An Unwanted Guest: A Novel by Shari Lapena

An Unwanted Guest: A Novel (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Shari Lapena (Author)

"A weekend retreat at a cozy mountain lodge is supposed to be the perfect getaway. But when the storm hits, no one is getting away. It's winter in the Catskills and Mitchell's Inn, nestled deep in the woods, is the perfect setting for a relaxing maybe even romantic weekend away. It boasts spacious old rooms with huge woodburning fireplaces, a well-stocked wine cellar, and opportunities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or just curling up with a good murder mystery. So when the weather takes a turn for the worse, and a blizzard cuts off the electricity and all contact with the outside world the guests settle in for the long haul. Soon, though, one of the guests turns up dead it looks like an accident. But when a second guest dies, they start to panic. Within the snowed-in paradise, something or someone is picking off the guests one by one. And there's nothing they can do but hunker down and hope they can survive the storm"--… (more)
Member:rlr1
Title:An Unwanted Guest: A Novel
Authors:Shari Lapena (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2019), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages

An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapeña (2018)

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (MissBrangwen)
    Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie (MissBrangwen)
    MissBrangwen: Both mysteries, although different in style, feature the murder of a similar character in a holiday setting.

English (54)  German (1)  All languages (55)
There were so many details that just didn't make sense. For instance, everyone ran out of cell phone power to call the police. Hello? They could go start their cars to charge their phone? None of the characters were deeply developed imo. It was a page turner but still wasn't what I expected. ( )
  debweeva | Jun 30, 2021 |
I'd give this between 3-3.5 stars.

I found the writing and the characters flat. I honestly just wanted to see how the author was going to spin the story. That's what kept me going. The ending made sense but I never felt any urgency or desperation from the characters. We found out who did it and then were rushed through the explanation. I mean, peoples lives were taken so I wanted a little more from the murderer and the families. ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
Pretty good story, characters were ok. No huge twists, but the ending was a surprise anyway. ( )
  MrsHammyMax | Apr 11, 2021 |
A well written fast paced thriller, with a perfect setting of a remote inn, snowy weather and no connection to the outer world. As the guests begin winding up dead an eerie feeling looms around.

The entire plot is filled with questionable characters each having their own hidden secrets that you end up suspecting all of them. The suspense is maintained throughout, so it keeps you hooked on and the twist at the end is pretty good.
  Vanessa_Menezes | Mar 17, 2021 |
I think this was an amazing story of the game Clue in real life! I loved it! Something different and unexpected. I was definitely not disappointed! ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |

Shari Lapeñaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Merz, AxelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano, ErvinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vegas, KarinaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mum
The road curves and twists unexpectedly as it leads higher and deeper into the Catskill Mountains, as if the farther you get from civilization the more uncertain the path.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,425,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible