2021 |
The battle was one of the most epic I've read.The plot twist though.Was hoping it would be Kelsier related, to my disappointment it was not. I thought it perhaps that Allende and Elend being one and the same person it was not.Truly shocking. ( )
  ReneGuenon | Sep 20, 2021 |
Okey, so... short version (without spoilers): it was slower than the first one, but I loved it!

Now, the long version with spoilers(?

This one had a lot more politics than the first one, and it's logical since the Lord Ruler fell and Elend replace him as king. The fall of an empire is never easy: the political, social, religious and economic aspects were all explored in the book with different attention and I appreciate that. I liked it even if that made the reading slow at moments. I don't know if it's actually true, but I felt like there were less action in this one, idk. But the actions scenes were great, like always with Sanderson. I really like the way he writes them.

For the characters... i still love Vin, Elend and Sazed. I loved seeing the diferent moments from their perspectives and I also enjoyed Breeze perspective. For the new characters... Zane was really interesting and I kind of figure out that the voice he heard had to do with the Well. Tindwyl was cool, the romance with Sazed is really cute and also very sad. I wasn't shocked by her dead, I saw it coming, but still made me sad for Sazed.

The Kandra character was also one that I enjoyed. It was cute at moments... and I wasn't expecting him to be the spy and it had a cool revelation. I wonder if he's going to return in book three... it would be fun to see him again.

The final battle was really epic. The Koloss were creepy and a powerful enemy and I honestly thought everyone was going to die before Vin showed up. Seeing ferruchemist used for a battle that large was great, I loved it. I also loved the new metal introduced but was expecting more than one... the table at the end of the book lied(?

All the mistery with the Well, the Depness and the Hero was really cool and I loved it. I had so many theories while reading and that made it more fun to read thought it. At first I thought the Mist Spirit and the voice were the same, but close to the end I started to doubt that... and then when Sazed read that passage about the Holy First Witness that wasn't there before I knew something was wrong... very wrong... and again, I feared everyone was going to die XD glad they didn't.

For Elend gaining powers... well, I kind of expected him to snap the whole book lol every time there was a battle I thought Elend was going to be caught in the middle and snap... glad that in the end he gained the powers thanks to the Well... and Mistborn of all things! The third book is going to be intense!

I basically can't wait to read the next one, but first I want to finish some other books that I have started so I'll have to. ( )
  Merlucito | Sep 19, 2021 |
If The Final Empire was essentially Middle Earth if Sauron won, then The Well of Ascension, Brandon Sanderson’s second entry in the Mistborn series, is Middle Earth if Sauron was defeated… and things still sucked.

Or, in some ways, got worse: ash continues to fall from the sky, and strange mists keep descending at night, but now the mists are killing people. And with the Lord Ruler—Sanderson’s Sauron—dead, his once cohesive empire has splintered into factions warring to carve out new kingdoms.

In Luthadel, the Lord Ruler’s former capital, Vin and the other surviving characters of the first book struggle to keep the city from falling to the three armies converging on it. Much of The Well of Ascension deals with the resulting politicking and fighting. This part of the story didn’t blow me away. Vin remained a somewhat thin character, and Sanderson’s prose, while almost always clear, is rarely inspiring. But there’s plenty of action, and everything worked well enough that I enjoyed myself.

More interesting was what The Well of Ascension does with one of the tiredest tropes in fantasy: prophecy. The Final Empire hinted at how the foretellings of old had been betrayed two thousand years earlier by the Lord Ruler, when he killed the Hero of Ages and usurped the legendary figure’s rightful power. In the second book, Sazed, one of Vin’s companions, investigates the prophecies and discovers how they’ve been altered to suit various purposes. It’s a nice repackaging of the “Chosen One” motif: we’re not sure what’s already been fulfilled, what’s still to come, and what’s even real.

So, while The Well of Ascension isn’t Tolkien (and what is?), it—and the rest of the Mistborn series—stands as a creative fantasy in its own right. Worth a look.

(For more reviews like this one, see www.nickwisseman.com) ( )
  nickwisseman | Aug 30, 2021 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyon, HowardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,540,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible