Singapore Girl (An Ash Carter Thriller) by…

Singapore Girl (An Ash Carter Thriller)

by Murray Bailey

1481,003,835 (3.69)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Murray Bailey’s book Singapore Girl is a thriller set in Singapore. It isn’t the first book in the series however I didn’t feel that I was missing anything pivotal to the story. The only things that hinted at the previous book was the history of Ash and the secretary, and the gun wound that Ash has at the beginning is probably as a result of a mission in the first book. But on the whole it didn’t affect the story at all.

Ash Carter has been off work for a while recovering from a gun shot wound but he’s called back to work early to help with a new case. A headless body has been found on the causeway between Singapore and Malaya. Ash has to work out if this is just another drug war punishment or something more. As children start going missing, Ash finds links to the establishment and knows he’s getting close to the truth. Then the investigation gets shut down but it’s not in Ash’s nature to quit…

The crime was intriguing and very different from others that I have seen. The whole story was very intense and complex. There were so many twists and red herrings in this book that I didn’t know what was going on – I had suspicions but no confirmation. It was tense and full of so much action that I didn’t want to put it down when I finished a chapter.

The characters were interesting: Ash was outgoing, intelligent and full of life. I also liked Jane’s character: she was sweet and passionate about what she does – I hope there is more about her in the next books. Ash’s partner was also hilarious: I loved how he explained typical British sayings and the humour he had with Ash was enjoyable to read. The other, less major characters were also interesting because it was almost impossible to tell which size they were on. They were suspicious but not overly obvious.

Singapore Girl is set in the 1950s in British colonial times and it’s so clear that Bailey has done a lot of research into the time period to make it believable. The setting of political conflict makes an interesting backdrop for the novel. The descriptions of the old fashioned planes were also fascinating.

I really enjoyed this book! I received it from LibraryThing and Bailey sent me a signed copy (which was fab). Overall, the brilliant writing, cracking plot and fact I had no idea how it was going to end meant I really enjoyed reading this book beginning t end. It definitely deserves its 5 star rating and I’m looking forward to reading more novels by Bailey. ( )
  thelittlelibraryx | Sep 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting fast paced crime story set in Singapore in the 50s. To tell the truth I haven’t really understood why I didn’t really like the book, probably because I didn’t interested in the military background of the story at all. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Jun 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn't realise in advance that this is part of an ongoing series - and it didn't matter one bit. The story was tense, involved, full of action and had more than one puzzle to solve. So, ideal for anyone who enjoys thrillers and crime novels.

It's also a great story for anyone interested in a far eastern historical context as it's set in a very atmospheric post-war Singapore-Malaya border region, which accounts for the militaristic casualness of the violent elements of the story, the rather misogynist attitudes and the fascinating details of aeroplanes. If I hadn't been travelling around Europe whilst reading it I'd have treated myself to following Ash Carter's journeys on maps. ( )
  urutherford | Jun 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Based in Singapore, Ash Carter is an ex-military policeman who is now working for the government secretary responsible for internal security When a headless and handless body is discovered on a causeway between Singapore and Malaya, he is assigned to investigate the death: does it represent another drug-war punishment or something more? His investigations, which take him through Malaya, as far as Penang, soon reveal that there is going to be nothing straightforward about this case. He discovers that children are going missing, that not only are there links with organised crime and the military, but that powerful people in the establishment are intent on shutting down the investigation. However, as well as having a highly-developed sense of moral duty and a need to pursue justice, Ash is too much of a maverick to allow such matters to stop him continuing with his investigations, whatever the threats to his own safety – or his job security!
This fast-moving story is set in 1952, in British colonial times during the Malayan emergency. It was obvious that the period had been well-researched and I thought that the author’s descriptions of this turbulent period of history created a vivid, highly atmospheric picture of the struggles which were being faced by the many factions involved. The conflicting interests of the wealthy and powerful, the colonial forces, the military, as well as those intent on pursuing a range of criminal activities, were well portrayed and captured an evocative sense of the period. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the various locations – there were times when I could almost feel the steamy heat of the tropical season in Singapore and the Malay jungle!
The story abounds with constant twists and turns, is full of multiple red-herrings and the short chapters made it easy to get carried along with the almost incessant action. However, there were times when I found that the high-octane activity of the main character, who seemed to be able to manipulate military and civilian resources at will in order to pursue his investigations, not only felt rather exhausting but also required rather too much suspension of disbelief! The biggest disappointment for me was that I felt unable to feel any real investment in any of the characters because all felt rather too stereotypical and one-dimensional. As this is the second book featuring Ash Carter, and although it was easy to read as a stand-alone story, I frequently found myself wondering whether I was missing something vital about him, something which, had I read the first book, would have made him appeal as a more psychologically convincing character. Nevertheless, this was an easy and relatively enjoyable “escapist” read, although its appeal for reading groups would probably be rather limited. ( )
1 vote linda.a. | Jun 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book tells the story of an ex military policeman who is employed in a somewhat nebulous role in the Singapore administration while the Malayan emergency is going on.

He travels between civilian and military life, seeming able to commandeer vehicles,planes and people from whatever organisation he is closest to.

There is derring-do. There is love interest. There is all the component parts of a competent thriller. Unfortunately there is nothing beyond that.

It was an enjoyable enough, completely unchallenging and relaxing book to read. Maybe I'm too demanding ( )
  chive | May 26, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Murray Bailey's book Singapore Girl is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Murray Bailey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,538,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible