The Well of Ascension: A Mistborn Novel by…

The Well of Ascension: A Mistborn Novel (edition 2014)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

Series: Cosmere (3), Mistborn (2)

Vin, the former street urchin and protege of Kelsier, is now heir to the Mistborn and the new world Kelsier created. When a mad race of giants attempt to take the former capital, Luthadel, Vin and her rebel allies must save the city and its hidden cache of allomancy metals from siege.
Member:Toastar
Title:The Well of Ascension: A Mistborn Novel
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Tor Teen (2014), 784 pages

Work Information

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

English (180)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (184)
Vin has killed the Lord Ruler and Elend is now king, but assassins threaten peace, the freed people are starving and cold, and armies are camped around the city. Vin is still discovering her Mistborn abilities and Elend finds that a democratic rule is not as easy as portrayed in his books.
Sanderson has a wonderful way of depicting fights using Mistborn powers; I twist myself up in my chair as I envision the different positions of Pulling or Pushing as combat ensues. I really enjoy the world-building and lore, and I appreciate that it's not just dumped, but shown.
Every character is interesting with fleshed-out backgrounds and growth. There are lots of twists that contribute to the reader's enjoyment. I really love these books and I'm still wondering why I haven't read them earlier in my life. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Dec 5, 2021 |
About a year after overthrowing the Lord Ruler, the remaining crew that Kelsier left behind struggles to maintain their control over Luthadel. Elend, the starry-eyed dreamer of a noble now king, isn't a strong leader and has set up a government leaving an in-fighting Assembly with a lot of power. Then, an army gets ready to invade: Elend's father, Straff. Vin, meanwhile, is out patrolling the city and trying to keep Elend safe from assassins, when she meets a fellow Mistborn who sows doubt that she might just be a tool.

I really enjoyed my first foray into Sanderson's works with Mistborn, and the second book in the series did not disappoint. It was great to reacquaint myself with Elend and Vin, Sazed, and the rest. Most of the action centers on Elend and Vin, with a little more on Sazed. More of the mythology of the Deepness and the Hero of Ages is explored, and the end left with a most annoying cliffhanger knowing that there was more that the Terrismen didn't know about the prophecies. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes next. ( )
  bell7 | Nov 29, 2021 |
I suffered through all three.. ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
I'm starting to realize I can't read long books anymore because by the time I get to the end, I feel like I'm going crazy and I don't have the patience left to read the rest of it. I ended up skimming the last 40 pages of this. But the book being long is not the reason I'm giving it 3 stars.

So, why am I giving it 3 stars? Because I absolutely do not care about Vin or Elend, or their relationship, or the angsty crap that Vin is going through, or their inner monologues. The only characters I thought were interesting were Sazed and OreSeur, and, to a lesser extent, Zane. But, since Vin (and, by extension, Elend) are the main characters, I can't give this book a higher rating because so much of the book is spent with characters that I don't care about and find tedious to read about. ( )
  FiraHunter | Nov 14, 2021 |
This was dope. ( )
  zbdd | Oct 31, 2021 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyon, HowardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,536,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible