An Unwanted Guest: A Novel by Shari Lapena

An Unwanted Guest: A Novel (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Shari Lapena (Author)

AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER  The twisty new thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Couple Next Door and A Stranger in the House A weekend retreat at a cozy mountain lodge is supposed to be the perfect getaway . . . but when the storm hits, no one is getting away It's winter in the Catskills and Mitchell's Inn, nestled deep in the woods, is the perfect setting for a relaxing--maybe even romantic--weekend away. It boasts spacious old rooms with huge woodburning fireplaces, a well-stocked wine cellar, and opportunities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or just curling up with a good murder mystery. So when the weather takes a turn for the worse, and a blizzard cuts off the electricity--and all contact with the outside world--the guests settle in and try to make the best of it. Soon, though, one of the guests turns up dead--it looks like an accident. But when a second guest dies, they start to panic. Within the snowed-in paradise, something--or someone--is picking off the guests one by one. And there's nothing they can do but hunker down and hope they can survive the storm--and one another.… (more)
Member:tiffanymo
Title:An Unwanted Guest: A Novel
Authors:Shari Lapena (Author)
Info:Pamela Dorman Books (2018), Edition: First Edition, 304 pages

Work Information

An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapeña (2018)

Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie (MissBrangwen)
    MissBrangwen: Both mysteries, although different in style, feature the murder of a similar character in a holiday setting.
    The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (MissBrangwen)

English (57)  German (1)  All languages (58)
I read The Couple Next Door by the author some years ago and I loved the book. Also, this book's blurb about strangers being trapped in an inn without having a chance to get from the place, with a murderer? I was sold!

My only regret with this book is that I wanted to read the book in the middle of the winter, hopefully with a blizzard outside. Instead, I read it in the middle of one of the hottest summer ever. Not that the outside climate affects the story of the book. It was just that I wanted to get in the mood...;)

My favorite kind of stories crime stories are where there are plenty of suspects and you try to figure out who's the killer. And, in An Unwanted Guest have we plenty of suspects to choose from. All of them seem to have secrets they try to keep hidden. I have not read Agatha Christie's books, but I have set plenty of the movies and TV series and this book felt like one of her stories. We even had our own "Poirot" trying to figure out who the killer is. Although we couldn't be sure that he was not the guilty one.

Shari Lapena has become a favorite author of mine. I have yet to read A Stranger in the House by her, but it's high on my list of books to read. An Unwanted Guest is an excellent whodunnit book that will keep you guessing right until the end! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
I enjoyed the book. A great suspense thriller. Kept me guessing until the end. ( )
  RoSands | Jul 18, 2022 |
This is the third Lapena book I’ve read so far. It didn’t seem to be as good as the other two. Too many characters and so much jumping around from one character to the next. It’s an interesting mystery, but just harder to follow than the other two I’ve read. ( )
  CandyH | Feb 24, 2022 |
Don’t expect to be able to solve this mystery. Readers aren’t given any reliable clues until the very end. The author does a great job building suspense as the story develops. It’s similar in atmosphere to the movies “Clue” and “And Then There Were None.” It takes place in a secluded hotel, the occupants trapped there by a horrible storm, and then people start to die. Eventually, no one knows whom to trust, and just about everyone still living is a suspect. Just like in movies I mentioned, everyone has a dirty little secret they are hiding, but which will, of course, be disclosed. Even though none of the characters would be somebody you’d invite for dinner, you still will be engrossed in their story, thanks to the masterful writing style of the author. The book is a quick read, so don’t peek at the end - you’ll want to be surprised at the twist! ( )
  Maydacat | Jan 3, 2022 |
read this book if you love reading the same descriptions of a building from the perspective of NINE different undeveloped characters. also she literally describes a woman's breasts as 'billowing' at one point. ( )
1 vote prunetracy | Oct 30, 2021 |

Shari Lapeñaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Merz, AxelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano, ErvinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vegas, KarinaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mum
The road curves and twists unexpectedly as it leads higher and deeper into the Catskill Mountains, as if the farther you get from civilization the more uncertain the path.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,267,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible