by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn Era 1 (2), Cosmere (3), Mistborn (2)

Fantasy. Fiction. HTML:

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, the Mistborn series is a heist story of political intrigue and magical, martial-arts action.
The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler ?? the man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years ?? has been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead too, and now the awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young protégé, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and to the idealistic young nobleman she loves.
As Kelsier's protégé and slayer of the Lord Ruler she is now venerated by a budding new religion, a distinction that makes her intensely uncomfortable. Even more worrying, the mists have begun behaving strangely since the Lord Ruler died, and seem to harbor a strange vaporous entity that haunts her.
Stopping assassins may keep Vin's Mistborn skills sharp, but it's the least of her problems. Luthadel, the largest city of the former empire, doesn't run itself, and Vin and the other members of Kelsier's crew, who lead the revolution, must learn a whole new set of practical and political skills to help. It certainly won't get easier with three armies ?? one of them composed of ferocious giants ?? now vying to conquer the city, and no sign of the Lord Ruler's hidden cache of atium, the rarest and most powerful allomantic metal.
As the siege of Luthadel tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.
Other Tor books by Brandon Sanderson

The Reckoners
Steelheart
Firefight
… (more)

English (204)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (211)
Sanderson is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors. Can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  Vitaly1 | May 28, 2023 |
Sanderson strikes again. Just like with the first Mistborn I struggled through the first 75% of the book before I started to get really into it. I have so much respect for the world-building and magic system here, so I’m not really sure why these books are such a struggle for me – it might be the audiobook narrator. But, just like before, I couldn’t put Ascension down for the last quarter of the book and I’m prepared to struggle through book #3 in anticipation of a solid ending. ( )
  dinahmine | May 23, 2023 |
This is hard because I loved this book for the first 550 or so pages and then I have such mixed feelings about the ending and am rather bothered by the epilogue. ( )
  Notereader | Apr 19, 2023 |
Very torn between a 3.5 and a 4 star review, but rounding up to be nice, lol. The latter half of the book (as per usual with Sandersoon books in my experience) was very good, but the first ~40% felt like a total slog to me personally, as someone not very invested in the Vin/Elend relationship and politics...

Update: I have been stewing on this hecking book for months and am grumpily lowering my rating down to 3 stars. I have borrowed the third book and am looking forward to reading it, so let's hope it redeems this one! ( )
1 vote palinalif | Mar 1, 2023 |
I'm a sucker for plot twists and am realizing I like political drama. This has a ton of both. I was re-reading this, having first read it about 5 years ago. While I forgot some of the plot twists, I did remember the main one, and watching it unfold was great. Sanderson is brilliant. :D ( )
  bangerlm | Jan 18, 2023 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyon, HowardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

Fantasy. Fiction. HTML:

Other books by Brandon Sanderson
The Reckoners
Steelheart
Firefight

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 188,457,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible