dismiss

The Henchmen of Zenda

by KJ Charles

Jasper Detchard is a disgraced British officer, now selling his blade to the highest bidder. Currently that's Michael Elphberg, half-brother to the King of Ruritania. Michael wants the throne for himself, and Jasper is one of the scoundrels he hires to help him take it. But when Michael makes his move, things don't go entirely to plan-and the penalty for treason is death.Rupert of Hentzau is Michael's newest addition to his sinister band of henchmen. Charming, lethal, and intolerably handsome, Rupert is out for his own ends-which seem to include getting Jasper into bed. But Jasper needs to work out what Rupert's really up to amid a maelstrom of plots, swordfights, scheming, impersonation, desire, betrayal, and murder.Nobody can be trusted. Everyone has a secret. And love is the worst mistake you can make.Contains mature themes.… (more)
    Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser (nessreader)
    nessreader: A cad's eye view of the victorian world ; swashbuckling and cynicism

Quite a bit of intrigue and adventure. I didn't feel as engaged as I usually do with Charles, but it was still entertaining. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Jan 3, 2022 |
This was based on a book I never read. But it it felt like watching the Princess Bride. Just good fun. I have to admit I missed the romance somewhat. On the other hand... this story really didn't need it. It was bloody fun even though most of the characters were shitheads. Which made me like them even more for some reason. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
Loved it. An excellent and infinitely more entertaining (and also more believable!) telling of the events in The Prisoner of Zenda.
If you haven't read the original work yet, I strongly suggest you do so before starting this one. ( )
  NannyOgg13 | Mar 27, 2021 |
This was absolutely brilliant!

An excellent behind-the-scenes explanation of the events that took place in [b:The Prisoner of Zenda|54492|The Prisoner of Zenda|Anthony Hope|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1356449081s/54492.jpg|2661176]. More intrigue, more deceit and backstabbing; spies and double-triple-quadruple agents galore! In other words, a truly delightful read! I hope there is more to come :) (Please, KJC! PLEASE! I am not above begging!)

That said, I strongly suggest to not to skip the original!

... you won't regret it! :D The books complete each other perfectly!

*happy sigh*
  Mrella | Mar 8, 2021 |
Oh yeah, that’s the stuff.

This book has everything: political intrigue, double-crosses, shenanigans, impostors, TRIPLE-CROSSES, sword-fights, ruthless women, and a couple of snarky anti-heroes as romantic leads. A hilarious, swashbuckling, roaring romp with an amazing cover.

I just had so much fun reading it I couldn’t stop smiling. Bless romance authors for giving us such gems that make life a little bit brighter. ( )
  tetiana.90 | May 1, 2020 |
When I read a story, I skip the explanations; yet the moment I begin to write one, I find that I must have an explanation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,008,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible