The Mortal Word by Genevieve Cogman

A solid entry in the series which move Irene's career and relationships a bit and is filled with actions and dangerous situations. It is hard to believe the dragons as portrayed are creatures of order, and flows swiftly through them. but well the Fae are something else, not to mention the trouble Librarians can add to the mix. ( )
  quondame | Jan 10, 2019 |
When I started this series 2 years ago, I thought the first book had potential, was fun, but wasn't blown away by it. But here, at Book 5 in the series, I feel Cogman has really grown as a writer and, having gotten a lot of existential angst out of the way in earlier books, is able to concentrate on an intricate plot while still having a lot of fun. This is the best one yet, in other words! Not much about the Library, but an action-filled murder mystery that pushes Irene to her utmost. Go read the series. ( )
  ronincats | Jan 5, 2019 |
Irene is sent to investigate the murder of a high-ranking dragon that threatens to derail peace negotiations between the dragons and the Fae, in a late-nineteenth-century Paris that’s under threat from anarchists and, it turns out, the Countess Bathory. Kai, no longer working under her, is still constrained by his family obligations (which include the suggestion that he seduce Irene to get more information about the Library’s activities), while Vale comes along to help investigate, as does the Fae Lord Silver. It’s a good entry into the post-Alberich situation with the Library and the varying worlds. ( )
  rivkat | Jan 1, 2019 |
Irene Winters is back in alt London with Peregrine Vale, when she and Vale are called to investigate a murder in another version of Belle Epoque Paris. The Dragons and the Fae are negotiating a peace treaty with the Librarians acting as mediators, and a high-ranking member of the Dragon delegation has been murdered. Vale is hired to investigate, and Irene and Lord Silver are the representatives of the Librarians and the Fae. An independent judge-investigator is the Dragon representative.

Cue an investigation that is complicated by Dragon and Fae natures, anarchists, infernal devices (and places), all set in Belle Epoque Paris with it’s decadence, glamour and seediness.

Recommended.
  Maddz | Dec 26, 2018 |
THE MORTAL WORD is the fifth book in The Invisible Library series. I've read every single book in the series and I could not wait to read this book. Irene's job is to steal rare books from different worlds for the Invisible Library. She loves her job, the adventures, the books. After a job in Germany, Irene learns about a secret Dragon-Foe peace conference that the Library is overseeing. But when a high- ranking Dragon is murdered, the peace talks come to a halt. Irene and her friend, private detective Vale, are ordered to go to 1890s Paris and investigate the murder and find out who killed the dragon, and why?

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 21, 2018 |
To my parents, with love and thanks for everything
My lord father, Please forgive the haste and informality of this letter: you know my respect for you and my obedience to your will.

Cold-blooded murder
A peace conf'rence in Paris
Irene finds the truth
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,654,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible